I like this assessment of the team at mid season

Kellyto83TD

The Buffalo Bills defense is spending the week preparing for the Steelers offense and QB Ben Roethlisberger. There's plenty of film to view.

The Pittsburgh Steelers defense is spending the week doing what? QB is the most important position of the offense. And if you don't know which QB you're facing you're at a disadvantage.

Bigger Picture: Any analysis of the Buffalo Bills at this point is completely useless. Had EJ not injured his knee in training camp and the other knee against Cleveland he would have played every game so far. Then you can make analysis.

All season long the Bills have been a mess at the QB position. Opponents not knowing which Bills QB almost every week leaves them at a huge disadvantage to start the game.

Different QBs nearly every week makes for a schizophrenic football team with schizophrenic games and schizophrenic/useless mid-season analysis.

P.S. I don't mean to picking an argument with you, Captain. I just think that the revolving QB situation in Buffalo makes for flawed analysis.

So if the Steelers really want to get back on the winning track, they should sit Big Ben and promote up their Practice Squad QB. Why don't more coaches do this? The Packers don't knw how lucky they are!!

This article was spot on. A very accurate assessment of the team from top to bottom.

In my opinion, the problem with ESPN and other sports-news outlets isn't objectivity. It's that 99 percent of the writers/announcers don't know anything about the Bills. In fact, they don't seem to know anything about ANY teams and players that aren't in the top quarter of the NFL (New England, Denver, New Orleans, San Francisco, etc...)

I agree 100%

Yeah a pretty fair assessment I'd say. Giving coaching a B overall might be a bit high in my opinion. But I can see where one could think Pettine can pull the overall up to a B I guess.

I actually think thats spot on. With all the injuries to key players, its amazing we are 3-6 and have kept most games as close as we have.

Can you imagine how this team would have looked if Gailey or DJ were running it?

CBF

The Buffalo Bills defense is spending the week preparing for the Steelers offense and QB Ben Roethlisberger. There's plenty of film to view.

The Pittsburgh Steelers defense is spending the week doing what? QB is the most important position of the offense. And if you don't know which QB you're facing you're at a disadvantage.

Bigger Picture: Any analysis of the Buffalo Bills at this point is completely useless. Had EJ not injured his knee in training camp and the other knee against Cleveland he would have played every game so far. Then you can make analysis.

All season long the Bills have been a mess at the QB position. Opponents not knowing which Bills QB almost every week leaves them at a huge disadvantage to start the game.

Different QBs nearly every week makes for a schizophrenic football team with schizophrenic games and schizophrenic/useless mid-season analysis.

P.S. I don't mean to picking an argument with you, Captain. I just think that the revolving QB situation in Buffalo makes for flawed analysis.

Fair enough. I just think when Lewis and Manuel have similar skill sets you see the same offense with a few wrinkles. Now going from a guy like Vick to Foles maybe that changes the offense a lot but two similar guys? The same offense is going to be run for the most part

I actually think thats spot on. With all the injuries to key players, its amazing we are 3-6 and have kept most games as close as we have.

Can you imagine how this team would have looked if Gailey or DJ were running it?

CBF

Yeah I hear ya. But I'm talking about some of the play calls, challenges, and general clock management for all the games so far. Remove Pettine from the scoring and I have a hard time grading the rest out at a B.

I don't think a coach should get a B for keeping games close. Close games count in the loss column as much as blow outs. B sounds generous to me especially when some of his bone headed decisions have cost us games. ie No serviceable backup for the Clown game. Going for it on 4th and 1 vs Bungles. Letting a rookie QB pass into the EZ while up by 7 and you've been killing it with the run game. Letting rookie QB throw 39 passes.

C to C- sounds more appropriate to me.

Yeah, the Jets destroyed EJ for 8 or his 13 total sacks. In his other 3 1/2 games he's been sacked 5 times.

Thad, on the other hand made the OL look horrible getting sacked at least 4 times in each game, 5 vs. Cincy.

As many sacks as Thad took, I will give him credit for this: he picked up far more third and longs than EJ ever did. Mostly because he holds the ball and allowed for routes to develop down the field. EJ often seemed content to throw 3-4 yards on 3rd and 7+ rather quickly. This was even covered in the All 22 criticism of his play, diagnosing how many big plays and first downs EJ sacrificed in favor of getting the ball out quickly. He did mention that he learned a lot by watching Thad and his success, so I'm expecting/hoping he allows downfield routes to develop going forward.