We find out tonight if this really ISN'T "The Same Old Bills&#

I know, a bizarre statement considering that its a game with the equally mediocre Cleveland Browns. But consider this: In 2011, the "old Bills" finally defeated the hated (and superior) New England Patriots for the first time since opening day 2003. Things seemingly were on the up-and-up, it was supposed to be different. The next week, Buffalo went to Cincinnati, looked flat, not just in the contest, but for the remainder of the 2011 campaign.

In 2008, the Trent Edwards-led Bills began 5-1 after beating a then-SuperBowl contender in the San Diego Chargers at home in the "Lights Out" game. Again, it seemed as though times had changed. The next week, the Bills, and their QB who only a week before looked like he was the franchise guy, were knocked out by the eventual NFC champion Arizona Cardinals in Glendale. The Bills never recovered, and it was, in fact, "Same old Bills".

That brings us to tonight! We've heard it before from a few players who played on those teams (i.e.: Fred Jackson). "Were not the same old Bills!"l The Bills come off of a big game win, this year against the defending SuperBowl champion Ravens, to play a team that they SHOULD beat. Facing a lifelong backup QB in Bryan Hoyer, a team that just traded, clearly, its best player. Yet have dug deep to win back-to-back games. Buffalos past of having their season deflated after emotional, big time games has been duely noted. If this really isn't the same old Bills, in a weird way, tonights underwhelmingly looked at game...might be the biggest game this team has had since, well, their last playoff game in Tennessee, 14 years ago...

Trent Edwards was not very good against 4 really bad teams when we started 4-0. I was flamed for saying we would not win many more games if Trent kept playing like he was...and I was right...and that was PRE injury. That concussion changed NOTHING...he was the SAME QB before and after that game.

This is NOT like that team. We have a young QB who will have his ups and downs, but this kid can play and this offense has a lot more weapons on it than that one did. The defense is night and day too. That team benefited from playing BAD teams to start 4-0 and got destroyed by good teams. We have a team this year thats been in every game, beat a playoff contender in Car, the defending SB champs (who had not given a TD up since week 1), and narrowly losing a game we should have one against the undefeated Pats.

This team may or may not make the playoffs this year, but they are on track to be turning the corner finally in the very near future.

PS: You people who think the Browns are some kind of joke team that we should beat need to think again. They have the #3 D in the league, and Hoyer is slinging the ball around like crazy now that he is the starter and they have 2 very very talented receiving weapons for him to throw to in Gordon and Cameron. This will be a tough test for this team, and the toughest D we have faced all year.

A win or loss against Cleveland isn't really going to tell us anything. A win would sure be nice though.

I agree though I will be pissed if they lose obviously. But remember: average age 25.3 (3rd youngest), rookie QB, coach, GM, top 4 dbs might be out, both rbs hurting. Keep things in perspective.

I agree though I will be pissed if they lose obviously. But remember: average age 25.3 (3rd youngest), rookie QB, coach, GM, top 4 dbs might be out, both rbs hurting. Keep things in perspective.

Yes...people also need to keep the Browns in perspective...they are no easy out at this point. 3rd ranked D, 2 talented offensive weapons difficult to cover in Cameron and Gordon, and a QB finally getting his show and making the most of it. This team will be a quality win for us if we beat them ESPECIALLY if the offense can have success against this very good defense.

Edited by Alphadawg7

I know, a bizarre statement considering that its a game with the equally mediocre Cleveland Browns. But consider this: In 2011, the "old Bills" finally defeated the hated (and superior) New England Patriots for the first time since opening day 2003. Things seemingly were on the up-and-up, it was supposed to be different. The next week, Buffalo went to Cincinnati, looked flat, not just in the contest, but for the remainder of the 2011 campaign.

In 2008, the Trent Edwards-led Bills began 5-1 after beating a then-SuperBowl contender in the San Diego Chargers at home in the "Lights Out" game. Again, it seemed as though times had changed. The next week, the Bills, and their QB who only a week before looked like he was the franchise guy, were knocked out by the eventual NFC champion Arizona Cardinals in Glendale. The Bills never recovered, and it was, in fact, "Same old Bills".

That brings us to tonight! We've heard it before from a few players who played on those teams (i.e.: Fred Jackson). "Were not the same old Bills!"l The Bills come off of a big game win, this year against the defending SuperBowl champion Ravens, to play a team that they SHOULD beat. Facing a lifelong backup QB in Bryan Hoyer, a team that just traded, clearly, its best player. Yet have dug deep to win back-to-back games. Buffalos past of having their season deflated after emotional, big time games has been duely noted. If this really isn't the same old Bills, in a weird way, tonights underwhelmingly looked at game...might be the biggest game this team has had since, well, their last playoff game in Tennessee, 14 years ago...

Well put. I could not have said it better. GO Bills!!!!!

We won't know if this is the same old Bills team until the regular season ends. Over the past 13 years this team has won plenty of games early in the season and looked like they've turned things around only to tank the second half of the season.

I pretty much know it is the same old bills. You can see it by watching them. However, I hope I am wrong. Also, even if it is the same old bills...it is still good enough to luck into 9 win season one of these years and possibly get a wild card. But until we actually win division games...same old bills.

Edited by SameOldBills