Bucs bench Josh Freeman

YoloinOhio

Saw this coming... he and Schiano not BFFs. Mike Glennon to start. I was hoping the Bills would play them with Freeman, as he has sucked so far. The Bucs have decent offensive weapons (Vincent Jackson, Doug Martin) and have lost a couple really close ones.

http://espn.go.com/n...an-mike-glennon

Edited by YoloInTheBlo

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd trade a late round pick for Freeman. I think the Bucs' coach is an idiot and a liar. He just said Freeman was going to start. He has never developed a QB. I'd love to take a chance on Freeman as our backup.

And this will be interesting. Personally, Glennon completely unimpressed me in college. I guess we'll see if I was wrong (there's a first time for everything :devil: ).

I'd trade a late round pick for Freeman. I think the Bucs' coach is an idiot and a liar. He just said Freeman was going to start. He has never developed a QB. I'd love to take a chance on Freeman as our backup.

And this will be interesting. Personally, Glennon completely unimpressed me in college. I guess we'll see if I was wrong (there's a first time for everything :devil: ).

Based on how we made Geno look, Glennon prob cant wait to have the best game of his rookie season against us. He probably has a poster of Justin Rogers on his wall.

Classic case of a guy being over-rated simply because he was a 1st round draft pick. We see the same thing here with Marcel Dareus. Lots of Bills fans think he is great because he was the 3rd pick in the draft but the fact of the matter is he's an average defensive tackle in the NFL if you look at his play objectively.

Edited by DDD

I would do this also. A late round pick for Freeman. I think he'd be a solid backup. Schiano is an idiot who is way in over his head. Mike Glennon over Freeman, haahahah.

Classic case of a guy being over-rated simply because he was a 1st round draft pick. We see the same thing here with Marcel Dareus. Lots of Bills fans think he is great but the fact of the matter is he's an average defensive tackle in the NFL if you look at his play objectively.

in freemans case he also had that GREAT 10 or so game stretch where he was the best qb in the league statistically. something like 20 tds to 3 ints or thereabout, with the last two weeks of the season being over 80% completions 7 tds and no picks. he looked promising early but (likely by his own lack of motivation) regressed.

I would do this also. A late round pick for Freeman. I think he'd be a solid backup. Schiano is an idiot who is way in over his head. Mike Glennon over Freeman, haahahah.

id be on the fence. i dont know id want him around a young guy, but he is talented. i think its one of those i could talk myself into if it did happen but im not really "wanting" it to happen.

Freeman is a gamer. It's bizarre how he's been turned into a pile of dung.

This surprises the hell out of me. I thought this kid was the real deal. I never wanted the Bills to go after Glennon. Now, at least, we can see what he's made of. Then again ... on this team, it might not be an accurate picture.

This surprises the hell out of me. I thought this kid was the real deal. I never wanted the Bills to go after Glennon. Now, at least, we can see what he's made of. Then again ... on this team, it might not be an accurate picture.

They are doing it ahead of the bye week so he can have time to get the reps and then will evaluate him this year to decide whether to go with him or draft a new guy. Freeman clearly out but TB won't give him away, according to Shefter. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

in freemans case he also had that GREAT 10 or so game stretch where he was the best qb in the league statistically. something like 20 tds to 3 ints or thereabout, with the last two weeks of the season being over 80% completions 7 tds and no picks. he looked promising early but (likely by his own lack of motivation) regressed.

When you look at qbs such as Brady, Peyton and Brees what distinguishes them is not their physical tools (although they have them) but it is their passion for the game that is exhibited by their incredible work ethic in their preparation for the game. That passion for the game is a self-centered drive that can't be induced by outside influences. You either have it or you don't.

There is no doubt that Freeman has the physical tools. That has never been an issue. The concern is whether he has the desire to do what is necessary to be great. Physical abilities are easy to measure. Leadership abilities are less tangible and less receptive to being measured. There are a variety of leadership styles and personality traits that can successfully work. But if you don't have the inner drive that comes from one's core then in the long run you will falter.

Tampa's HC is challenging Freeman and coaching him hard. Freeman isn't responding to well to that style of coaching. The source of the conflict stems from Freeman's makeup more than it does the coach. Schiano whats a certain type of person leading his team. It's not Freeman.

id be on the fence. i dont know id want him around a young guy, but he is talented. i think its one of those i could talk myself into if it did happen but im not really "wanting" it to happen.

I'm not on the fence that you are straddling. Absolutely not! We got a qb that can be developed. He has the physical tools and the right mental makeup. In this case it is much better to ride the horse you are on. Early on its not unusual to have a bumpy ride but eventually the ride will smooth out.

I'm not on the fence that you are straddling. Absolutely not! We got a qb that can be developed. He has the physical tools and the right mental makeup. In this case it is much better to ride the horse you are on. Early on its not unusual to have a bumpy ride but eventually the ride will smooth out.

i didnt mean to challenge EJ, not at all. i meant as a backup that would be a fellow big arm, large guy that can run a bit.... if EJ went down itd be pretty seamless. that said i doubt he wants to be a definite backup and i dont like the attitude that hes displayed so its not something id seek out but if it happened by some weird twist of events, i think i could be ok with it... Im talking him vs tuel, if anything.

Edited by NoSaint

Toss in Jamon Meredith in there and you got yourself a deal.

To be fair, he is easily tossed.

i didnt mean to challenge EJ, not at all. i meant as a backup that would be a fellow big arm, large guy that can run a bit.... if EJ went down itd be pretty seamless. that said i doubt he wants to be a definite backup and i dont like the attitude that hes displayed so its not something id seek out but if it happened by some weird twist of events, i think i could be ok with it... Im talking him vs tuel, if anything.

Agreed 100%

When you look at qbs such as Brady, Peyton and Brees what distinguishes them is not their physical tools (although they have them) but it is their passion for the game that is exhibited by their incredible work ethic in their preparation for the game. That passion for the game is a self-centered drive that can't be induced by outside influences. You either have it or you don't.

There is no doubt that Freeman has the physical tools. That has never been an issue. The concern is whether he has the desire to do what is necessary to be great. Physical abilities are easy to measure. Leadership abilities are less tangible and less receptive to being measured. There are a variety of leadership styles and personality traits that can successfully work. But if you don't have the inner drive that comes from one's core then in the long run you will falter.

Tampa's HC is challenging Freeman and coaching him hard. Freeman isn't responding to well to that style of coaching. The source of the conflict stems from Freeman's makeup more than it does the coach. Schiano whats a certain type of person leading his team. It's not Freeman.

generally i agree, but will say it almost sounds like you are giving schiano some credit or benefit of the doubt that im not sure he deserves either. i think the finger points at both, not one or the other in this case.

1) In his 2nd year in the league, he threw 25 tds to 6 ints. That's awesome. Last year, he passed for over 4,000 yards and finished with a 27 td to 17 int. In his last 3 games, he threw 2 tds to 9 ints, meaning his ratio before that was 25 td to 8 ints. That's still really good. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/gamelog/_/id/12473/year/2012/josh-freeman

2) Who is Schiano anyways? He is trying to be a hard @ss but he doesn't have the rep for it. He never developed a QB once at Rutgers. A guy like Harbaugh can be a hard @ss because he makes every QB he works with better. Schiano has had the exact opposite effect.

3) This is what good teams do. They get talent at cheap prices. The 49ers are loaded with 1st rounders who didn't live up to expectations on their first team. You could probably dangle a 6th for Freeman. That's not worth it for his potential?

Sorry, this sounds like a lot of mumbo-jumbo to me.

There are coaches whose style doesn't mesh well with certain players. That doesn't seem that out of the question, nor does the idea that Schiano might not have a very long NFL career ahead of him. It seems like he's had it out for Freeman from the get-go and would prefer to develop and control a guy drafted during his regime.

The "passion for football" thing is just a big blanket for a bunch of little things like preparation, studying, actual honest-to-goodness smarts and ability to learn and process information, and more. Sure, those things matter, but one might have said Drew Brees didn't have "passion for football" before he started to find consistent success and "get it."

I think we expect way too much, way too quickly of most players. I think very few people who play football aren't really passionate about it on some level. It doesn't need to be reduced to a catchphrase or a kind of new agey characterization of footballness that emanates from the inner core.

Josh Freeman could easily find the right match in a system with a coach where mutual trust can develop.

He could also be a fine backup for the rest of his career. Schiano seems to be losing control of his team and I'll wager that Freeman will be around long after he is gone.

I didn't mean to suggest that you are challenging EJ. That is not the case.

The problem isn't so much that we are lacking a credible backup if he gets hurt (we are) but the problem arises when our rookie qb struggles. That is now happening and will continue to happen this year. It is an unavoidable part of the developmental process. Freeman is still a young qb who is not going to want to play behind another young qb that the franchise drafted in the first round. It's not going to work here for EJ or Freeman. My point is that it is more about the situation than it is about the talent.

Saw this coming... he and Schiano not BFFs. Mike Glennon to start. I was hoping the Bills would play them with Freeman, as he sucks.

http://espn.go.com/n...an-mike-glennon

I dont understand how Freeman went into this doghouse... He is NOT a bad QB at all. Have u guys watched TB in past few yrs? Coming into to last yr he was very solidly entrenched as franchise QB and was having a very good yr and then the whole team sucked at end. Which is more cuz of Schiano being a moron and he is makes Gailey look like a quality HC. This yr, he drove them to GW drive in week 1 only to have Lavonte David cost them the game with stupid personal foul to put Jets in FG range.

Drove them down to take lead in 4th vs Saints team that everyone thought would be a blowout only to have Brees run a perfect last drive of game to milk all the clock and set kicker up for easy GW FG.

TB has a lot of solid pieces in place and putting Glennon in WILL NOT HELP. HC is one who needs to go, not Freeman. This is a team with a very good D, a top flight young RB and Vincent Jackson got his big pay day and has played like mid tier #1 WR. (Better than SJ13 even tho SJ is actually a friend of mine, not just my fav player). And Mike Williams is a very solid #2 and both are big and physical . The scheme on O is beyond vanilla and I for one would LOVE if we get to play them with Glennon. I'd even pick up Bills D in fantasy for that game cuz he;s statue in pocket and will get sacked 4+ times a game on avg and may throw for some decent yards (in garbage time) he will overthrow easy crossing routes over middle which will be a field day for safeties and hopefully Byrd is playing and healthy by then cuz that could be the game that he can put up big #'s stats wise for a Safety and he will be awful at slants too. Only thing Glennon does well is his has a cannon for an arm and can strretch field on deep balls and they have one of best WR in NFL for the deep in VJAX who is not only fast, he's huge and a mismatch on jump balls for 90% of DB's. Only thing, Glennon will probably over throw the deep balls as badly as Cam did vs us. He may have hit that 1 to Ginn which was on every quick game recap but they didnt show how many times he WELL OVERTHREW either Ginn or Smith and i think even Lafell got deep on a play and DB;s were beaten by a few yards on almost all deep balls in that game. We were lucky to win that 1 and when coaches went through tape i dont understand how they didnt realize even Jets moronic coaching would see Rogers getting TOASTED by Ginn play after play on tape. Didnt show in stats cuz only 1 was caught but the guy was beaten time after time and Geno had to be licking his chops.

On Geno's 1st TD to Hill he had HEAVY pressure up middle from Kyle and had to RUSH the throw and on top on it throw of his back foot and still Rogers couldnt make play on ball that was thrown earlier than intended and without being able to step into it. Give Geno credit on that 1 too, cuz considering the pressure, he did STILL get the ball on the money and gave his WR a chance to make a play.

Sorry, this sounds like a lot of mumbo-jumbo to me.

There are coaches whose style doesn't mesh well with certain players. That doesn't seem that out of the question, nor does the idea that Schiano might not have a very long NFL career ahead of him. It seems like he's had it out for Freeman from the get-go and would prefer to develop and control a guy drafted during his regime.

The "passion for football" thing is just a big blanket for a bunch of little things like preparation, studying, actual honest-to-goodness smarts and ability to learn and process information, and more. Sure, those things matter, but one might have said Drew Brees didn't have "passion for football" before he started to find consistent success and "get it."

I think we expect way too much, way too quickly of most players. I think very few people who play football aren't really passionate about it on some level. It doesn't need to be reduced to a catchphrase or a kind of new agey characterization of footballness that emanates from the inner core.

Josh Freeman could easily find the right match in a system with a coach where mutual trust can develop.

He could also be a fine backup for the rest of his career. Schiano seems to be losing control of his team and I'll wager that Freeman will be around long after he is gone.

I agree with all of this. I remember last offseason, Freeman went glutten free and lost 25 lbs. That sounds like a guy who is pretty serious.

Saw what you want about the Marrone hire but DM has worked with great Qbs (Brees) and had a very average talent (Nassib) get drafted. Waht has Schiano ever done with a QB?