It's not that hard to believe

JP-era

I love this move and it is EXACTLY the right thing to do.

I bet Drew goes Henrys route and claims that he should be traded to start somewhere else. Isnt worth much, maybe a 4th rounder.

Cards interested in Henry, how about a package deal for both Drew and Henry!

Drews numbers tell the story and you dont pay a guy 6.5 mil to play mediocre/crappy! Especially with your highly regarded future on the wings.

Sorry for the Drew related post but breaking news is authorization for a post.

207149[/snapback]

Replying to yourself now? :rolleyes:

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it just means that Losman might be just as good as a bad Bledsoe and that the money saved might be better spent elsewhere.

207188[/snapback]

Im OK with that analysis! Thats how I feel about it, JP doesnt have to be Manning next year, he only has to be a average as Bledsoe and he is an upgrade as far as Im concerned because JP doesnt have some mental passers block when playing against big teams, at least we dont know if he does yet. With Drew we already know!

Hmm - I thought I had read somewhere that it was a $6 - $8 million hit, but I could be totally wrong.

207170[/snapback]

The hit is only what Drew's new bonus was when he signed the new deal last year. In order for the hit to be 8 million it would have had to be a 12 million bonus, as I believe it was a new three year deal, and it wasn't.

Garcia? maybe even Kitna? Agreed MUCH better than adding another STATUE!

207187[/snapback]

Frankly, screw bringing in someone else. For Christ's sake, you want to spend all of next year watching Garcia or Kitna try to learn our offense? Figure out how to throw to Moulds? Or Evans? Please...if we're going to change QBs, then just go to JP and get it over with already. But don't make me watch some other serviceable quarterback play just because a handful of people think Warner, Kitna or Garcia are better than Bledsoe...because they're not.

Besides, look for Drew to take a million or two pay cut and remain with the Bills. He is not going to get 5 million from another team with a brand new deal. TD is just playing smart and Drew will look at the big picture. No one, including you, and Drew, and TD, knew for sure how Drew was going to play this year in the new offense. He ended up being a tease, as usual, and there is no definitive answer as to whether the Bills are better with him or without him. This demand of a paycut is just good football smarts by TD. As a GM you always need to put a price tag on what you think each player is worth to your team. He now knows what he may have in Losman, and he knows that Drew did pretty good in MM's offense but not great. He now thinks with those two peices of knowledge that Bledsoe's worth is different than last year. DB would be worth more if he played better or Losman looked worse.

207185[/snapback]

Im gonna take it a step further and off on a tangent. I think the reason he TD went here with a paycut demand MAY be in part due to targeting some high paid STUD!

I bet that TD saw a reported restructure from Moulds, knew his cap situation, and figured additional cap savings from Drew would put him in the running for some STAR at a need position. My guess:

WALTER JONES!!!! I dont think he will be tagged by Sea. I think they tag Alexander instead and Jones is available.

Jonas ISNT a top tier LT, yet, but will demand fairly big money. I b et TD looks at it and says, Id rather pay some more and get a STAR!

He may even have in mind adding 2 stars!

Isn't it nice that TD might be seeing what we are seeing and that he got a little miffed about just how much jack Drew is making?

I mean....think about it for a minute...I like Drew the person but the fact is that SHANE MATHEWS LOOKED BETTER THEN HE DID WHEN HE GOT ON THE FIELD

And that is way too much money getting spent on a player like that

Welcome to the Losman era

Im gonna take it a step further and off on a tangent. I think the reason he TD went here with a paycut demand MAY be in part due to targeting some high paid STUD!

I bet that TD saw a reported restructure from Moulds, knew his cap situation, and figured additional cap savings from Drew would put him in the running for some STAR at a need position. My guess:

WALTER JONES!!!! I dont think he will be tagged by Sea. I think they tag Alexander instead and Jones is available.

Jonas ISNT a top tier LT, yet, but will demand fairly big money. I b et TD looks at it and says, Id rather pay some more and get a STAR!

He may even have in mind adding 2 stars!

207200[/snapback]

I think you are on to something. Even if TD wants to just keep our own FA's, he needs cap room. Drew may realize that getting 1 mil holding a clipboard is better than being out of football. I can't see any team giving Drew a chance to start.

PTR

They gave him a ridiculous $6.5MM signing bonus last year.  He's due $1.5MM in roster bonus in March, I think that's the one they want to avoid.  He'll cost $4.3 against the dead cap if cut in March.

207191[/snapback]

Drew is slotted to take up 6 million in cap sace if he's on the roster next year (that includes bonus pro rated and salary)....if he does not play next year drew will cost us 4 million against the cap next year (accellerated unamortized bonus)..

therefore..releasing drew ADDS 2 Million to our cap situation even tho 4 million is added to 'dead cap money'

A trade is the same impact as releasing him...would love to trade drew to a dallas for a 4th rounder or 3rd...

Isn't it nice that TD might be seeing what we are seeing and that he got a little miffed about just how much jack Drew is making?

I mean....think about it for a minute...I like Drew the person but the fact is that SHANE MATHEWS LOOKED BETTER THEN HE DID WHEN HE GOT ON THE FIELD

And that is way too much money getting spent on a player like that

Welcome to the Losman era

207202[/snapback]

While I agree with you some, Matthews threw one (albeit nice) pass to Lee Evans late vs the horrible 49ers. Not enough to decide he is as good as DB, although I do believe the difference between them is not several million $$$.

PTR

Frankly, screw bringing in someone else. For Christ's sake, you want to spend all of next year watching Garcia or Kitna try to learn our offense? Figure out how to throw to Moulds? Or Evans? Please...if we're going to change QBs, then just go to JP and get it over with already. But don't make me watch some other serviceable quarterback play just because  a handful of people think Warner, Kitna or Garcia are better than Bledsoe...because they're not.

207198[/snapback]

I am NOT a fan of bringing in a vet at this point. But I can see the advantages and there is some sense in this move.

I would be worried that it sends the WRONG message to a young guy that your showing some confidence in. You cut or trade Drew and then add another vet to compete? It makes sense as far as having backup plans goes if JP fails. But it may hurt the confidence of your young QB.

Id rather draft a young guy fairly high (3rd, 4th) and have a competition where JP has the experience edge but DOES have to pay attention to his play. Having NO viable option at #2 (Mathews is NOT a viable starter) may ALLOW JP to play and act a touch too nonchalant. With so much on the line, we need JP to be straight laced and mentaly tough with a never say die attitude. I dont want him to either be looking "up" to the starting job, or NOT be looking "down" at a viable starter on the bench.

I think you are on to something.  Even if TD wants to just keep our own FA's, he needs cap room.  Drew may realize that getting 1 mil holding a clipboard is better than being out of football.  I can't see any team giving Drew a chance to start.

PTR

207203[/snapback]

Oh, I don't know about that. There are some teams out there with some BAD Qbs that would give Bledsoe a chance at starting. Baltimore, Cleveland, Miami, Arizona, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit (if Harrington is released) and San Francisco are all teams that might be willing to give Bledsoe a shot. And I wouldn't blame them. Sure, he's mediocre at this point in his career, but that's better than terrible.

I think you are on to something.  Even if TD wants to just keep our own FA's, he needs cap room.  Drew may realize that getting 1 mil holding a clipboard is better than being out of football.  I can't see any team giving Drew a chance to start.

PTR

207203[/snapback]

Im not so ure about no team giving him a chance. Kurt got another gig didnt he? Hell, the cards went with McCown as did the Browns, Drew is better than BOTH!

Drew may realize that getting 1 mil holding a clipboard is better than being out of football.  I can't see any team giving Drew a chance to start.

207203[/snapback]

To be honest, could you see Drew hanging around as a backup for 1-2 Mil a year ? I can't. Someone either trades for him, giving him a legit shot at the starter role or he retires.

Drew is slotted to take up 6 million in cap sace if he's on the roster next year (that includes bonus pro rated and salary)....if he does not play next year drew will cost us 4 million against the cap next year (accellerated unamortized bonus)..

therefore..releasing drew ADDS 2 Million to our cap situation even tho 4 million is added to 'dead cap money'

A trade is the same impact as releasing him...would love to trade drew to a dallas for a 4th rounder or 3rd...

207205[/snapback]

I guess we're at the time of the season where explanations of cap rules take over the board.

If Drew is on the team under existing contract, the cap hit is nearly $7MM

If Drew is not on the team under existing contract, the cap hit is over $4MM

Net cap saving about $3MM - you only count the unamortized bonus when you release a player.

The main issue that people miss in discussing cap, is the real $$ Ralph has to pay players. Drew is due about $5MM in real money this year, which Ralph may not want to pay, considering he shelled out $8MM to him in '04