As I've said all along, Flacco is an average at best QB during the

Big Turk

He is not good enough to put a team on his shoulders ala Peyton Manning or Tom Brady without a good running game. He makes some nice throws, but plays poorly for long stretches of games, telegraphing throws and throwing INT's when under duress.

Yes, he might be one of the most clutch playoff performers ever. Yes, he won the super bowl and was super bowl MVP. In the playoffs, for whatever reason it seems like a switch flips for him, but during the regular season, the man just is not anywhere close to an elite QB, or even on the second level of QBs(Rivers, Romo, etc). He is an average to slightly below average QB during the regular season, much like we saw today.

Flacco got hot down the stretch last year and brought Baltimore a Lombardi trophy. They had no choice but to pay him at that point, even though it was clear he was not at the elite level. They just had no choice. That's what happens with QBs, they get streaky and you can't afford to let them go if you think there is a chance the streak might continue. As a result, you see a fair amount of inflated QB contracts around the league (see: Fitzpatrick, Ryan).

He is not good enough to put a team on his shoulders ala Peyton Manning or Tom Brady without a good running game. He makes some nice throws, but plays poorly for long stretches of games, telegraphing throws and throwing INT's when under duress.

Yes, he might be one of the most clutch playoff performers ever. Yes, he won the super bowl and was super bowl MVP. In the playoffs, for whatever reason it seems like a switch flips for him, but during the regular season, the man just is not anywhere close to an elite QB, or even on the second level of QBs(Rivers, Romo, etc). He is an average to slightly below average QB during the regular season, much like we saw today.

Isn't a clutch playoff ability huge for an elite QB?

Why are you saying this like it's controversial.

Because I got into a spirited debate with several posters here and on the shoutbox when Flacco signed his huge deal that he was not an elite QB except in the playoffs and he would need a lot of help to actually get to the playoffs, much more than other elite QBs do...

Right.... Behold the expert. Only chink in the argument is a string of perpetual playoff births and a Lombardi. Carry on.

No expert, I've just watched him play enough during the regular season to be completely unimpressed. His perpetual playoff berths are due in large part to a good running game and that D...they will have a tough time making the playoffs this year if they can't figure out how to get Ray Rice going because Flacco isn't going to be able to do it without him...

Because I got into a spirited debate with several posters here and on the shoutbox when Flacco signed his huge deal that he was not an elite QB except in the playoffs and he would need a lot of help to actually get to the playoffs, much more than other elite QBs do...

No expert, I've just watched him play enough during the regular season to be completely unimpressed. His perpetual playoff berths are due in large part to a good running game and that D...they will have a tough time making the playoffs this year if they can't figure out how to get Ray Rice going because Flacco isn't going to be able to do it without him...

Remember when Ravens fans wanted Flacco benched last year? And they got the OC fired? And then they won the Lombardi. Hmmm

Flacco got hot down the stretch last year and brought Baltimore a Lombardi trophy. They had no choice but to pay him at that point, even though it was clear he was not at the elite level. They just had no choice. That's what happens with QBs, they get streaky and you can't afford to let them go if you think there is a chance the streak might continue. As a result, you see a fair amount of inflated QB contracts around the league (see: Fitzpatrick, Ryan).

The worse ones are like Kevin Kolb, who I believe has made close to 50M, without even having a winning record....I don't have any problem with Flacco getting the big contract. Also, yesterday, Flacco's WRs let him down by popping the ball up for the Bills defenders to get to them and Aaron williams making an unbelievable shoe-string tackle that saved four points - the difference between a win and a loss.

He has got to be missing Boldin. Boldin was huge in the playoffs last year.

+1. And that defense was porous yesterday.

Edited by ganesh

He has won a super bowl, and by the way EJ looked today and the past few games, he cant carry a team anywhere.

I wouldn't want my team to have to pay Flacco like the best QB in the league when he needs an outstanding D just to get into the playoffs. If I'm hamstringing the rest of my team that QB better be able to put the team on his back and win games like a Manning, Brady or Rogers.

Flacco's a good QB but for that cash he has to be great and he's not.