Manuel vs. Ravens D

YoloinOhio

This is going to be a familiar refrain from what I said last week: Hackett needs to help EJ out early on by establishing a short, quick-hit passing game. Focus on slants to Stevie and Woods and flat routes to CJ, Freddie, ScoChan, and TJ. Widen those pass rushing LBs and deepen the interior, then hit 'em with the run game.

Just like we DIDN'T do last week.

I was listening to Mike & Mike this morning and Greeny mentioned (huge Jets fan, watched whole game) that the Bills offense seemed completely overwhelmed by te Jets defense. He wondered whether the Jets D was really that good or if it was the Bills O that couldn't adapt/execute. He mentioned how the Bills D gave the O a short field multiple times and they could only manage FGs, which he thought was the difference in the game. Golic said he felt the Jets D really was that good but that he also attributed it to inconsistency from the Bills from an experience standpoint, that you will see that fron a young team. Perhaps the experience last week will help Marrone with this week's game plan. I cant imagine they will do the same things the tried last week that did not work. However, the execution of the O line will be what tells the tale.

This is going to be a familiar refrain from what I said last week: Hackett needs to help EJ out early on by establishing a short, quick-hit passing game. Focus on slants to Stevie and Woods and flat routes to CJ, Freddie, ScoChan, and TJ. Widen those pass rushing LBs and deepen the interior, then hit 'em with the run game.

Just like we DIDN'T do last week.

+1

I'm not sure why so many people think the Ravens defense is all that. They were great several years ago and they've held onto that label.

I'm not saying we will win or make their defense look bad, but if their defense shuts us down, it's more on our offense than the Raven's defense. They have some good players, but they shouldn't be feared.

I'm not sure why so many people think the Ravens defense is all that. They were great several years ago and they've held onto that label.

I'm not saying we will win or make their defense look bad, but if their defense shuts us down, it's more on our offense than the Raven's defense. They have some good players, but they shouldn't be feared.

Not sure if Dumerville-Suggs-Ngata are past their prime at all, but those are 3 big names coming right at EJ.

They had a bad week 1, but have been great the past 2 weeks.

They had a bad week 1, but have been great the past 2 weeks.

I'm not really talking just this year. It's been a trend for a few years. They had that historically good defense many years ago and it seems people outside of Baltimore still think of them in that light.

Again, I'm not saying they are bad, but they are far from scary. Their secondary is average. They have some nice pieces in the front seven, but they are not fearsome.

Like I said, if they light it up against us Sunday, it's more on the Bills than the Ravens. Our OL looks pretty bad lately. We have a rookie QB who looked lost last week.

Here in Baltimore, there's been lots of complaints about the defense the last few years. Again, this defense isn't that defense of a decade ago. It's not even close.

Not sure if Dumerville-Suggs-Ngata are past their prime at all, but those are 3 big names coming right at EJ.

Will be another good learning experience for Marrone/Hackett/EJ that will benefit them down the road. Always better to play against teams/coaches who are better/more seasoned than you b/c you learn more competing against them. You also lose the game, but for a full restart rebuilding team currently fielding an Arena League secondary in a pass-first league that is besides the point.

Edited by 8and8Forever

Plus we almost beat a much better Ravens D with a non-worldbeater QB a couple years ago, well into an 0-8 start...

Screens, misdirections and boots would go a long way towards helping the O gain yards and points Sunday...you know the stuff we should have done against the Jets

Also in 3 games against some pretty impressive rushers, Cordy Glenn has allowed no sacks and only a single pressure which happened last week, according to PFF...

Dude is turning into a stud LT...

Plus we almost beat a much better Ravens D with a non-worldbeater QB a couple years ago, well into an 0-8 start...

That was the worst game the Ravens defense had all season. Not even Brees, Brady, Ryan or Schaub put up numbers like Fitzpatrick. Not really indicative of how good or bad, their defense was that year. The Bills put up close to 200 yards more then the Ravens allowed on average. No team is fairly measured by their best or worst game.

I'm not really talking just this year. It's been a trend for a few years. They had that historically good defense many years ago and it seems people outside of Baltimore still think of them in that light.

2011, the defense was 3rd in points, and 3rd in yards. Suggs was league DPOY and Ngata was also a top candidate. That was the year before last. Not exactly ancient history. Last years defense was average, which is why they basicly cleaned house. They still need some time to gel this year, with all the new pieces. But against Cleveland and Houston, there was no glearing weaknesses, although the front 7 is clearly ahead of the secondary.

I certainly think the Ravens defense is more talented then the Jets. But that was an away game and this is a home game, and the Ravens are kinda schitzophrenic, so who knows what will happen.

Last time we played the Ravens, Kyle Williams was in the backfield all day. I think our D could pose some problems for them. What I'd like to see more than anything though is some execution on the part of the offense. Sustain some drives and get into the endzone. We do that and this game is suddenly winnable.

Can we please mix in some screen plays?? We were one of the best screen teams last year and this year nothing.. Get Spiller in space please.

Seriously, if there was one play that Captain Chan clearly excelled at conceptualizing, it was the screen. No matter the announcer last year, they all couldn't rave enough about the design and execution of the screens, from QB to OL to RB... and even the WRs blocking.

Spiller yes, good in space, and did well with the screens.

FredEx I would argue was even better, with his magical slide around his OLinemen executing blocks, and his sixth sense of where the tacklers are...

I have not catalogued our offensive plays this year, so I might have missed something, but I can tell you absolutely for sure that I personally have not seen one screen play attempted yet.

Maybe Fred and CJ can draw one up from memory for Hackett?

Edited by Rhode Island Red