"Hackettball"

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight's more evidence of this quote

"He’s taken his lumps and has certainly been outmatched by opposing coaches at times. Rex Ryan in particular seemed to have his number with his cloak and dagger defense."

Read more at http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/10/01/nathaniel-hackett-settling-in-at-offensive-coordinator-for-buffalo-bills/?SLZE5o6SHulzbVwI.99

This OC is part of a two year plan as well....

I'm no fan of daddy's boys coaches and Hackett's offense is ceratinly predictable. But here's the bottomline. With a rookie QB, without your top wr, both of your rbs hurting badly, the Bills were driving late in the 3rd quarter to take a lead in a primetime road game. Then EJ gets hurt and it all falls apart.

If this is next year and it's the same gameplan, then we should worry. But the Bills have had a shot to win or tie every game this year. That being said, Hackett needs to watch tape on Gailey's screen plays and get Spiller in space more.

The play calling was better tonight, but still not there. We did see a screen, which was amazing, but I really was hoping to see more short and quick routes. Give the receivers a chance to make some plays.

give the RUNNING BACKS chances to makes plays. the biggest problem i have with Hackett so far is the lack of getting them involved in the passing game. that is the strength of Jackson and Spiller both, and all they do is run up the middle. taking short passes, whether screens, short to sidelines, short over the middle (dumpoffs), or having CJ line up wide... their versatility is what makes them great running backs. And we don't utilize it! that's what frustrates me, cuz we know it works, and it has nothing to do with the QB's inexperience either, since they are easy throws. No excuse. RB is a strength of this team and Hackett is throwing it away by not capitalizing on the abilities that make them special.

Edited by Brainiac21

Hackettball is an up-tempo, hurry-up, 3 and out variant of the Marty Schottenheimer run, run , pass offensive scheme derived by Nathaniel Hackett.

Hackettball consits of executing a predictable running play inside the tackles on 1st and 2nd down (sometimes the exact same play) to setup a passing play on 3rd down. Punting on 4th down, gassing the defense as quickly as possible.

Can we bring our old HC back as a consultant? Gailey has a great Offensive mind, but didn't have the QB to execute his vision. He left on good terms for the most part.

Yeah I know I'm Dreaming... :D

That's one way to look at it.

Another way is to state the obvious. Hackett is terrible at play calling. People on message boards are calling out plays like crazy.

How many times have we run the ball on first down this season? It's got to be at least 85% of the time.

I was at the game with my wife and brother-in-law (who's a Browns fan)... I mentioned how predictable the offensive play calling is... He tested me, needless to say I correctly called an entire series of plays... If I could do that from section 539, I'm sure the Browns knew what was coming 2 weeks ago

I'm no fan of daddy's boys coaches and Hackett's offense is ceratinly predictable. But here's the bottomline. With a rookie QB, without your top wr, both of your rbs hurting badly, the Bills were driving late in the 3rd quarter to take a lead in a primetime road game. Then EJ gets hurt and it all falls apart.

If this is next year and it's the same gameplan, then we should worry. But the Bills have had a shot to win or tie every game this year. That being said, Hackett needs to watch tape on Gailey's screen plays and get Spiller in space more.

It's the NFL. A lot of games are going to be close. Having a chance to win isn't good enough anymore.

Hackett's play calling, especially on 3rd down and in the red zone is going to kill this offense and any hopes of this team winning. It's a big problem.

Edited by Bangarang

Can we bring our old HC back as a consultant? Gailey has a great Offensive mind, but didn't have the QB to execute his vision. He left on good terms for the most part.

Yeah I know I'm Dreaming... :D

I know...I was thinkning that last year if we could keep him as a OC. Of course all dreaming, but can u imagine what he would do with EJ and the speedy playmakers we have now?!? I had more confidence last year with the offense than this year. Hackett needs to run the 1st qtr offense all game! Plus use the screeen more, Fitz screened his way 200yards every game!

give the RUNNING BACKS chances to makes plays. the biggest problem i have with Hackett so far is the lack of getting them involved in the passing game. that is the strength of Jackson and Spiller both, and all they do is run up the middle. taking short passes, whether screens, short to sidelines, short over the middle (dumpoffs), or having CJ line up wide... their versatility is what makes them great running backs. And we don't utilize it! that's what frustrates me, cuz we know it works, and it has nothing to do with the QB's inexperience either, since they are easy throws. No excuse. RB is a strength of this team and Hackett is throwing it away by not capitalizing on the abilities that make them special.

That too. I was surprised at the end of the game when they were short on WRs that they chose to go two TE instead of just lining CJ up at WR.

If a competent OC was running this offense we may be 4-1 at this point. This defense is keeping this team in games. Look at the play calls when they matter most . Can't Hackett is way in over his head. You can't have a defense playing great only to be rewarded by inept 3 and outs every offensive series. Hopefully Marrone chews little Natey big a new rectum this long week.

LV

I have issues with some play calling but fans in general are ridiculous in their criticisms often. One, we just assume that when a QB throws a short pass that was a conservative call when about half the time that is not really true. Two, we just ignore the calls that work that don't fit our scenarios, like the way the TJ reverse pass was directly responsible for the first TD. Or running into the middle on first down was the call CJ broke for the long score. Three, we act like trick or unconventional plays or throws downfield can be done every other play and still trick defenses.

Well, I did see a screen pass last night (and it worked for a good gain), that is progress, right?

I like the idea of bringing Gailey back, he was a mastermind with the offense. .... but not good at building a staff.

Well, I did see a screen pass last night (and it worked for a good gain), that is progress, right?

I like the idea of bringing Gailey back, he was a mastermind with the offense. .... but not good at building a staff.

Chan's play calling was also very suspect.

We saw several times when e coached, this team would line up in spread formation, 5 wide, empty backfield on 3rd and short.

Ran the screen, yes. It worked, yes. But it didn't look pretty.

Just saying.

I'm glad the ran it, but it confirmed my suspicion: the line and EJ don't have the timing yet to run it effectively.

Also: the pendulum has swung back. Last year folks were SCREAMING for Chan to run the ball.

We've run it 86 times in the last two games.

May be we don't need to go that far, but we have a rookie QB who may--or may not--be ready and able to run a scheme like what Chan would put him through.