Up Tempo Slows it Down ... Finally

DR109

It may not have been pretty but it worked. Even though they didn;t huddle they burned clock in between plays and committed to the run which further slowed it down. And of course executing those runs is what made it work. Hackett still not stellar but its a start. The run D was stout and considering all the injuries the secondary played big.

Penalties continue to kill but I firmly believe the time of possession flip this week is what kept the D fresh and earned a W. I still think we should be 3-1 and we better learn how to win in the division quickly.

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard the announcers say that slowing down the fast pace offense could hurt the rhythm of the offense

Me too!

Hacketts play calling was great TBH. 8 second half penalties that killed drives. We had first downs and penalties took those away. This needs to be fixed. Cannot blame Hacketts play calling when it's the execution of these plays and the penalties that take them away.

I guess I have to agree with you for the most part about Hackett today. There were a couple times I was scratching my head though. But the penalties need to be fixed pronto.

When have the Bills been in position to slow down in the second half this year?

Against the Pats...should have won that game

It may not have been pretty but it worked. Even though they didn;t huddle they burned clock in between plays and committed to the run which further slowed it down. And of course executing those runs is what made it work. Hackett still not stellar but its a start. The run D was stout and considering all the injuries the secondary played big.

Penalties continue to kill but I firmly believe the time of possession flip this week is what kept the D fresh and earned a W. I still think we should be 3-1 and we better learn how to win in the division quickly.

The biggest thing was third down conversions. I didn't see that many occasions they really bled the clock down to 0 before the kneel downs.

Hacketts play calling was great TBH. 8 second half penalties that killed drives. We had first downs and penalties took those away. This needs to be fixed. Cannot blame Hacketts play calling when it's the execution of these plays and the penalties that take them away.

Penalties are obviously a huge problem for this team. However, a good chunk of the penalties on plays where a first down is negated, were penalties that directly helped the positive yardage. Some of the big plays would not be had the foul not occurred. But I agree that this area of the game needs to be cleaned up.

Against the Pats...should have won that game

Agreed.....and I took a ton of heat for taking that stance after that game. But even Wood thinks they could have slowed things down and changed the outcome of the game.

“Different situations are going to present different tempos,” Bills center Eric Wood said. “In the past, we haven’t necessarily had those types of situations – I guess minus New England, when we felt like we wanted to get another score.

Edited by UncleMonkeyHead

Heck...We could be 4-0 or 0-4 the way these games have gone into the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter. The fact that the Young Bills are in the games in the final minutes of a game is a tribute to this staff. I couldn't imagine Wannested or Edwards being able to run this defense with the type of injuries we have had. Another great thing is that while Pettine brings pressure by blitzing, the majority of the sacks have come from the front seven and not by the defensive backs. I hope they know how to stop the run moving forward.

Hackett's playcalling was still atrocious (RUN RUN PASS) and way to conservative, however the fact that he ditched the "fast" offense gives me some hope that he is willing to adjust.

We got treated to a WR screen today (Stevie -1 yds), but hey, that's a start and I bet we see our first RB screen of the season next game. Oh, and a play-action pass that resulted in a beautiful TD. Play-action!

I was just happy to see some I formation and play action today

Second half was way too conservative though

Agree. The Ravens made better half-time adjustments than us. We were sloppy with penalties, poor 3rd down conversions (No creativity in this area) and inability to make the clutch plays on offense. The best thing to happen to this team today was their ability to shut the Raven's running game and running the ball ourselves successfully.

The playcalling was pretty brilliant in the first half. Penalties kind of neutered us offensively in the second half and EJ was also falling apart at the seams in the 4th quarter. Hackett was smart to take the game out of EJ's hands in the last few possessions.

The playcalling was pretty brilliant in the first half. Penalties kind of neutered us offensively in the second half and EJ was also falling apart at the seams in the 4th quarter. Hackett was smart to take the game out of EJ's hands in the last few possessions.

Where did you see EJ falling part in the 2nd half...The Ravens made better adjustments and tightened their defense. EJ made sure to protect the football.

Heck...We could be 4-0 or 0-4 the way these games have gone into the 2 minute warning in the 4th quarter. The fact that the Young Bills are in the games in the final minutes of a game is a tribute to this staff. I couldn't imagine Wannested or Edwards being able to run this defense with the type of injuries we have had. Another great thing is that while Pettine brings pressure by blitzing, the majority of the sacks have come from the front seven and not by the defensive backs. I hope they know how to stop the run moving forward.

I agree.....but I definitely feel we should be 3-1 but for the coaching decisions in game 1 specifically. It why I have been angry after the 1st 3 games. Young team with a bunch of talent and I feel that while the execution may not have been there the coaches blew it by not slowing things down so mayabe they could execute, or at least burn some clock and let the D catch a breather and try to hold on.

Totally agree on the thoughts around the D.

I'm excited for this team but the coaching staff needs to shake the rookie-ness more than the players IMO. SO I expect more anger following games. I mean if we get outplayed thats fine but if we lose when we could have won like against the Pats, then I tend to get upset. Ways of a life long Bills fan paying DTV so I can watch the games in Florida!

Go Bills!!!