Pro Football Hall Of Fame canidates announced

Just Jack

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone voting for the HOF doesn't know who Andre Reed is, they really shouldn't be voting. You think if Reed got himself on Dancing With the Stars he would get into the football HOF?

No but the ongoing networking and personal relationships likely doesn't hurt the guys that are on set and fresh in minds.

Instead of that tweet, cris carter would be all over espn defending himself, and I don't think any of his current colleagues would say it in the first place

So now we wait for the cut down to 15.

If I were voting the 15 finalists would be:

Andre Reed

Marvin Harrison

Tim Brown

Paul Tagliabue

Aeneas Williams

Charles Haley

Derrick Brooks

Steve Atwater

John Lynch

Eddie DeBartolo Jr.

Walter Jones

Will Shields

Tony Dungy

Don Coryell

Joe Jacoby

@Andre_Reed83

Quitting has never been in my vocab...#justsayin #Dadtaughtme

Andre defends his work ethic

Bills Wall of Famer and once again semifinalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Andre Reed, had to take to Twitter to defend himself when national NFL reporter Michael Silver accused Reed of quitting in the 1995 AFC playoff game against Pittsburgh.

Silver made the accusation on Wednesday night’s Hall of Fame show on NFL Network when the list of primary nominees was reduced to 25 semifinalists. Reed is one of them again. He cited an Orlando Sentinel story as the means for his position, despite the fact that in the story, then head coach Marv Levy effectively explains how any thoughts about Reed letting them down quickly evaporated.

Several Bills/former Bills on the list...

http://www.profootba...rn-era-nominees

I think Reed will get in. There has been a fair amount of lobbying for him and I think he will sneak in. Ted Washington almost certainly doesn't get it, but he was a more impactful player than Cortez Kennedy IMO. In 1997 he was about as dominant as a lineman can possibly be. Didn't get his due until he signed with Chicago after Donahoe cut him and the Pats don't win that SB without him. He was an immovable force in the middle for a decade straight. I am a 'Canes fan and I have no idea how Kennedy made it to the HOF. He basically mailed in the last half of his career.

I am on the border with Andre Reed getting in, but to question his heart is ridiculous. He was one of the bravest big time receivers going over the middle that I have ever seen, and that is the biggest reason why he should be considered for the HoF. His stats are a fraction less than some other guys, but the catches he made were often right across the middle, in the most dangerous area on the field.

I think Reed will get in. There has been a fair amount of lobbying for him and I think he will sneak in. Ted Washington almost certainly doesn't get it, but he was a more impactful player than Cortez Kennedy IMO. In 1997 he was about as dominant as a lineman can possibly be. Didn't get his due until he signed with Chicago after Donahoe cut him and the Pats don't win that SB without him. He was an immovable force in the middle for a decade straight. I am a 'Canes fan and I have no idea how Kennedy made it to the HOF. He basically mailed in the last half of his career.

Yeah I never understood how Kennedy made it.

You could also say the same thing about Warren Sapp. He was a dominant force for Tampa Bay, but when he got to Oakland, he was not the same player.

I would vote for Andre, Haley, W. Jones, and D. Brooks, maybe Terrell as well. Twist my arm, & I would consider Harrison, DeBartolo, and (holding my nose) Jimmah. Dungy is a PC 1st-ballot lock (see: Warren Moon). Now that Cris Carter is in, Jerome Bettis takes over as my most cringe-worthy candidate.

I would vote for Andre, Haley, W. Jones, and D. Brooks, maybe Terrell as well. Twist my arm, & I would consider Harrison, DeBartolo, and (holding my nose) Jimmah. Dungy is a PC 1st-ballot lock (see: Warren Moon). Now that Cris Carter is in, Jerome Bettis takes over as my most cringe-worthy candidate.

Me too. Bettis will get in the HOF, even though he has no business being in it.

Me too. Bettis will get in the HOF, even though he has no business being in it.

Why?

13 year career

8 1000 yard seasons

94 TDs

6 pro-bowls

2 all-pro

6th all time rushing yards

1993 Rookie of the year

1996 Comeback player of the year

2001 WP Man of the year

It would be cringe-worthy if Bettis didn't get into the HOF...most likely not this year tho

I fear Reed's time to finally get the nod into Canton may have passed..if it didn't happen between 2007-2010 I don't see it happening now..

I can't understand how Curtis Martin got in before Andre. :thumbdown:

I can't understand how Curtis Martin got in before Andre. :thumbdown:

Stats. 10 x 1000 yard seasons in a row.......4th most rushing yardage all time.

Too much emphasis on stats and not enough on the player's ability(impact).

Edited by Dibs

Stats. 10 x 1000 yard seasons in a row.......4th most rushing yardage all time.

Too much emphasis on stats and not enough on the player's ability(impact).

In the 16 game season era, the 1000 yard season = 62.5 yards/game........ <_< BFD

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

In the 16 game season era, the 1000 yard season = 62.5 yards/game........ <_< BFD

I agree......but his stats were obviously the reason he got in.

The whole stats thing is why I am doubtful that Reed will ever get in. As time goes on, the memory of just how good he was will progressively fade and the modern era WR stats will dwarf his. I hope I'm wrong though.

I agree......but his stats were obviously the reason he got in.

The whole stats thing is why I am doubtful that Reed will ever get in. As time goes on, the memory of just how good he was will progressively fade and the modern era WR stats will dwarf his. I hope I'm wrong though.

Can't argue any of your points. However, it's not fair to compare WR stats from Andre's era with those that came after with the benefit of rule changes that promoted the out of whack passing game statistics.

In any event. not any easy task for the HOF voters with many worthy candidates and so few getting in each year by rule.

@ProFootballHOF

Try your hand at being a HOF selector and make the cut from 25 semifinalists to 15 finalists: http://www.nfl.com/hofvote

#PFHOF14