A look back at the Jets and the deep ball difficulties of Rogers

jonramz

I wish this was a more upbeat post... but I looked at the 1st 2 big plays for the Jets, both of them Stephen Hill beating Justin Rogers deep. It really was deja vu all over again.

http://yardsperpass.com/ <--- entire blog

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=332 <-- Deep ball to Hill on the 1st drive of the game

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=339 <--- 51 yard TD to Hill in the 2nd Q

Also I made a post on Monday about EJ needing to take the option more on the Zone read option... I was grumpy about it

http://yardsperpass.com/?p=328

I would really expect the Ravens to take their shots downfield as well on Sunday... hopefully those swirling winds, swirl extra.

Comments/Thoughts always welcomed.

-Jon

Edited by jonramz

Nice job.

I don't want a running QB, and I don't get the impression that EJ wants to run. Why is the Read Option Offense being used?

I think the ineffectiveness of the RO has been a bigger problem than the uptempo, no-huddle aspect of this offense.

Edited by Marauder'sMicro

Nice job.

I don't want a running QB, and I don't get the impression that EJ wants to run. Why is the Run Option Offense being used?

I think the ineffectiveness of the RO has been a bigger problem than the uptempo, no-huddle aspect of this offense.

^ Agree, not only does it simply not work gaining any positive yardage, we are put in bad 2nd and 3rd down situations that you need to avoid. I'd like to see some more easy first down throws.

Nice job.

I don't want a running QB, and I don't get the impression that EJ wants to run. Why is the Read Option Offense being used?

All 22 review by Joe B of WGR shows EJ consistently is making the wrong read on read option plays...ie, he hands it off when he could keep it for a 5 or 6 yard gain...

Perhaps he doesn't want to run it because the keys are pretty easy to read...I mean high schoolers do it all the time

Any QB facing the Bills right now is licking their chops at the prospect of facing our secondary. We are thin, and as coach says it's the "elephant in the room".

Bills need to figure out how to take the pressure off of our secondary. Geno had all day a few times and picked us apart. We need to mix things up and make Flacco uncomfortable early.

I agree that the read option hasn't been very creative. I have only seen EJ take it and run a few times. Right now its too predicable. EJ needs to keep it more. They need to do more bubble screens or short in-routes. Roll EJ out of the pocket more often. His greatest weapon is when he is on the move in space. The pocket isn't condusive for that when the defense has their ears pinned back and are in attack mode almost every passing down.

All 22 review by Joe B of WGR shows EJ consistently is making the wrong read on read option plays...ie, he hands it off when he could keep it for a 5 or 6 yard gain...

Perhaps he doesn't want to run it because the keys are pretty easy to read...I mean high schoolers do it all the time

Yeah, like I said, I don't think he wants to run with the ball.

Maybe he is still worried about his injury, but if that is the case, then don't use the read option, until he is comfortable.

Nice job.

I like my QBs at least slightly more mobile than a Drew Bledsoe. He doesn't have to run designed plays as much as Tebow was, but when the play breaks down and he's flushed from the pocket, I'd like him to be able to get a few first downs with his feet.

I agree that the read option hasn't been very creative. I have only seen EJ take it and run a few times. Right now its too predicable. EJ needs to keep it more. They need to do more bubble screens or short in-routes. Roll EJ out of the pocket more often. His greatest weapon is when he is on the move in space. The pocket isn't condusive for that when the defense has their ears pinned back and are in attack mode almost every passing down.

EJ has a lot to learn. They have to keep adding to his repertoire of plays. Hackett can only call the plays that EJ knows, and has executed well in practice. I think EJ (and the receivers) have a limited amount of plays at their disposal right now.

I like my QBs at least slightly more mobile than a Drew Bledsoe. He doesn't have to run designed plays as much as Tebow was, but when the play breaks down and he's flushed from the pocket, I'd like him to be able to get a few first downs with his feet.

Yeah, me too (actually I think everybody wants that). EJ is capable of that, but that really isn't the discussion.

It's "Why isn't he running when he should be running?"

Exactly - Roethlisberger, Luck, etc.

Maybe defenses are just doing a better job at defending the RO? Is anyone running it well this year? Eagles maybe with perhaps the best running QB of all time. NFL DC's figured out the wildcat and it is now extinct. The RO will likely be extinct soon as well. Harbaugh probably hinted at the reason. The NFL rules do not prohibit defenders from hitting the QB if he is running OR still in the process of carrying out a fake. The QB is only protected in the pocket during the act of throwing the ball. I think DC's are telling guys to hit the QB after the fake. It would be worth giving up a couple runs early in the game to take a few very legal shots at the QB.

I like my QB to be able to read defenses before the snap and make decisions a half a second faster than the average QB. You see Manning, Brees, or Brady running?

Agree with other poster - ability to avoid a sack is all the mobility I want. That is a combination of knowing when to move up or slide in the pocket and having the bulk to break a tackle.

Maybe defenses are just doing a better job at defending the RO? Is anyone running it well this year? Eagles maybe with perhaps the best running QB of all time. NFL DC's figured out the wildcat and it is now extinct. The RO will likely be extinct soon as well. Harbaugh probably hinted at the reason. The NFL rules do not prohibit defenders from hitting the QB if he is running OR still in the process of carrying out a fake. The QB is only protected in the pocket during the act of throwing the ball. I think DC's are telling guys to hit the QB after the fake. It would be worth giving up a couple runs early in the game to take a few very legal shots at the QB.

Maybe they are, but as far as the Bills games are concerned, and the plays that the OP dissected, and the point that the OP was trying to make, is that EJ isn't running when running is the correct read.

Pretty hard to judge the effectiveness of the Read Option, when the QB is making the wrong read (or just doesn't want to run with the ball).

EJ has a lot to learn. They have to keep adding to his repertoire of plays. Hackett can only call the plays that EJ knows, and has executed well in practice. I think EJ (and the receivers) have a limited amount of plays at their disposal right now.

Well said Marauder. and dead on. He is 3 weeks into his Rookie season. He's going to flounder on shore gulping to breath like a dying fish before he learns how to swim with the sharks. Let the man find his feet in the NFL, and bring him along as he gets better at running the plays our OC has developed. JMO anyway.

BigPappy

having watched EJ at Florida State, him making the wrong read on the zone read or even option plays was not an uncommon thing. After he got flattened by Travis Lewis of OU and injured his shoulder one year he hardly ever ran on designated run plays.

edit:

nice blog! missing out on those bubble screens hurts. :'(

those would have been easy, easy completions for good (3+) chunks of yards that probably would have eased the jets off their aggressive blitz tendencies. sigh.

Edited by bizell

I wish he would take off a little quicker. I know he's trying to stay in the pocket, but take off if it's there.