This Team Stinks

Storm Front

I felt the game was pretty entertaining. undrafted FA QB starting his first game aside. The run game was fun to watch and the defense didn't allow a touchdown.

It was entertaining...if you enjoy pulling your hair out over the stupidity of some of the plays.

3rd and goal they let the un drafted FA rookie QB in his first NFL start throw it up for grabs, which he did! Then the coaches blame the QB for the failure of the play.

Tuel went won only 4 of 22 starts while in college. Only two ways I put that game in that kids hands, no way & no how.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only problem is that it's cute when it's a toddler, but this baby is thirteen years old and starting

to grow a stache.

The thirteen year old baby has long since left the house....it's a grown and unemployed failure. We have a new baby that's very hopefully being nurtured in the proper environment such that it'll grow up to be strong, prosperous, and productive. :thumbsup:

The thirteen year old baby has long since left the house....it's a grown and unemployed failure. We have a new baby that's very hopefully being nurtured in the proper environment such that it'll grow up to be strong, prosperous, and productive. :thumbsup:

I like that attitude. But it worries me that we still lose in the same bizarre improbable ways that we have been losing for the last 13 years.

a chiefs player blows coverage which leads to him getting a 100 yard pick 6. Our receiver is literally tapped and the ball is fumbled. I have never seen the bills on the other side of plays like that.

Since we are using baby analogies, right now people walking by the Bills would say, oh, look at the

ugly baby.

Since we are using baby analogies, right now people walking by the Bills would say, oh, look at the

ugly baby.

It's not ugly...It's just learning to walk and talk. It sometimes falls down and also throws up on itself, but always gets back up to try walking again.

It'll grow up and make you proud some day soon. Bill-ieve it!

3rd and goal they let the un drafted FA rookie QB in his first NFL start throw it up for grabs, which he did! Then the coaches blame the QB for the failure of the play.

Honestly, this complaint makes no sense to me. I am pretty sure there is no play in Hackett's playbook that says "throw it up for grabs and pray." The play was designed for the WRs to create a pick by the DBs. Usually that would lead to Graham coming open in this situation, but the DB did the unexpected and instead it was Stevie.

In what universe is a QB throwing a ball directly to a defensive back NOT THE QB's FAULT? In any situation, on any yard line, on any down, and whatever the score? I can understand the QB having 1 read to minimize risks. But this was the first read. And he didn't make it. The guy was covered and he threw it anyway. If he is not competent enough to move on to the 2nd read then it is his responsibility to throw it away. He had 2 better choices there: one results in 7 points and one likely results in 3. He chose -7.

Passing always entails some risk, but I don't see this as a particularly high risk play. Maybe there are other pass plays that they could have run, but then Tuel could have made the same mistake and failed to execute the read, failed to not do what no QB ever should do and throw the ball directly to the other team.

So yeah, the fault is Tuel's.

kj

Clearly people on TBD don't watch NFLN or listen to Sirius, if they did they would hear the national praise from people that know the game (you know ex-players, coaches and front end types), I constantly hear talk about the VAST culture change in Buffalo and the obvious improvement in effort of this year's Bills teams vs the past several years.

Everyone knows we're close, but the vocal minority of Bills fans.

If you don't want to believe it, thats fine - I know we live in a culture that wants instant gratification and loves to whine about things they can't control - but this Bills team is a different beast than past years.

Plus throw in this little fact (posted in another thread last night) and I like our chances to see a little magic down the stretch:

"The teams with the five hardest schedules? They're a combined 11-30. Bummer. Last night's hard-luck losers have faced the toughest schedule in football; the 2-6 Texans have faced teams playing .598 football, roughly the equivalent of a 9.6-win team every week. Behind them are the Bills (.592), Giants (.588), Cardinals (.577), and Jaguars (.570).

The good news is that Buffalo faces the league's easiest schedule the rest of the way after facing the second-toughest slate in the NFL during the first half; they get the Steelers, Falcons, Buccaneers, Jaguars, and might even have their toughest opponent — the Patriots — resting guys in a meaningless Week 17 game."

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9924624/bill-barnwell-week-9

Honestly, this complaint makes no sense to me. I am pretty sure there is no play in Hackett's playbook that says "throw it up for grabs and pray." The play was designed for the WRs to create a pick by the DBs. Usually that would lead to Graham coming open in this situation, but the DB did the unexpected and instead it was Stevie.

In what universe is a QB throwing a ball directly to a defensive back NOT THE QB's FAULT? In any situation, on any yard line, on any down, and whatever the score? I can understand the QB having 1 read to minimize risks. But this was the first read. And he didn't make it. The guy was covered and he threw it anyway. If he is not competent enough to move on to the 2nd read then it is his responsibility to throw it away. He had 2 better choices there: one results in 7 points and one likely results in 3. He chose -7.

Passing always entails some risk, but I don't see this as a particularly high risk play. Maybe there are other pass plays that they could have run, but then Tuel could have made the same mistake and failed to execute the read, failed to not do what no QB ever should do and throw the ball directly to the other team.

So yeah, the fault is Tuel's.

kj

I disagree. In fact, I don't recall the coaches ever having EJ make a play like that one. They call simple boots, fades, and iso type plays for EJ near the goal line. But then they ask Tuel, on an all-out blitz, to throw in traffic on a pick play. The playcall showed unrealistic faith in a rookie QB making his furst start.

Right...someone has to either be a "Kool-Aid Drinker" (which I find to be a mind-numbingly silly term by the way--not that anyone cares) or a "Realist". No possibility exists that there's a middle ground between the unrealistic "We're going to win the Superbowl" fans and the "We Suck" fans?

I'd like to think I'm quite the middle-ground fan this year: we're a more talented team than in previous years, and we have a player in the fold right now that at least has the potential to be a franchise QB. We are also a team that looks prepared to play every opponent on a weekly basis, despite the injury-necessitated revolving door at QB, which to me says that it's a well-coached team.

But that take doesn't fly with you, for some reason that I cannot understand.

Excellent post.

The Bills can prove they are a good team by beating the Steelers. The Steelers are a team by all accounts should be beatable, right?

I agree with this. It would be a great statement game. We had the Chiefs on their heels ... with Jeff !@#$ing Tuel. If our D can play the game they played against KC, the Bills can win this game. Being on the road, however, is a pretty significant consideration.

The Bills can prove they are a good team by beating the Steelers. The Steelers are a team by all accounts should be beatable, right?

The Stillers are very VERY beatable this year. In my opinion any healthy Bills QB is good enough to win this game.

But beating a very bad Stillers team does not prove the Bills are a good team.

The Stillers are very VERY beatable this year. In my opinion any healthy Bills QB is good enough to win this game.

But beating a very bad Stillers team does not prove the Bills are a good team.

A 2 game winning streak (something that Marrone doesn't have), would be a good start.

It was entertaining...if you enjoy pulling your hair out over the stupidity of some of the plays.

Tuel went won only 4 of 22 starts while in college. Only two ways I put that game in that kids hands, no way & no how.

Faulting the play call is too easy. The reality is he missed a wide open WR in the end zone. I'd rather have coaches who expect his player, however green, to make the read and execute the play. I'm in no way saying it was an easy play, but Tuel screwed up royally there. Sean Smith interviews after the game said as much.

Also, this wasn't the coaches throwing a kid under the bus, is was another example of this regime implementing a culture of accountability for all players--100mil man or UDFA. I like Marrone and Hackett saying what all of us were thinking.

Edited by stony

Faulting the play call is too easy. The reality is he missed a wide open WR in the end zone. I'd rather have coaches who expect his player, however green, to make the read and execute the play. I'm in no way saying it was an easy play, but Tuel screwed up royally there. Sean Smith interviews after the game said as much.

Also, this wasn't the coaches throwing a kid under the bus, is was another example of this regime implementing a culture of accountability for all players--100mil man or UDFA. I like Marrone and Hackett saying what all of us were thinking.

^ this