McKelvin held his own

Pete

Hold his own? I agree somewhat. He did have great coverage I'll give you that, but I still have a problem with him playing too far off the receiver at times.

I'm not sure if the coach tells players to play receivers with distance so I don't know if McKelvin is to be given any blame honestly.

I thought when we blitzed, we were effective at times. When Cincy blitzed, we burned them for two TDs.

I'm just upset at the run defense. I thought we did awesome in run D leading up to this game. Funny how when Byrd comes back, the run D problems of last year come back to haunt us.

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

I expected this to be someone bashing him for not breaking up that incredible TD catch, despite him playing extremely well otherwise.

Before someone says, "If he would've just turned his head around..." please realize that Green is a beast and was going to high point that ball anyway. McKelvin's best bet there anyway was to try to dislodge the ball, and while he didn't do a good job at that either, I'm not going to fault him for losing a one on one battle against one of the best WRs in the league.

I'm looking forward to seeing how McKelvin does the rest of the year. Presumably Gilmore will be shutting down his side, and with Brooks coming back, the middle will be better covered. That will lead to QBs throwing McKelvin's way more often. Hopefully, he can keep up the good work.

Leodis will never live up to his draft position, but I'm still glad he's on the team. That said, I'd still take a CB in one of the first three rounds next year.

Edited by uncle flap

I agree he as been much better under pettine. He is fine for this year, but again want our first pick if EJ proves he's our guy to be the 1st round pick so we have two cover corners, and can focus on TE, and G in the next two rounds.

We're getting closer is what I see for a team. The offense is painful right now, but will improve.

Funny how when Byrd comes back, the run D problems of last year come back to haunt us.

Cinci has a pretty good o line, but it did seem Byrd was a little tentative taking on blockers and attacking the ball. Perhaps he was just adjusting to the live bullets flying (physically and mentally) - I don't think he was on the field much in the second half IIRC.

Hold his own? I agree somewhat. He did have great coverage I'll give you that, but I saw him having a problem locating the ball and playing too far off the receiver at times.

I'm not sure if the coach tells players to play receivers with distance so I don't know if McKelvin is to be given any blame honestly.

I thought when we blitzed, we were effective at times. When Cincy blitzed, we burned them for two TDs.

I'm just upset at the run defense. I thought we did awesome in run D leading up to this game. Funny how when Byrd comes back, the run D problems of last year come back to haunt us.

http://www.nationalf...-the-Bills.html

I found this article pretty telling last year. Remember the game against the Titans where we got torched on the ground? This article by former safety Matt Bowen only dissects one play, an 83 yard TD run, but it definitely calls out Byrd's positioning on the play. I have nothing against the guy and would love to keep him in a Bills uniform, but if he's deficient in the run game, maybe he's not worth top safety money.

Just some food for thought.

Edited by Thisistheyear

He was 1 on 1 with AJ Green most of the game, and held his own. Impressive

Agree. I think most of green's yards came when he was on other guys too. Mckelvin continues to be a totally different player. Both he and Williams are really redeeming themselves.

By the way re run defense, the bengals manhandled our dline and then ate up our LBs. can't blame the secondary for that.

I expected this to be someone bashing him for not breaking up that incredible TD catch, despite him playing extremely well otherwise.

Before someone says, "If he would've just turned his head around..." please realize that Green is a beast and was going to high point that ball anyway. McKelvin's best bet there anyway was to try to dislodge the ball, and while he didn't do a good job at that either, I'm not going to fault him for losing a one on one battle against one of the best WRs in the league.

I'm looking forward to seeing how McKelvin does the rest of the year. Presumably Gilmore will be shutting down his side, and with Brooks coming back, the middle will be better covered. That will lead to QBs throwing McKelvin's way more often. Hopefully, he can keep up the good work.

Leodis will never live up to his draft position, but I'm still glad he's on the team. That said, I'd still take a CB in one of the first three rounds next year.

leodis is actually following the ball and not the receiver as ,much this yr--huge improvement....im impressed--i thought he was too old to change.

I agree he as been much better under pettine. He is fine for this year, but again want our first pick if EJ proves he's our guy to be the 1st round pick so we have two cover corners, and can focus on TE, and G in the next two rounds.

We're getting closer is what I see for a team. The offense is painful right now, but will improve.

not to worry, usually the first pick of a team will be from the first round. but really, we have two first round corners right now, if mckelvins good why do we need a third first round CB? that's been a running joke for years with this team.

leodis is actually following the ball and not the receiver as ,much this yr--huge improvement....im impressed--i thought he was too old to change.

Leodis is much improved for sure for anyone who watches him play. Gotta give it to the coaches , maybe Donnie H. But Leodis and at the safety postion A Williams have been salvaged and more.

I'm to old to change , not little Mc Kelvinator.

My concern as mentioned is ...when Gilmore is happy and healthy the wealth of football passes will test ( Leodis , my man ).

I think he IS up for it though.

Go McKelvinator !

PS this defense will only get better as the season rolls , as i see it

Agree. I think most of green's yards came when he was on other guys too. Mckelvin continues to be a totally different player. Both he and Williams are really redeeming themselves.

By the way re run defense, the bengals manhandled our dline and then ate up our LBs. can't blame the secondary for that.

screens to AJ when Gilmore was lined up across from him was where Green got most of his yards. They turns him into a liability. Leo did admirably. Gilmore should have to earn that spot back. I don't think Leo should automatically give it up.

His play is most defintly improved. I would put some of that on the overall aggressiveness of the defense this year as apossed to only rushing the lineman and the QB has all day, our corners aren't having to hold their coverage near as long as years past. But yes I am most happy with his play!

His play is most defintly improved. I would put some of that on the overall aggressiveness of the defense this year as apossed to only rushing the lineman and the QB has all day, our corners aren't having to hold their coverage near as long as years past. But yes I am most happy with his play!

He also has learned to turn when the ball is near. Its a christmas miracle really.

You are correct, the defensive backs will continue to look better if the pressure continues. something we have been missing for sure

http://www.nationalf...-the-Bills.html

I found this article pretty telling last year. Remember the game against the Titans where we got torched on the ground? This article by former safety Matt Bowen only dissects one play, an 83 yard TD run, but it definitely calls out Byrd's positioning on the play. I have nothing against the guy and would love to keep him in a Bills uniform, but if he's deficient in the run game, maybe he's not worth top safety money.

Just some food for thought.

Good find. I definitely DO remember that game and many others where Byrd (Mr. Ballhawk) just doesn't play well against the run.

Cinci has a pretty good o line, but it did seem Byrd was a little tentative taking on blockers and attacking the ball. Perhaps he was just adjusting to the live bullets flying (physically and mentally) - I don't think he was on the field much in the second half IIRC.

Maybe it was the fact that it was his first game back. Who knows? Oh and don't get me wrong. When I saw him raise his hands up to try to get the crowd to scream louder on defense, I absolutely felt nothing but love for the guy. I'm definitely not a "trade Byrd now" poster. I want him to stay a Bill. But I also want him to play better against the run.

I think the credit should go to his position coach Donnie Henderson!!