An awesome Craigslist ad in Missed Connections

The Poojer

Whatever point she thought she had, she lost it when she confused rudeness with compliments, and decided that even an honest compliment is disempowering and selfish.

The kind of woman who bitches she can open her own doors when you open one for her, and bitches about how rude you are when you don't.

Let's narrow the scope here and put things back in context.. She is talking about these specific cat call type of incidents.

Since when are leering and shouting cat calls NOT rude? When do cat calls become honest compliments that empower?

Though, I see what you have done, I will give her the benefit of doubt that she means: "cat call" when she said: "When you comment on a woman's appearance..." and "If you really find a woman beautiful..." In that case, she has not confused rudeness w/honest compliment. There are guys (and even gals) out there that honestly believe that a cat call is flattery and not disempowering even with the dynamics of this specific situation.

Here is the content of the text that you are dislodging from what was earlier said in her post. This text is easy to take out of context which appears you have done on purpose:

"Let me make this abundantly clear, to you and to the other men reading this: when you comment on a woman's appearance, you are not doing it for her. You are doing it for you. It's not some great way to make a woman feel sexy and appreciated. It's not flattery, even if you mean for it to be. The only thing it is is a great way for you to create a ****ty power dynamic, by which you have announced yourself as the arbiter of her value, and you've deemed her f**kable, and she is supposed to be happy or impressed by that.

If you really find a woman beautiful, don't choose the juvenile selfish route that makes her feel weird and you look like an !@#$. Just take a deep breath, commit the image to memory, and get on with your life. Or, if it's really that great of an ass that you can't possibly survive without commenting on it, post about it on CL missed connections after the fact and let her decide what to do about it."

Anyway... What was GBiD doing in Minny on a Friday? That is a long way from Dallas! ;-)

Ring a ding ding ding ding ding.

She has a "challenging profession" and lots to do this weekend, but none of that is going to stop her from dwelling on these three insignificant seconds as she walks up to the light rail platform, for the duration of her ride, on her walk home, and all the while she hammers out and edits a cliche-ridden 500 word pseudo-rant that does virtually nothing to resolve the "situation."

Yes, he's a douche. So don't !@#$ing let it get in your head. And CERTAINLY not to the extent that you have to take to strangers on Craigslist to feel better about yourself.

He's an ass, she's got issues.

I'll bet it took her all of 2 minutes to hammer that out. Her "issue" is she values herself, doesn't like being treated like crap, and isn't afraid to let people know about it.

i also took it as a blanket statement about all guys commenting about how she looks or is dressed, if i misinterpreted her intention i am glad

Let's narrow the scope here and put things back in context.. She is talking about these specific cat call type of incidents.

Since when are leering and shouting cat calls NOT rude? When do cat calls become honest compliments that empower?

Though, I see what you have done, I will give her the benefit of doubt that she means: "cat call" when she said: "When you comment on a woman's appearance..." and "If you really find a woman beautiful..." In that case, she has not confused rudeness w/honest compliment. There are guys (and even gals) out there that honestly believe that a cat call is flattery and not disempowering even with the dynamics of this specific situation.

Here is the content of the text that you are dislodging from what was earlier said in her post. This text is easy to take out of context which appears you have done on purpose:

"Let me make this abundantly clear, to you and to the other men reading this: when you comment on a woman's appearance, you are not doing it for her. You are doing it for you. It's not some great way to make a woman feel sexy and appreciated. It's not flattery, even if you mean for it to be. The only thing it is is a great way for you to create a ****ty power dynamic, by which you have announced yourself as the arbiter of her value, and you've deemed her f**kable, and she is supposed to be happy or impressed by that.

If you really find a woman beautiful, don't choose the juvenile selfish route that makes her feel weird and you look like an !@#$. Just take a deep breath, commit the image to memory, and get on with your life. Or, if it's really that great of an ass that you can't possibly survive without commenting on it, post about it on CL missed connections after the fact and let her decide what to do about it."

Anyway... What was GBiD doing in Minny on a Friday? That is a long way from Dallas! ;-)

i also took it as a blanket statement about all guys commenting about how she looks or is dressed, if i misinterpreted her intention i am glad

I can't take it a a blanket statement about "all guys." That is just silly and unreasonable. I think when she says: "comments on a woman's appearance..." she means cat calls. Does she even know the term: cat call? I highly doubt that it applies to all guys. I mean her father, brother, or somebody else giving her a comment on how well she looks makes her F****able? IMO, she is addressing a specific crowd of guys. Maybe, the "would ya?" crowd. ;-) Just my 2 cents. I mean why would she not get the benefit of doubt after reading the first part of her screed? It is such an easy defense to paint her as a "man hating femi-nazi" especially when it appears she didn't choose her words wisely/clearly.

Anway... I think of this (Ruth Orkin photo):

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/bWT6.dAONCmULMwOdjTJ_A--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/152/2011/08/18/girlAmerican-Girl-in-Italy_231853.jpg

Ninalee Craig's take:

http://www.today.com/id/44182286/ns/today-today_news/t/subject-american-girl-italy-photo-speaks-out/

Maybe we can all learn something from the past?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois