1 sack for the D-line

Jerry Jabber

So, in response to me telling you not to argue history when presented with a new set of information, you post more history?

And so what? The Pats* made mistakes. Unless the offense plays flawlessly, our defense deserves zero credit?

Point is, Belichek and Brady are very smart and do very well at adjusting and making the right changes (pains me to say that), as the stats show. I'll give the defense some credit, I saw improvements in some areas, but weaknesses in other areas still. The game was there for the taking and the Bills blew it. Both the offense and defense should share the blame for the loss. There are no moral victories for getting close or doing well against a tough opponent in professional sports.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This and the thread about holding lead me to an idea. Wouldn't a team be better off with with big, powerful defensive lineman who can really push the pocket than quick, penetrating types? Holding makes less of a difference with these guys and most teams get their speed rush from blitzes these days anyway. Imagine a DL with 2 Vince Wilforks in the middle. Would be very tough to deal with IMO.

This and the thread about holding lead me to an idea. Wouldn't a team be better off with with big, powerful defensive lineman who can really push the pocket than quick, penetrating types? Holding makes less of a difference with these guys and most teams get their speed rush from blitzes these days anyway. Imagine a DL with 2 Vince Wilforks in the middle. Would be very tough to deal with IMO.

Reminds me of when we had Ted Washington & Pat Williams (and Sam Adams & Pat Williams). Dareus has been a disappointment so far.

If the Bills defense can keep the team in the game throughout the season, then I will change my opinion of them. But, if they get blown out in a few games, like they did last season by the Jets, Pats & Seahawks (meaning giving up over 40 and 50 points in a game) then we know my criticism of them was valid.

Just wondering if you find yourself watching sports by yourself...

Friend A: Yeah!! Mickelson just eagled #15 to take a 2-stroke lead!

Jerry: Well......he would probably be in third place if Tiger hadn't hit that ball OB on #9. So it doesn't really count.

Friend B: The Sox (or Yanks, etc) just tied the game in the bottom of the 9th!

Jerry: It doesn't matter because they never win in extra innings.

Friend C: Hey the Bills looked pretty solid in the last couple series!

Jerry: ehhh, i think the Pats would have scored on every play if Hernandez was playing, Wanny was still our D-coordinator, it were cloudy instead of sunny, and we had drafted Geno instead of EJ. I'm sure they'll stink it up on the next series.

Jerry: Well......he would probably be in third place if Tiger hadn't hit that ball OB on #9. So it doesn't really count.

Jerry: ehhh, i think the Pats would have scored on every play if Hernandez was playing, Wanny was still our D-coordinator, it were cloudy instead of sunny, and we had drafted Geno instead of EJ. I'm sure they'll stink it up on the next series.

+1

Keep drinking the kool-aid...Russ & Ralph are counting on you... :thumbsup:

Chuck Schick: "Did you see we almost beat the Patriots?! That was so freakin' awesome man!! We'll get them next time for sure!!"

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Here's what I found in an ESPN article today:

Hard to top this group. The Detroit Lions (with Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley, Jason Jones, and Ziggy Ansah) come close, but the combination of Williams, Williams and Dareus is the best in the NFL. When healthy and clicking, Mario Williams is a premier pass-rusher with excellent athleticism for his size (6-foot-6, 292 pounds). Dareus (331 pounds), Kyle Williams (301 pounds) and Branch (325 pounds) are stout across the middle. At 6-foot-5, Carrington has ideal length for the position, which has also shown up on special teams (three blocked field goals last season).

Here's what I found in an ESPN article today:

Hard to top this group. The Detroit Lions (with Ndamukong Suh, Nick Fairley, Jason Jones, and Ziggy Ansah) come close, but the combination of Williams, Williams and Dareus is the best in the NFL. When healthy and clicking, Mario Williams is a premier pass-rusher with excellent athleticism for his size (6-foot-6, 292 pounds). Dareus (331 pounds), Kyle Williams (301 pounds) and Branch (325 pounds) are stout across the middle. At 6-foot-5, Carrington has ideal length for the position, which has also shown up on special teams (three blocked field goals last season).

On paper our defense looks good, but too bad the game isn't played on paper. Here's what I found:

26th in game stats (431 yards): http://www.nfl.com/s...=1&d-447263-n=1

30th against the rush (158 yards)

And, the most important stat (and the only one that really matters): 0-1 and 4th in the AFC East: http://www.nfl.com/standings

Edited by Jerry Jabber

I get your point, but when you lose a game, you didn't do "great."

OMG, dude. GIVE IT THE !@#$ UP!

It's not 2012 anymore. The defense didn't cost us the !@#$ing game. They did practically everything within their mortal power to keep us in it...AND WE WERE! In fact we were !@#$ing winning until :06 to go!

You can definitely do great and your team lose a game. The offense failed to score any points in the 4th quarter, or even take time off the clock. The loss belongs squarely on them.

So acording to your logic the team could lose 7-0 on an interception (pick 6) thrown from our QB and you would not say our defense played great even though they shut the team out. A defense can be great and still lose. It happens every week by teams.

You can definitely do great and your team lose a game. The offense failed to score any points in the 4th quarter, or even take time off the clock. The loss belongs squarely on them.

Both the offense and defense can share the blame. You win as a team and lose as a team. Sure the offense could have done more to score points, but, both the offense and defense had way too many penalties as well. There were 10 penalties for 75 yards, some of which gave NE another chance on offense (in which the Bills would have had a stop on 3rd down) or the first down...that is not my definition of playing "great."

IMO, these stats show the defense did not do "great":

"26th in game stats (431 yards): http://www.nfl.com/s...=1&d-447263-n=1

And, the most important stat (and the only one that really matters): 0-1 and 4th in the AFC East: http://www.nfl.com/standings "

So acording to your logic the team could lose 7-0 on an interception (pick 6) thrown from our QB and you would not say our defense played great even though they shut the team out. A defense can be great and still lose. It happens every week by teams.

IMO, these stats show the defense did not do "great":

"26th in game stats (431 yards): http://www.nfl.com/s...=1&d-447263-n=1

And, the most important stat (and the only one that really matters): 0-1 and 4th in the AFC East: http://www.nfl.com/standings "

OMG, dude. GIVE IT THE !@#$ UP!

It's not 2012 anymore. The defense didn't cost us the !@#$ing game. They did practically everything within their mortal power to keep us in it...AND WE WERE! In fact we were !@#$ing winning until :06 to go!

The Bills blew it on both sides of the ball...period. IMO, this defense is still suspect.

I didn't get the Monday night game totals but as of Monday morning the Bills defensively were on the field by a far more than any other team in the league. This is directly related to our offense not being able to sustain drives. The time of possession was absurd for the Patriots. This is the reason we had the stats Jabber pointed out:

-26th in game stats (431 yards): http://www.nfl.com/s...=1&d-447263-n=1

-30th against the rush (158 yards

*But anyone who watched the game and knows a little bit about football could tell you that our defense hit hard, stopped the run until late when they were exhausted, had tight coverage on almost all of Brady's 52 pass attempts, banged Brady up repeatedly, and even scored 7 points. I was in a Bills Bar in Charlotte and it was packed with former Buffalonians and everyone was hyped about how they couldn't believe a Buffalo defensive team was just dominating the Pats offensive line. We were high fiving in amasement because it has been forever since we have seen a defense play so aggressively and just dominate physically. If you are not excited about our defense then I really feel bad for you because not much will make you happy. Like you, I am ticked off that we lost and winning and losing is the bottom line, not effort. But if I was the head coach Mike Pettine would get a pat on the back Monday morning and a big thank you for great execution of a game plan. Then I would walk in to the offensive room and tell Hacket things better get a lot better because if you can't move the ball, eat up some clock, capitalize on 3rd downs, and put points on the board your not going to win many games. Then I would add that the turnovers in our red zone and the penalties were inexcusable. Finally I would say when you have a hot back "Jackson" and you have a back "Spiller" who crapped the bed rushing the ball "give the ball to Jackson and stop trying to make Spiller throw up". Then I would kick myself in the butt because as the head coach it all falls on you.