Coudl Gregg Williams Be the Next Belichick?

JDG

Well now that everyone is convinced that Bill Belichick is now the second coming of Vince Lombardi (or is it that Vince Lombardi was the first coming of Bill Belichick, I forget), I thought that I would bring up two reminders:

1) 36 - 44 with one wildcard berth (1-1).

That is Bill Belichick's record in five seasons with the Cleveland Browns.

2) 24 - 24, no playoff berths.   

That is Bill Belichick's record in his first three seasons in New England, if David Patten's unconscious head doesn't roll out of bounds in a road game at the 3-13 Buffalo Bills.

So, after eight seasons, this guy with a career coaching record below .500 is suddenly the greatest Coach in NFL history, eh?  Raise a hand those of you would be saying that if David Patten's unconscious head doesn't roll out of bounds - presuming of course that Belichick still had his job last season....  That's what I thought.

So, one has to wonder, now that Gregg Williams has gone on to Washington and made silk purses out of sows ears.... could Gregg Williams be the third coming of Bill Belichick - and we (and Donahoe for that matter) just not give him enough of a chance? 

JDG

208169[/snapback]

Well...Belichick is a great Coach, there should be little doubt about that...But just like some on this Board feel Brady would be less without the Pats Offensive system, I certainly believe Belichick would be less without Scott Pioli and that NE Personnel and Scouting Department...

With ALL those Picks over these years, it's allowed NE not only to fill Needs, but to get a little greedy too...Just look at what they Drafted at DT alone in the past 2 years...it's sick!

That being said, I doubt very much GW will ever reach Belichick status, regardless of talent...I just don't think he has BB's ability to Game Plan as a HC...But if he were given the talent BB has been given, GW would have a decent shot, that's for sure...

I have a theory Bill Bellichick sold his soul to the devil.  For that matter so did Tom Brady.  It's the only way I see how a mediocre QB and coach could become unbeatable combination.

PTR

208517[/snapback]

thank you, i have been saying this for well over a year...a mediocre team with mediocre becomes what people are calling a dynasty...definitely a deal with satan...

BB has always been a pretty weirdbird and many geniuses are as they march to a different drummer than the rest of the world.  Many problems with the Browns he seemed to be a victim of things not his doing, but also he deserves his fair share of the blame as well as many of the players gave up on him because he didn't earn their respect and loyalty as their leader.

In addition to that he made a deal to go to the Jets and suddenly turned tale and opted out of it (probably they deserved it but this was no profile in good judgment initially on his part when he chose to do it).

Even yb this NE gig where he has nade a number of genius moves, he built player to player cohesion among the NE team by turning everyone against him as a unit because of the way he misread and bollized negotiations with Lawyer Milloy.

This led to a letdown where the lost to the Bills 31-0 but he managed them responding to a plethora of injuries by stepping up and becing a TEAM

A pivotal point in his first star turn season when the Pats won the SB was actually courtesy of a Jets LB who by collapsing Bledsoe's lung forced BB to do something he was probably going to eventually have to do but the season would have been done of switching to 6th round pick and near rookie Brady.

The simplification of the offense which he and Weis did because they had too proved to be a boon for their production.

Quality folks take advantage of good luck when it comes their way, but no question a key to BB is not simply his genius but good old dumb luck.

208327[/snapback]

This has to be one of the most difficult-to-follow posts I've ever read from FFS. And that is saying a lot. Talk about a wierd bird.

Ok, but remember you asked...........Ronnie Jones, the headset, Joe Pendry, DF/RJ, the comment [no playoff chance yet we did], Mike Shephard, Carl Mauck.....thanks for the prompting.

208411[/snapback]

Sheppard was Greggo's OC, not Wade's. Other than that, I agree completely. There was more talent on the field with that team than there was on the sideline.

Williams probably learned a lot in Buffalo.  By the end he was on a short leash and pretty much hung himself.  I believe he will be a good headcoach when given the chance again. 

We may find out as early as next year as there are rumbling of two things.  1) minor rumor that Gibbs wasn't feeling well by the end of the year and may step down already.  2) Oakland seems to have him number 1 on their list if they cut ties with Turner, which is rumored.

208183[/snapback]

I think it all depends on the situation you get into. Look at the Falcons head coach. The guy did not have to rebuild. He had all the players and with a good

defense he is able to sniff the air at AllTell stadium.

If GW gets a team like that, and he learns from his prior mistake and choses

a experienced coaching staff, I can see him making the playoffs...

Even Mularkey was handed a somewhat similar team, except for a weak

QB and it took him 4 games ot figure the nuances of coaching at the highest

level and got his team to play at a high level.

WHoever is going to take the 49ers job or browns job are going to suffer

the same fate as GW did with buffalo. Whereas, Miami is not that far

away from being a contender again and I see Saban having some good success

next year.

Ok, but remember you asked...........Ronnie Jones, the headset, Joe Pendry, DF/RJ, the comment [no playoff chance yet we did], Mike Shephard, Carl Mauck.....thanks for the prompting.

208411[/snapback]

Wasn't Mike Shephard the OC in the first year of the Williams era? Am I thinking of someone else?

What a sophomoric post.

It's a silly argument that comes off as an unwillingness to admit to a cold, hard reality.

First of all, your premise assumes that to be truly great, you must have started in greatness and continued onward. It assumes that humble beginnings are not possible. It assumes that progress and learning is not how achievement is ultimately made.

The opposite is true.

In a nutshell, yours is a poorly thought-out concept that if applied to other avenues of achievement, would negate all our heroes in the arts, literature, film, wartime, and technology.

Belichick started out breaking down film with his dad at the age of 10. He was an assistant coach in many places before settling in as parcells' defensive coordinator, where he ALWAYS excelled. ALWAYS had a top not D. Schooled Marv Levy and the Bills in 1991 using the same principles that he beat Manning and the Colts Sunday. Over time, he has BECOME the best football mind in all of football. Great people BECOME great through learning and experience.

Belichick is going to win another superbowl this year. Yet people like you will still deny that he's the greatest football mind of our time. He has overcome more *while achieving more* than a coach than ANY coach has in our time. It sucks to be a non-patriot in AFC East land, because he's not going anywhere and the AFC East will always going to be the hardest road to the playoffs as long as he's there.

Get used to it.

Gregg Williams? Please...don't debase your own intelligence with such dreck.

208357[/snapback]

Well brandon, amidst all your superfluous sneezing and whatnot in the above, the entire point of my post managed to whiz right past your head. My point is that, were it not for a lucky roll of David Patten's unconscious head, Belichick would have gone his first EIGHT seasons as an NFL Head Coach without so much as a division title, and only one wildcard berth to even show for in the playoffs. And honestly, who would have been bold enough to recognize Bill Belichick's "genius" *then*? Heck, after three years without a playoff berth, he might have been fired outright by New England! And just imagine the reaction when he open season #4 by cutting Milloy, and dropping a 31-0 stinker at Buffalo!

The point of my post was to establish just how hard it is to recognize "genius" in the NFL.... sure its easy to do after a guy wins two Super Bowl titles, and maybe a third.... but could you do it *before* the titles?

JDG