We find out tonight if this really ISN'T "The Same Old Bills&#

I know, a bizarre statement considering that its a game with the equally mediocre Cleveland Browns. But consider this: In 2011, the "old Bills" finally defeated the hated (and superior) New England Patriots for the first time since opening day 2003. Things seemingly were on the up-and-up, it was supposed to be different. The next week, Buffalo went to Cincinnati, looked flat, not just in the contest, but for the remainder of the 2011 campaign.

In 2008, the Trent Edwards-led Bills began 5-1 after beating a then-SuperBowl contender in the San Diego Chargers at home in the "Lights Out" game. Again, it seemed as though times had changed. The next week, the Bills, and their QB who only a week before looked like he was the franchise guy, were knocked out by the eventual NFC champion Arizona Cardinals in Glendale. The Bills never recovered, and it was, in fact, "Same old Bills".

That brings us to tonight! We've heard it before from a few players who played on those teams (i.e.: Fred Jackson). "Were not the same old Bills!"l The Bills come off of a big game win, this year against the defending SuperBowl champion Ravens, to play a team that they SHOULD beat. Facing a lifelong backup QB in Bryan Hoyer, a team that just traded, clearly, its best player. Yet have dug deep to win back-to-back games. Buffalos past of having their season deflated after emotional, big time games has been duely noted. If this really isn't the same old Bills, in a weird way, tonights underwhelmingly looked at game...might be the biggest game this team has had since, well, their last playoff game in Tennessee, 14 years ago...

I know, a bizarre statement considering that its a game with the equally mediocre Cleveland Browns. But consider this: In 2011, the "old Bills" finally defeated the hated (and superior) New England Patriots for the first time since opening day 2003. Things seemingly were on the up-and-up, it was supposed to be different. The next week, Buffalo went to Cincinnati, looked flat, not just in the contest, but for the remainder of the 2011 campaign.

In 2008, the Trent Edwards-led Bills began 5-1 after beating a then-SuperBowl contender in the San Diego Chargers at home in the "Lights Out" game. Again, it seemed as though times had changed. The next week, the Bills, and their QB who only a week before looked like he was the franchise guy, were knocked out by the eventual NFC champion Arizona Cardinals in Glendale. The Bills never recovered, and it was, in fact, "Same old Bills".

That brings us to tonight! We've heard it before from a few players who played on those teams (i.e.: Fred Jackson). "Were not the same old Bills!"l The Bills come off of a big game win, this year against the defending SuperBowl champion Ravens, to play a team that they SHOULD beat. Facing a lifelong backup QB in Bryan Hoyer, a team that just traded, clearly, its best player. Yet have dug deep to win back-to-back games. Buffalos past of having their season deflated after emotional, big time games has been duely noted. If this really isn't the same old Bills, in a weird way, tonights underwhelmingly looked at game...might be the biggest game this team has had since, well, their last playoff game in Tennessee, 14 years ago...

Sorry to nitpick you but they played San Diego after that Arizona game. They were 4-0 going to the Cards when Trent got his bell rung and he did come back the next week to play well against San Diego at home but after that just never seemed the same.

Sorry to nitpick you but they played San Diego after that Arizona game. They were 4-0 going to the Cards when Trent got his bell rung and he did come back the next week to play well against San Diego at home but after that just never seemed the same.

thank you. Gotta get your facts straight.

thank you. Gotta get your facts straight.

Did we quit after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?!? :lol:

Looked like the same old Bills against the Jets.

That game was way to close to the old Bills for me. In fact, when the game unfolded the way it did, it felt like a comfortable old shoe. Wouldn't have thought there was any changes during the off season.

I think the test that a team may have turned the corner is if they can win a games like this on the road. They kind of crumbled vs the Jets lets see what happens tonight. If they look good I'll be encouraged.

I'm not sure this is the same old browns. Their run d is the best it's been in ages and they are IMO the best group of WRs/TE the bills have faced yet this season. This is not a great match up on paper for our Bills particularly while/if still missing the entire starting secondary.

Cameron and Gorden have been uncoverable so far. Hoyer just lobs it to a spot and these guys just go get the ball.

This is going to be a tough game for buf. EJ will need his best game of the season to pull off a win. I don't expect to see a lot of success running the ball.

Edited by over 20 years of fanhood

That game was way to close to the old Bills for me. In fact, when the game unfolded the way it did, it felt like a comfortable old shoe. Wouldn't have thought there was any changes during the off season.

I think the test that a team may have turned the corner is if they can win a games like this on the road. They kind of crumbled vs the Jets lets see what happens tonight. If they look good I'll be encouraged.

Exactly. If they look good, meaning they are competitive, are in it to the end fighting hard despite the usual turnover/big play/mistakes trading with the other team, we should be happy. They won against the Ravens because they dominated the turnover trade with the other team, plain and simply. Running the ball at a 2 to 1 ratio doesn't beat the Ravens unless you get 5 or 6 turnovers (the "act of G_D" I forecast was needed to win). Kiko doesn't make that pick we probably having a very different discussing this week. This is not, repeat, not the year we expect playoffs from this team. If it happens, great, they progressed a lot faster than should be the case, and we take it to the bank. But we should not be expecting it. This team could cart 4 or 5 guys off tonight with season ending injuries who shouldn't , but will, play. What if Fred's knee injury expands and his season ends tonight? McKelvin comes back too early and completely blows the hamstring out? Just take it one game at a time. No expectations. This game is a hold your breath game.

Edited by 8and8Forever

I agree, both teams are pretty evenly matched up with a slight edge to the Bills for what should be the much better offense if they play up to their potential. The Browns are trying to make it work with a 3rd string QB and a RB that hasn't been good in years. We should definitely be able to hold them to under 20 points for sure. The question is what can the Bills offense do vs a very tough Cleveland defense? If we can get things rolling early on offense then I think we wil be in good shape. If we get behind and make EJ try and do too much then we will be in trouble. Establish the run early and it will open up things in the secondary for Stevie and Woods

One game should not be the basis of determining whether or not these are "the same old Bills." You have to look over a body of work which in this teams' case will be at least 8 games if not the entire season.

Edited by DDD

Completely agree with the spirit of this thread... however tonight is another important data-point that, when combined with several others, will be enable us to judge if this is the same 'ol Bills.

If they plan hard/smart/more physical than the Browns, with energy, and leave it on the field; I consider it a positive data point. EJ showing progress is also necessary.

I think a sustained string of positives is necessary for any of us to believe that this stinker of a franchise could be actually turning it around.

Completely agree with the spirit of this thread... however tonight is another important data-point that, when combined with several others, will be enable us to judge if this is the same 'ol Bills.

If they plan hard/smart/more physical than the Browns, with energy, and leave it on the field; I consider it a positive data point. EJ showing progress is also necessary.

I think a sustained string of positives is necessary for any of us to believe that this stinker of a franchise could be actually turning it around.

First poster ever to use the term data-point? I agree and hope we kick the Browns in their data-point! Welcome to the board...