1 sack for the D-line

Jerry Jabber

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't excuse it. WHEN IT HAPPENS.

Right now there's nothing to excuse!

Okay, I get it, last year the Bills gave up 52 and 37 points in the 2 games played with the Pats, so giving up 23 points is an improvement for the defense and a moral victory a lot of fans such as yourself. Whatever floats your boat.

Let's take a look at week 1 from last season: http://www.nfl.com/g...341&tab=analyze

So the Bills didn't sack Sanchez at all in that game, so 2 sacks on Brady would be considered an improvement. But, let's look at the other stats: Sanchez threw for 266 yards (Brady threw for 288), last year the Jets had 118 yards rushing while the Pats had 158 yards rushing...so that's an improvement huh?! The run defense still sucks!!! Did you see how many long runs the Pats had up the middle against the Bills yesterday, or were you watching the game? Brady has always played the dink and dunk game against the Bills and the Bills were still unable to stop Brady from doing that. Getting close to Brady and knocking him down after he threw the ball doesn't mean a damn thing if the Pats are completing passes, moving the chains and scoring points.

OK - so this whole thread is meant as a joke, right?

1. Did you really just compare the Jets offense to the Patriots??

2. For Brady, that was a pretty bad day statistically. He was under a lot of pressure and it showed.

Okay, I get it, last year the Bills gave up 52 and 37 points in the 2 games played with the Pats, so giving up 23 points is an improvement for the defense and a moral victory a lot of fans such as yourself. Whatever floats your boat.

The Bills OFFENSE scored 14 points. How many defenses in the NFL can hold the Pats* under 14??

The DEFENSE gave up 23 and scored 7, and as has been previously pointed out, both TD's they gave up were on very short fields off turnovers by the offense.

In other words, while the D wasn't perfect, they did way more than their share to win. If the offense had merely scored 17 points they would have won the game.

Edited by BobChalmers

You're hopeless. If you didn't see a noticeably better defense, if you didn't see a defense that--for once--looked like it belonged in the NFL, then you either weren't watching, or you don't know squat about football.

2. For Brady, that was a pretty bad day statistically. He was under a lot of pressure and it showed.

The Bills OFFENSE scored 14 points.

The DEFENSE gave up 23 and scored 7, and as has been previously pointed out, both TD's they gave up were on very short fields off turnovers by the offense.

In other words, while the D wasn't perfect, they did way more than their share to win.

If you would have read the post I responded to, you would have saw that a couple of people on here stated about how much better the Bills looked on Sunday, compared to Week 1 last year in 2012.

The Pats RB (Ridley?) gave the Bills a gift and fumbled the ball, no one touched him...how often does that happen? Said it before, and I'll say it again, it was a good, heads up play by Searcy to pick it up, avoid being touched by the RB (so he wasn't downed by contact) and took it in for a TD. Was there pressure on Brady that forced him into some bad throws...absolutely, there's no denying it, but how many of Brady's passes were dropped, that normally wouldn't have been, as well as the bad routes the Pats receivers made which caused a lot of incompletions?

Someone posted on article on here about how the Bills have the best D-line in the league. Well, with having the quote, unquote best D-line in the league, I thought they didn't get nowhere near the amount of pressure to shut down Brady as he still beat the Bills...again for the 21st time.

You're hopeless. If you didn't see a noticeably better defense, if you didn't see a defense that--for once--looked like it belonged in the NFL, then you either weren't watching, or you don't know squat about football.

I saw a Bills defense that hung with there with a Patriots offense that was a shell of it's old self.

The Pats had almost 38 minutes of TOP (37:43 to be exact). The defense did great given the circumstances.

This is what absolutely cannot continue to happen going forward. Any time you talk about a defense being on the field that long, you're in a situation where you're probably not going to win a football game, and in most cases are probably getting blow out. Looking at just the last couple of years, this team gave up an average of over 42 points a game to the Patriots. 23 points this weekend is not that bad against what will likely be again one of the top offenses in the NFL.

Luckily, the Panthers only have 1.

Yeah but other teams they'll face before Gilmore, Byrd, and Brooks return, have more. BTW, when did Brooks get hurt in the game?

This is what absolutely cannot continue to happen going forward. Any time you talk about a defense being on the field that long, you're in a situation where you're probably not going to win a football game, and in most cases are probably getting blow out. Looking at just the last couple of years, this team gave up an average of over 42 points a game to the Patriots. 23 points this weekend is not that bad against what will likely be again one of the top offenses in the NFL.

I agree. I think after taking the 4 point lead, they should have started huddling-up. Or at least varying huddle versus no-huddle.

Why even try to reason with some people? He wants to be miserable, let him be. My best advice is hope for the best and don't tailgate/ watch games with people like that. They suck.

Why even try to reason with some people? He wants to be miserable, let him be. My best advice is hope for the best and don't tailgate/ watch games with people like that. They suck.

Sorry Biscuit, my Bills kool aid ran out last year, and the effects have worn off. I have to see results in the form of wins. If the Bills go 8-8 or better this year, then I'll go restock my shelves with Bills kool-aid.

In regards to the defense this year, I think they will have success of getting pressure on the QB with teams that have average to below average O-lines. Teams that have above average to great O-lines, the Bills will have a hard time getting pressure on. Teams that have a great run game will continue to have great success against the Bills (especially up the middle of the field).

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Sorry Biscuit, my Bills kool aid ran out last year, and the effects have worn off. I have to see results in the form of wins. If the Bills go 8-8 or better this year, then I'll go restock my shelves with Bills kool-aid.

In regards to the defense this year, I think they will have success of getting pressure on the QB with teams that have average to below average O-lines. Teams that have above average to great O-lines, the Bills will have a hard time getting pressure on. Teams that have a great run game will continue to have great success against the Bills (especially up the middle of the field).

I get it but personally, just live in the moment. bottomline, they didn't win but the 3rd youngest team in the NFL had some good moments.

Obviously, we're jaded as Bills fans. But one of the best parts of a sports team is when you see them progress into something special. I was too young for the Kelly Bills but I've heard you got a sense it was coming before it actually did. Enjoy the ride and if sucks, you got all offseason to female dog about it.

This was my single biggest concern in the off-season and continues to be my single biggest concern after the game last weekend. 30 total carries for running backs and 162 yards on the ground. That MUST be concerning to anyone. To your point, it won't matter if the team gets good pressure on QB's. If this is what they do week to week, you're going to see a lot of teams simply running the ball, controlling the clock and wearing the Bills defense out. Next week, we'll have a better gauge. If DeAngelo Williams runs for 150 and 5+ YPC, then I will be concerned.

I get it but personally, just live in the moment. bottomline, they didn't win but the 3rd youngest team in the NFL had some good moments.

Obviously, we're jaded as Bills fans. But one of the best parts of a sports team is when you see them progress into something special. I was too young for the Kelly Bills but I've heard you got a sense it was coming before it actually did. Enjoy the ride and if sucks, you got all offseason to female dog about it.

I was a kid when Kelly played and you can tell he was going to be a very special player. Hopefully the Bills got it right with Manuel, because its been painful watching all the Bills QB's since Kelly retired.

This was my single biggest concern in the off-season and continues to be my single biggest concern after the game last weekend. 30 total carries for running backs and 162 yards on the ground. That MUST be concerning to anyone. To your point, it won't matter if the team gets good pressure on QB's. If this is what they do week to week, you're going to see a lot of teams simply running the ball, controlling the clock and wearing the Bills defense out. Next week, we'll have a better gauge. If DeAngelo Williams runs for 150 and 5+ YPC, then I will be concerned.

The preseason game against the Redskins and this past weekends game has given me some serious concerns (again) about our run defense.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Maybe, but you could say the same thing about Byrd and Gilmore.

Yeah but unfortunately Byrd and Glimore play in the BACKFIELD. How on God's green earth does this mean that the defensive line is not as bad as the OP suggests?

Jabber, I think the post mentioning you as the next Jerry Sullivan is quite a complement.

While I won't go quite that far, it is refreshing to see a more realistic point of view on this site. Opinions that aren't so clouded by rose colored fan vision.

There is absolutely no doubt that the defensive line completely underachieved during Sunday's game. Sure they looked a little better than last year's defense, and the schemes allowed more pressure on Brady than I've seen in a while.

But they just did not get it done when it counted, notably against the run- but especially during the Partiots last and game winning (unfortunately) drive. The players on this defensive line, if they truly lived up to their hype, billing, paycheck and draft class, SHOULD HAVE EATEN BRADY FOR FRIGGIN LUNCH ALL DAM DAY LONG and WON THE GAME by stopping them when we needed them to!

Edited by jethro_tull

The Bills OFFENSE scored 14 points. How many defenses in the NFL can hold the Pats* under 14??

In other words, while the D wasn't perfect, they did way more than their share to win. If the offense had merely scored 17 points they would have won the game.

+1 "well said"

Still no response to this post?

I did respond, just scroll through the pages (and even on this page) and you'll see that I responded, but apparently you're too lazy to do that (see posts #29 and #125). Besides that, are you seriously comparing the Jets offense to the Patriots offense?!

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I did respond, just scroll through the pages (and even on this page) and you'll see that I responded, but apparently you're too lazy to do that (see posts #29 and #125). Besides that, are you seriously comparing the Jets offense to the Patriots offense?!

You did not respond directly to the post I made, and you did not answer the question I left in that post.

Let's take a look at week 1 from last season: http://www.nfl.com/g...341&tab=analyze

So the Bills didn't sack Sanchez at all in that game, so 2 sacks on Brady would be considered an improvement. But, let's look at the other stats: Sanchez threw for 266 yards (Brady threw for 288), last year the Jets had 118 yards rushing while the Pats had 158 yards rushing...so that's an improvement huh?! The run defense still sucks!!! Did you see how many long runs the Pats had up the middle against the Bills yesterday, or were you watching the game? Brady has always played the dink and dunk game against the Bills and the Bills were still unable to stop Brady from doing that. Getting close to Brady and knocking him down after he threw the ball doesn't mean a damn thing if the Pats are completing passes, moving the chains and scoring points.

Here is post # 29. There is no mention of points scored in this post, what am I missing?

Here is post #125, but you did not write it.

And to answer your question, no I am not comparing the Jets offense to the Patriots offense.

You brought up week 1 from last year, giving all the defensive stats compared to week 1 from this year. Yet you left out a key stat: Points against.

To which I asked you if the points against from last year(42) to the points against from this year(23) did not show any improvement to you or not.

Edited by Mark Vader