While everyone's full of sunshine and rainbows...

eball

I guess what I should have said is that he appears to be injury prone due to his size and running style, and not an every down back. That is no knock on him. He will get 1,000 yards even with 50 percent carries. He's that good.

I was pointing out that the appearance that he is injury prone is just that. An appearance......not a reality.

IMO, a lot of talk revolving around Spiller is myth and conjecture.

If we take his highest rushing 8 games last season (14 or more carries in a game).....

His stats were....

142 rushes (17.75/game)

867 yards (6.1 yards/carry)

He was certainly not over-worked in theses 8 games. Carry numbers were: 14, 15, 22, 14, 14, 17, 22, 24.

Had he been used similar in the other 8 games he would have been....

284 rushes (8th in NFL)

1734 yards (2nd in NFL)

Edited by Dibs

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have doubts about Hackett and the up temp offense which contradict itself by being conservative

this has also impacted the defense as they have worn down at the end of games

The up tempo offense is definitely going to have that impact on the defense, as we have seen with other teams in the league who run it as well. However, I don't think being up tempo and conservative are independent of each other. They have very inexperienced QB and need to balance that, with protecting the ball as a main concern. Edited by YoloInTheBlo

It's fandom nature to say the other guy stunk. We said the same thing about Gailey when he replaced the other guy. (Well, Skeletor DID stink).

Gailey was actually a masterful game planner on offense. What he did with minimal talent was nothing short of outstanding. Under him, our offense had rhythm and drove the ball despite having a bottom tiered QB who couldn't throw deep and a bevy of practice squad caliber receivers playing No. 2, 3 and 4 positions. This board said that over and over and over -- and over -- his first two years here (3rd not so much). I'm expecting many here to forget that.

Where Gailey failed, consistently, was his inability to adapt during games (hence why NE beat us three times in the second half after we were up) and his wretched pick of Wannstache, and his inattentiveness to the D. He also, as many here have noted, underused Spiller, but I am guessing not by too much given his size and penchant for injuries.

And while he generally was able to crush bad teams, he was not able to beat top caliber teams. There is a reason why he was fired from Ga Tech--getting shut out by Georgia every single year. Marrone, so far, hasn't showed enough to differentiate himself. He has like a .500 record at his previous gig, and so far is .500 here.

I'm reserving judgment on Marrone, but am thrilled with Pettine. The transformation on D has been magic. I am, however, worried about Hackett's inexperience. So far our offense, despite having an exciting franchise player at QB, has completely lacked rhythm and an ability to drive consistently. Where we seem so far to excel at is the clutch drives, which were nonexistent under Gailey.

All in all, it appears our coaching at HC is better and there is no doubt whatsoever that our new DC is miles ahead of the other guy. But to imply that Gailey wasn't strategic or a good game planner is off base IMO.

What? As a head coach Gailey was a good offensive coordinator. That is all he ever was.

I was positive that based on the subject title that microscope wrote this.

Something like "while everyone's full of sunshine and rainbows....we have a franchise safety faking an injury, our backup QB is still an undrafted rookie, Goodwin is probably out for the season and Gilmore had a setback in therapy.

You know we're all sensitive about Gilmore being hurt. Please don't type any false information like "Gilmore had a setback in therapy" when really he didn't. It creates unnecessary negative energy. Thanks...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

As far as I'm concerned, the greatest reason for hope is EJ Manuel. This kid has shown more grit in his first two outings than I realistically expected.

Marching down field, and imposing your will in the final seconds of a game is HUGE. There is no stat for STUD. -It cannot be faked, or reproduced. IMO, It is incontravertible proof of a winner. EJ is looking more and more like the lunch box that Bills fans have been STARVING for.

There is just ONE missing peice (on offense). -Well, maybe two...

1)A reliable deep threat/red zone target, and 2) a catch-all slot guy. (Which SHOULD be Marcus Easley) -THAT'S IT.

-On Defense, our secodary BLOWS. However, the D line seems to be improving every week!

Right now, I'm kinda tepid on the coaching. it looks OK, but I'm not "blown away" by their prowess by any means...

Don't forget how big a part Brady plays in making Bellichick look "great".

Once he gets a bit more confidence, Manuel Drive could be automatic. GO BILLS!

-On Defense, our secodary BLOWS. However, the D line seems to be improving every week!

Agreed. Our secondary is being manned by backups and misfits.....but....and here's the good news....with our sucky secondary we are still 13th in passing yards allowed & 5th in passing yards/attempt. We are also equal 1st in sacks(which might help explain the first two rankings).

Gilmore & Byrd should see that sucky(though productive) secondary become....well, less sucky.

If you read a couple posts down, i said "no, gilmore did not have a setback."

Yeah I read that but it took like 45 seconds to see that post after reading the initial Gilmore had a setback post. The stress I felt in those 45 seconds may have took a day out of my remaining time on this earth. Let's say I'm to die on January 13th, 2040, now because of those 45 seconds of stress I'm gonna die on January 12th, 2040...

I will remember you on my death bed.

It's fandom nature to say the other guy stunk. We said the same thing about Gailey when he replaced the other guy. (Well, Skeletor DID stink).

Gailey was actually a masterful game planner on offense. What he did with minimal talent was nothing short of outstanding. Under him, our offense had rhythm and drove the ball despite having a bottom tiered QB who couldn't throw deep and a bevy of practice squad caliber receivers playing No. 2, 3 and 4 positions. This board said that over and over and over -- and over -- his first two years here (3rd not so much). I'm expecting many here to forget that.

Where Gailey failed, consistently, was his inability to adapt during games (hence why NE beat us three times in the second half after we were up) and his wretched pick of Wannstache, and his inattentiveness to the D. He also, as many here have noted, underused Spiller, but I am guessing not by too much given his size and penchant for injuries.

And while he generally was able to crush bad teams, he was not able to beat top caliber teams. There is a reason why he was fired from Ga Tech--getting shut out by Georgia every single year. Marrone, so far, hasn't showed enough to differentiate himself. He has like a .500 record at his previous gig, and so far is .500 here.

I'm reserving judgment on Marrone, but am thrilled with Pettine. The transformation on D has been magic. I am, however, worried about Hackett's inexperience. So far our offense, despite having an exciting franchise player at QB, has completely lacked rhythm and an ability to drive consistently. Where we seem so far to excel at is the clutch drives, which were nonexistent under Gailey.

All in all, it appears our coaching at HC is better and there is no doubt whatsoever that our new DC is miles ahead of the other guy. But to imply that Gailey wasn't strategic or a good game planner is off base IMO.

I said it when he was hired, and I still contend, Gailey's biggest problem was he never hired a competent OC. Then he coupled that mistake by hiring weak DCs, as well. There have been few, if any, HCs that were the defacto OC or DC and had successful teams. It's just too much for one person to do.

In today's NFL you need a strong staff and Gailey never built that. So, yeah, he could get the offense moving. But, his in game adjustments were poor, his defensive teams were poor, and his in game clock mgmt type decisions were poor. IMO, all indicative of a guy that failed to surround himself with a strong supporting staff.

Gilmore & Byrd should see that sucky(though productive) secondary become....well, less sucky.

To be honest, I don't miss Byrd's whiny, disgruntled @ss all that much... Unfortunately I'm in the camp that was never that impressed with him to begin with. I'd like to see them give Duke Williams a legitimate shot at FS... Williams is one of those young, hungry kids that can flat-out PLAY. Not sure what they're saving him for.

As far as Gilmore is goes, I'm not so sure McKelvin can't thrive at that position. He is one heck of a CB when he's focused. -Guy surprised the heck out of me last week.

IMO Gailey was indeed strategic and a good game planner......but.....when other teams started to figure out his system (ala last season) he was either incapable or unwilling to change his play calling and strategies. He also seemed unable to figure out the actual talents of his players (RB & QB being the most obvious).

In regards to Spiller being injury prone.....he's only missed 2 games in his rookie year(2010) and has played every game since.

Gailey was very good at seeing the strengths and weaknesses on offense. He put together a unit that was below average in talent in many positions, coached them up as a unit, and was able to move the ball, even against good defenses. Gailey's problem was, and this was true in previous gigs for him, that he stuck with limited players for too long. He got stuck in a rut with a spread offense, that could only play a short, horizontal passing game; because, not only was it the strength of his key and limited players but it had worked fairly well early on. He just didn't have any other cards to play -- they didn't have the players to go multiple TEs and smash a defense on the ground, for example. Not all NFL DCs are as complacent and indolent as Wannstedt and thus they worked to take away what worked for Gailey's offense and he had to fall back to a position of trying to pay the bill with pocket lint.

It's a shame this thread has degenerated into some misguided defense of Chan Gailey's offensive genius, because that's simply not what I'm talking about. Chan could coach offense -- great. He also failed miserably at adapting his gameplan once things weren't going well, he completely ignored the defense, and his in-game management decisions left a lot to be desired.

All of those things appear to have been addressed with the new coaching staff, and that's why I feel more confident going into games this season that the Bills won't lose simply because of what does or doesn't happen between the coaches' ears.

To take it a step further -- I believe this coaching staff would have taken last year's roster, warts and all, and won at least 10 games with it.

Great analysis. If Chan had gone with Pettine for D-Coordinator he is probably still the head coach of the Buffalo Bills. Wannysuck had to have the worst scheme in modern football end of story.

That is old news though. To the Op's point there is rising hope in B-lo simply because the coaching staff is light years better as a group. The Bills also appear to have put together a decent draft - time will be the ultimate judge of this but it does appear that the Bills grabbed three solid players in this past draft with maybe one or two more role contributors.

If the Bills can put together another solid draft next year who knows how this thing plays out.

With all of that said, we have sucked for so long that it is hard to know if the situation is real. I suppose in another 15 weeks we will have a very good sense of that.

It's a shame this thread has degenerated into some misguided defense of Chan Gailey's offensive genius, because that's simply not what I'm talking about. Chan could coach offense -- great. He also failed miserably at adapting his gameplan once things weren't going well, he completely ignored the defense, and his in-game management decisions left a lot to be desired.

All of those things appear to have been addressed with the new coaching staff, and that's why I feel more confident going into games this season that the Bills won't lose simply because of what does or doesn't happen between the coaches' ears.

To take it a step further -- I believe this coaching staff would have taken last year's roster, warts and all, and won at least 10 games with it.

Give Gailey Petrine last year and we win 10 games. We wouldn't have won games if we had Hackett last year without Pettine.

Way to get it back on the rails ... I am proud of this staff. They really seem like they will go balls out each week to try to get the W.

As opposed to mid-last year, when I felt like Chan was just in too deep over his head, and he wouldn't think to talk defense with Dave because, after all, Dave hired him on as his OC in Miami, so that's the breaks ...