Official Pre-game Thread: Week 10, Bills at Steelers

Dan

Week 10: Buffalo Bills at Pittsburgh Steelers

Sunday, November 10, 2013 at 1:00pm

TV Network: CBS (TV Map)

Announcers: Marv Albert and Rich Gannon

DirecTV: 710

Bills Radio:

On the call: John Murphy (play by play), Mark Kelso (analyst), Joe Buscaglia (sideline)

Flagship: Buffalo – WGR550 (550AM); Toronto - Sportsnet 590 The Fan

Rochester - WCMF (96.5) and WROC (950AM); Syracuse - WTKW (99.5/WTKV 105.5)

Sirius: 117

=================================================================

Game Preview:

While Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is looking for something to turn around his team's disappointing season, the Buffalo Bills hope rookie quarterback EJ Manuel is healthy enough to help them get back on track.

Both teams will be trying to avoid a third straight defeat when the Steelers look to continue their dominance over the visiting Bills on Sunday.

Buffalo has dropped four straight and eight of nine to the Steelers, including playoffs. The Bills, who last played in Pittsburgh in 2007, are 2-9 there and have been outscored 136-40 during a five-game regular-season and playoff road skid in the series.

Read more at ESPN game preview...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scouting Report: Week 10 (from Buffalo Bills.com Chris Brown)

NFL.com Video Preview

Tunch's Keys to Steelers vs Bills

NFL.com Game Center

Teams Stats:   Bills         Steelers

Total Yds/Game.... 344.7        341.8

Total Rush.............145.8           73.6

Total Pass............. 198.9         268.1

Points/Game.......... 21.0           19.5

Time of Poss.......... 28.0           30.4

----------------------------------------------

Yds/Gm Allowed... 362.1         341.2

Rush Yards........... 115.2         131.2

Pass Yards........... 246.9         210.0

Points Allowed........ 26.2           26.0

Source: NFL.com

Injury Report:

Buffalo Bills

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Goodwin, Marquise WR          Hamstring        DNP     LP       FP         Probable

Lawson, Manny        LB     Non-injury related     -         -        DNP       Questionable

Lewis, Thad             QB             Ribs                FP      FP       FP          Probable

Manuel, EJ               QB            Knee               FP      FP       FP          Probable

Williams, Kyle           DL           Achilles            DNP   FP       FP          Probable

Woods, Robert         WR           Ankle              DNP   DNP    DNP        Doubtful

Source: BuffaloBills.com

Pittsburgh Steelers

NAME            POSITION    INJURY         WED.   THU.   FRI.    GAME STATUS

Adams, Mike           OT              Ribs                -            -       DNP       Questionable

Beachum, Kelvin     OG             Knee              LP         LP     FP          Probable

DeCastro, David      OG             Ankle             FP         FP     FP          Probable

Gilbert, Marcus         T               Ankle             LP          LP     LP          Questionable

Heyward, Cameron DE              Knee              FP         FP     FP          Probable

Miller, Heath            TE     Not injury related    LP         FP     FP           Probable

Taylor, Ike               CB          Concussion      DNP        FP     FP          Probable

Velasco, Fernando  C/G            Thigh              LP         FP     FP          Probable

Wheaton, Markus    WR            Finger             FP         FP     FP          Probable

Williams, Vince        LB          Concussion      DNP        LP     FP          Probable

Source: Steelers.com

Practice Status                                                                                         Game Status

DNP = Did Not Participate in Practice                                                      Out = Player will not play

LP = Limited Participation - Less than 100% of normal reps                    Doubtful = 25% chance a player will play

FP = Full Participation - 100% of a player's normal repetitions                Questionable = 50% chance a player will play

Out = Player will not play                                                                          Probable = 75% chance a player will play

(-) = Not Listed = No practice status available                                          (-) = Not Listed - No game status available

The Odds:

Line: Steelers -3 even

Over/Under: 43.5

Source: The Linemakers

Up to date lines... if you're in Vegas.

My Take on the Matchup:

Finally, we get an "easy" game.  The Steelers are 2-6, for a reason.  They rank pretty low in all the key offensive and defensive categories.  The 2 teams actually stack up pretty similar, just as our records indicate.  The primary difference being in the running and passing games.  The Steelers pass better than they run, while the Bills run better than they pass.

This week, hopefully, the match up favors Buffalo with EJ getting back in the lineup and CJ being as healthy as he has all season.  If we can continue our season average on the ground while stepping up the passing game, the game might be a good one for us.

Assuming EJ can do that, the key to this game, therefore, becomes turnovers and red zone efficiency.  We simply have to win the turn over battle.  As good as the defense played last week, they didn't generate any turnovers.  This week, we need to force a couple.  Also, when/if we get down inside the 10 yard line, we need touch downs.  Not FGs and certainly not turnovers.  

With that in mind, I'll be watching:

1. Red Zone play calling.  Marrone said this week they need to make changes in this part of their game.  Will they?  Will we see more creative play calls.

2. EJ Manuel.  He's the big question mark.  I'm sure his knee will be fine. But, will his play be an improvement over Thad's?  Thad and Tuel, even, connected on some deep balls, can EJ? The last time I remember seeing him throw deep, it was all sideline passes 5 yards out of bounds.  Will he actually look better than he did in week 4? Or did the time off set his development back?  It's gonna be exciting to see how this kid looks.

3. Marcus Easley.  With Woods injured, will he finally get some significant playing time?  If so, can he out play Hogan, like so many people here think he will.

4. Our defensive line.  The Steelers line is not good at all which should make for a good game for Mario, Kyle and the boys.  Hopefully, they're pumped and steamroll Big Ben on the way to a dominating performance.

5. Kickoffs.  Is it just me, or are the Bills the only team in the league that can't consistently kick the ball through the end zone?  Are they purposely kicking it short?  I don't get it at all.

Go Bills!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Kid gloves come off for Manuel today. Hopefully he's continued to develop mentally as an NFL QB even while missing out on the on-field development. Because the Bills need him to play like a rookie with 9 starts under his belt - not 5 - if they are going to be able to make some noise in the AFC in the remaining games this season.

I think the field is going to be an issue today.

Bad news for a team like us that likes to play fast. Works well for a team like the Steelers who are big and physical and slow. Home field advantage for them

Edited by kdiggz

As always, much thanks to you, Dan!

1. I heard Marrone talk about changing some things up in the Red Zone. I agree some tweaks may be in order, but my impression is that in the Red Zone, the same "problem" exists on the other 80 yards of the field: execution. That said, I don't want them to miss opportunities because they're running something that hasn't been practiced enough or where the players aren't sure of what they're doing because it's completely novel. EJ's biggest issue when he was in was trying to force things rather than take what the defense was giving. Simply put, "Don't get cute, exeCUTE!" lol

2. See above: EJ needs to see the field better than he has. Yes, those deep throws were off target, but on many of them, Woods or another receiver was breaking free over the middle for an easier throw. I know he hasn't gotten a lot of live reps, but hopefully his time in the booth has allowed him a valuable perspective on where he can anticipate WRs coming open.

3. I'd also love to see Easley get on the field more. He's more of an outside guy, so I don't think he's necessarily in direct competition with Hogan for snaps, but Hogan is essentially worthless IMO. If they do line him up inside, I want to see them try to use his size and speed to exploit the seam.

4. Agreed. The entire front seven should reap the benefits. Kiko should have a clear path to the ball carrier, in addition to the front four getting after the QB.

5. I think they might be designing the kickoffs to be fielded just shy of the goal line. With the short field, perhaps the Bills think that if they make the returner field the ball in play, they can get to him before he gets to the twenty. Not a bad strategy if they can execute. WIth ball being kicked from the 35, it's not unreasonable to expect your coverage team to get there in time, they just have to execute. I'm not a fan of Crossman, and I'd rather play it safe and just give them a touchback, but maybe that's a nod to analytics.

As far as the field conditions, even if it slows down the Bills speedsters, the advantage still goes to the offense. I'm hoping Hackett takes the field into consideration and dials up some play action or pump and gos to exploit the DBs who should have trouble changing direction and/or recovering from an initial misstep.

GO BILLS

I have to tell you that last weeks formula minus Fuel being a complete bag will win 9 out of 10 games. Good run game and great D. Think Marrone and Company will try to do the same with EJ this week. We can and will be dominant in our run game today. My prediction for Pitt today in their house?........PAIN.

I have to tell you that last weeks formula minus Fuel being a complete bag will win 9 out of 10 games. Good run game and great D. Think Marrone and Company will try to do the same with EJ this week. We can and will be dominant in our run game today. My prediction for Pitt today in their house?........PAIN.

This. I hope the coaching staff realizes (I'm sure they do) how thoroughly the Bills dominated the KC game on both ends. Minus two bonehead turnovers and we win that game easily.