The Run Game

5 Wide

Its only one week in, but the relative lack of success by the running game had me thinking....What potentially has changed since last year when the run game seemed to be able to consistently move the ball.

Levitre: Could 20% of the line really be key? Levitre and Glenn posted very good numbers when running left, could losing Levitre really paralyze the running game?

The Spread: The Bills ran out of the spread a lot last year. Was their success dictated by their formations? Is getting defenders out of the box by manipulating their formation necessary?

EJ vs Fitz: Does a rookie QB mean defenses are going to stack the box? Seems to me that Fitzpatrick did little to back defenses off the line with his lack of downfield throwing ability

I have a feeling its a bit of the first two. Replacing Levitre with an inferior player is certainly going to downgrade the run abilities, but I wonder if the spread really held the key to the success last year. There were a lot of bodies piled up around the LOS on Sunday and not a lot of room to maneuver. I hope there is a bit more creativity displayed against Carolina to try to create some space.

Its only one week in, but the relative lack of success by the running game had me thinking....What potentially has changed since last year when the run game seemed to be able to consistently move the ball.

Levitre: Could 20% of the line really be key? Levitre and Glenn posted very good numbers when running left, could losing Levitre really paralyze the running game?

The Spread: The Bills ran out of the spread a lot last year. Was their success dictated by their formations? Is getting defenders out of the box by manipulating their formation necessary?

EJ vs Fitz: Does a rookie QB mean defenses are going to stack the box? Seems to me that Fitzpatrick did little to back defenses off the line with his lack of downfield throwing ability

I have a feeling its a bit of the first two. Replacing Levitre with an inferior player is certainly going to downgrade the run abilities, but I wonder if the spread really held the key to the success last year. There were a lot of bodies piled up around the LOS on Sunday and not a lot of room to maneuver. I hope there is a bit more creativity displayed against Carolina to try to create some space.

If Levitre were a good run blocker, I'd agree more with #1.

#2 is a huge reason for Spiller's success. As it is for any back of his ability.

NE stacked the box a ton on Sunday but when EJ starts to make defenses pay for that, teams will back off eventually.

GO BILLS!!!

#2 is a huge reason for Spiller's success. As it is for any back of his ability.

NE stacked the box a ton on Sunday but when EJ starts to make defenses pay for that, teams will back off eventually.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly, it doesn't take a genius to realize that your defense should take away the opposing team's #1 weapon and make a rookie QB beat you.

This will be the defensive blueprint against the Bills, until it's proven ineffective.

Expect CJ to have a rough year.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly right. The Pats were clearly taking away the run and challenging EJ to beat them through the air. To me, that more than explains why the Bills had trouble running the ball on Sunday. And let's face it, C.J. wasn't exactly very decisive in his running on Sunday. Too much dancing behind the LOS and not enough hit the hole quickly and just run.

Exactly, it doesn't take a genius to realize that your defense should take away the opposing team's #1 weapon and make a rookie QB beat you.

This will be the defensive blueprint against the Bills, until it's proven ineffective.

I agree, However; I feel EJ will prove to be a threat sooner rather than later, and CJ will gain room to maneuver. I also think that between yesterday and today, the coaches will learn from their self scouting of week 1, that the play calling selection wasn't what it should have been. This game will show a lot about our coaching staff- are they stubborn and errogant or will they learn and tweak...

1. Give the ball to Fred more so CJ can rest and show 100% of his speed against a tiring defense.

2. EJ can't make line adjustments like Fitz could. This was one of his biggest strengths, and will come in time.

3. Run different plays. Screens, and such mean big gains when you have two rested RB's.

4. Stick with what works.

The Bills' 4.47 yard average for runs up-the-middle ranks 10th in NFL for all teams running in that spot after one week. We'll see how that shakes out, but I think it improves. We ran 10th after running vs Wilfork-Tommy Kelly et al. A couple teams above us don't deserve the higher ranking.

Also, I liked our goal-line stand:

pic.twitter.com/5Ll0HbmcdJ

Edited by Astrobot

The Bills need to add more play action passes and a flea flicker or two to burn defenses. CJ is a BIG lure to catch opposing safeties flat footed.

Edited by bisonbrigade

1. Give the ball to Fred more so CJ can rest and show 100% of his speed against a tiring defense.

2. EJ can't make line adjustments like Fitz could. This was one of his biggest strengths, and will come in time.

3. Run different plays. Screens, and such mean big gains when you have two rested RB's.

4. Stick with what works.

CJ was rested when he started the game. He fumbled right away and did not look ready for prime time. FJax looked like a professional running back and he didn't get tired. Why all of the concern about CJ getting tired? Is he that out of shape? Almost every screen I saw to CJ he was stood waiting for the ball. Every successful screen I saw in other games and with the Pats the RB was moving before he caught it and then turned it up. What works was FJ not CJ.

I'd like to see some sets where CJ hits the line with some momentum.

Yes - good point. That read option type run style, where the QB and RB meet and momentarily pause at the handoff was atrocious for CJ. Just look at Philly to see an example of how this SHOULD be done. The RB was usually coming in horizontally, like in a end around motion, and passes the QB with MOMENTUM. We did it more from behind the QB, where they both paused at the handoff, as if deciding whether or not to run, and frankly it looked clumsy and, for sure, CJ didn't hit the holes with any speed. The Bills have to adjust this way of handing off to CJ, or put him in an I Formation more, or some way to get momentum hitting the line.

Yes - good point. That read option type run style, where the QB and RB meet and momentarily pause at the handoff was atrocious for CJ. Just look at Philly to see an example of how this SHOULD be done. The RB was usually coming in horizontally, like in a end around motion, and passes the QB with MOMENTUM. We did it more from behind the QB, where they both paused at the handoff, as if deciding whether or not to run, and frankly it looked clumsy and, for sure, CJ didn't hit the holes with any speed. The Bills have to adjust this way of handing off to CJ, or put him in an I Formation more, or some way to get momentum hitting the line.

Philly also ran it from spread formations and they have a QB that can run like a fast RB. EJ, coming off injury especially, will never be perceived as the run threat that Vick is.

GO BILLS!!!

CJ was rested when he started the game. He fumbled right away and did not look ready for prime time. FJax looked like a professional running back and he didn't get tired. Why all of the concern about CJ getting tired? Is he that out of shape? Almost every screen I saw to CJ he was stood waiting for the ball. Every successful screen I saw in other games and with the Pats the RB was moving before he caught it and then turned it up. What works was FJ not CJ.

Because if you run the ball 15+ times, you're not as fast as you were when you started. He's not a conventional back, he can't explode for 40 yards every play. That's why he was effective and dominant last year. Because he was able to be the "homerun" guy after Freddy pounded them down. Chan was right the way he used him. The fans clamoring for Spiller being out there every play were wrong.

Kinda strange, but we're #4 in the league in rushing after week 1.

Unfortunately for us, the Pats* are #3.

Yeah, that's Miami down there at #32, with less than 1 yard per carry (23 att, 20 yards). Against Cleveland, there was a total of 67 yards rushing. By both teams.

Edited by Rubes

I don't think its as much about Andy Levitre as it is about the overall inability of that O line to open holes against a stacked box. They couldn't do it last season either with Levitre. The Bills were always throwing on 3rd and short and the running game worked because of their running out of the shotgun spread "passing" offense.

Pro Football Focus stated that the Patriots only blitzed 6 times out of 32 dropbacks. So Belicheat was more focused on stopping Spiller while allowing EJ time to throw. That scheme almost bite him in the arse as EJ played well and didn't make many mistakes. The Bills couldn't control the clock with 5 min left in the game. So they desperately need to get their ground game working. Even when opponents stack the box against them.

how about the NE defense being good against the run

Yea, the Patriots were keying on Spiller all day and they did a good job of stopping him.

The Bills did run a spread shotgun formation in the 3rd series on first down then handed off to CJ who ran for 8 yards. After that they went with FJax, dunno why.