Lettuce: What's the point?

/dev/null

I usually get oil & vineger on my subs, and the lettuce (shredded iceberg) acts as a nice "sponge" for the dressing so the bread doesn't get soggy. I just got a sub last week from a new place here in town, and they put whole leaves of romaine on it. Yuck. I took it off before I ate it. Strangely enough, the alternative to the romaine lettuce was shredded cabbage. Was intrigued but I passed. Seems like the taste would be to bitter. Anyone else been offered shredded cabbage as a sub topping? Might just be a regional thing, as I live in Vermont.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

that or hummus adds a nice alternative to mayo

As far as fat content, the hummus and/or the avocado are not much better (if any) than the mayo.

I've been getting mustard (fat free) on my subs lately.

But when I'm not being health-conscious, I do a little mayo and oil on a sub.

I will typically order my sandwiches without lettuce unless it is a green with some flavor, ie arugula, mustard or dandelion greens. Iceburg? Waste of space in the refrigerator, redleaf? Looks good and that's about it. If I want lettuce I order a salad. And if the menu description of the salad mentions iceburg I immediately pass over it.

What's being a chef have to do with preferring a bacon and tomato sandwich over a bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich?? And I usually order all my sandwiches sans lettuce.

Wifey hates lettuce on any warm sammich. She may tolerate it on a cold one, but never warm/hot.

I usually get oil & vineger on my subs, and the lettuce (shredded iceberg) acts as a nice "sponge" for the dressing so the bread doesn't get soggy. I just got a sub last week from a new place here in town, and they put whole leaves of romaine on it. Yuck. I took it off before I ate it. Strangely enough, the alternative to the romaine lettuce was shredded cabbage. Was intrigued but I passed. Seems like the taste would be to bitter. Anyone else been offered shredded cabbage as a sub topping? Might just be a regional thing, as I live in Vermont.

This may have changed, but not too long ago there were places where you couldn't get vinegar on a sandwich. My guess is that the health laws date back to the early last century when a butcher would use vinegar to 'clean up' a piece of rotten meat. (at least that's what I've been told, Chef might know the rest of the story.)

Wifey hates lettuce on any warm sammich. She may tolerate it on a cold one, but never warm/hot.

They put lettuce on the warm sandwiches at the cafe in my office building. And I'm thinking...are you serious?

Favorite sandwich: Sliced assorted Italian cured meats, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, roasted peppers, arugula on ciabata bread.

Edited by Chef Jim

They put lettuce on the warm sandwiches at the cafe in my office building. And I'm thinking...are you serious?

Favorite sandwich: Sliced assorted Italian cured meats, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, roasted peppers, arugula on chiabata bread.

What is assorted Italian cured meat? Is that the new term for prosciutto, salami, capocolla, mortadella (baloney)? Or is it something different? I used to work in a deli and we called it assorted cold cuts. LoL...

;-P ;-P

What is assorted Italian cured meat? Is that the new term for prosciutto, salami, capocolla, mortadella (baloney)? Or is it something different? I used to work in a deli and we called it assorted cold cuts. LoL...

;-P ;-P

New term? No, it's been used for a few hundred years. Cold cuts are something Ocar Mayer invented in the 60's