1 sack for the D-line

Jerry Jabber

I did respond, just scroll through the pages (and even on this page) and you'll see that I responded, but apparently you're too lazy to do that (see posts #29 and #125). Besides that, are you seriously comparing the Jets offense to the Patriots offense?!

Oh man, you have gotten yourself and everybody else so confounded in this thread....he ISN'T comparing the Jets O to the NE O....his point was that our crappy D gave up 42 pts to a crappy Jets O on opening day 2012 and just 23 points to a strong Pats O this year. That would seem to indicate some degree of improvement. ???

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You did not respond directly to the post I made, and you did not answer the question I left in that post.

Here is post # 29. There is no mention of points scored in this post, what am I missing?

Here is post #125, but you did not write it.

So, I did not directly respond to you, I'm so very sorry (sarcasm!) Someone else mentioned week 1 from last year, so I responded to that. In post #125, Bob Chalmers replied from post #29. I can't answer your question because you are comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing the 2012 Jets to the 2013 Patriots. So, you basically saying Mark Sanchez last year was comparable to Tom Brady this year, and the 2012 Jets are comparable to the 2013 Patriots. Just because the Bills played the Jets in Week 1 last year doesn't mean you can use them as a measuring stick to go off of for week 1 this year.

Oh man, you have gotten yourself and everybody else so confounded in this thread....he ISN'T comparing the Jets O to the NE O....his point was that our crappy D gave up 42 pts to a crappy Jets O on opening day 2012 and just 23 points to a strong Pats O this year. That would seem to indicate some degree of improvement. ???

See the post I just responded to. Strong Pats O?! Maybe last year, but not this year!

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Let's take a look at week 1 from last season: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012090902/2012/REG1/bills@jets#menu=highlights|contentId:0ap1000000060341&tab=analyze

So the Bills didn't sack Sanchez at all in that game, so 2 sacks on Brady would be considered an improvement. But, let's look at the other stats: Sanchez threw for 266 yards (Brady threw for 288), last year the Jets had 118 yards rushing while the Pats had 158 yards rushing...so that's an improvement huh?! The run defense still sucks!!! Did you see how many long runs the Pats had up the middle against the Bills yesterday, or were you watching the game? Brady has always played the dink and dunk game against the Bills and the Bills were still unable to stop Brady from doing that. Getting close to Brady and knocking him down after he threw the ball doesn't mean a damn thing if the Pats are completing passes, moving the chains and scoring points.

Be as obtuse as you'd like, the fact of the matter is the only two touchdowns NE* scored were courtesy of two fumbles in the red zone that they had to gain 35 yards for, tops. The other 400 yards netted them 9 points. Kinda deflates your defense sucks, same as last year's Jets game argument. But, I assume, you knew that before you posted this.

Be as obtuse as you'd like, the fact of the matter is the only two touchdowns NE* scored were courtesy of two fumbles in the red zone that they had to gain 35 yards for, tops. The other 400 yards netted them 9 points. Kinda deflates your defense sucks, same as last year's Jets game argument. But, I assume, you knew that before you posted this.

Final score is the only thing that matters, and the Bills defense got lucky the Pats receivers dropped a lot of passes, otherwise the game wouldn't have been close. If the Pats destroy the Bills in their second matchup, I definitely plan on bringing up this thread again just so I can rub it in and tell everyone "I told you so." If the Bills by some chance beat the Pats, and the Bills defense plays lights out, then I will eat a big bowl of crow...fair enough?!

And the Jets comparison was in response to a couple of posters that kept comparing Sundays game to last years season opener, which I've already stated a few times already.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Were there improvements from last year...of course. Wannstedt ran a defense that was 20 years old and had no answers when it didn't work, but the Bills defense still has a lot of holes.

So give us your answers Obi Wan your our only hope.

What should we have done, or do... oh great and powerful Oz?

His first post says it all... Talking about sacks but thinking those are QB Pressures, rookie mistake. QB pressures is when a QB is forced to throw the ball before he wants to, keeping him from being able to step up in the pocket. The Bills did plenty of that.

This is supposedly the best D-line in the league, and the D-line still didn't get the job done. Brady still threw for 270 yards, 2 TDs and brought the Pats in FG position to win the game. It's okay though, be happy with your moral victory :thumbsup:

So give us your answers Obi Wan your our only hope.

What should we have done, or do... oh great and powerful Oz?

First, stay away from the dark side of the force.

Second, carry water, lots of water...witches hate water!

I'm thinking this HAS to be some sort of social experiment. Jerry Jabber is actually 4 or 5 guys with clip boards, administering a form of online shock treatment to all of us.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is supposedly the best D-line in the league, and the D-line still didn't get the job done. Brady still threw for 270 yards, 2 TDs and brought the Pats in FG position to win the game. It's okay though, be happy with your moral victory :thumbsup:

Sorry man but no coming back from your mistake. At least admit you have no idea what you're talking about. Brady got hit more then you will probably see any game this year. He doesn't get hit often but got knocked around. Even with the offense not producing they kept the Pats to 23 points. You look at the wrong stats with defenses.

You are a very stubborn person though so who really cares when you can't "understand".

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

So, I did not directly respond to you, I'm so very sorry (sarcasm!) Someone else mentioned week 1 from last year, so I responded to that. In post #125, Bob Chalmers replied from post #29. I can't answer your question because you are comparing apples to oranges. You are comparing the 2012 Jets to the 2013 Patriots. So, you basically saying Mark Sanchez last year was comparable to Tom Brady this year, and the 2012 Jets are comparable to the 2013 Patriots. Just because the Bills played the Jets in Week 1 last year doesn't mean you can use them as a measuring stick to go off of for week 1 this year.

Get this straight, you are the one who brought up last years game against the Jets in week 1, not me. You don't believe me?

Reread your own post:

Let's take a look at week 1 from last season: http://www.nfl.com/g...341&tab=analyze

So the Bills didn't sack Sanchez at all in that game, so 2 sacks on Brady would be considered an improvement. But, let's look at the other stats: Sanchez threw for 266 yards (Brady threw for 288), last year the Jets had 118 yards rushing while the Pats had 158 yards rushing...so that's an improvement huh?! The run defense still sucks!!! Did you see how many long runs the Pats had up the middle against the Bills yesterday, or were you watching the game? Brady has always played the dink and dunk game against the Bills and the Bills were still unable to stop Brady from doing that. Getting close to Brady and knocking him down after he threw the ball doesn't mean a damn thing if the Pats are completing passes, moving the chains and scoring points.

If anyone is comparing the Jets to the Patriots, it's you.

If you don't want to answer my initial question, which you never did, and instead sent me to a post that you did not write, fine, be that way.

Edited by Mark Vader

Get this straight, you are the one who brought up last years game against the Jets in week 1, not me. You don't believe me?

Reread your own post:

If anyone is comparing the Jets to the Patriots, it's you.

If you don't want to answer my initial question, which you never did, and instead sent me to a post that you did not write, fine, be that way.

In post #28, Big Cat mentioned week one.

Point for point, spot on.

Also, !@#$ing consider how terrible the defense was last year. Think about week one last year. It's bonkers to say yesterday wasn't a significant improvement.

Then, you compared the amount of points the 2012 Jets (42 (actually, it was 48)) scored to the 2013 Patriots, that's a bad comparison. So using that logic, you are comparing the teams the Bills played in each week of last year? Using your logic, the Bills played the Chiefs in Week 2 last year and won 35, 17. Continuing with your logic, If the Bills do worse against Carolina, then does mean the team has regressed? http://www.nfl.com/schedules/2012/REG/Bills

You made a bad comparison which cannot be answered. A better comparison would have been the two games played against the Pats last year, which that in itself is hard to do because of the transition the Pats went through (Welker gone, Gronk hurt, the Hernandez situation, new players, injuries (which can be said about the Bills as well), etc...) I still think the Pats are going to win the AFC East, but they are not the powerhouse that they were last year.

Did the Bills get more pressure than usual on Brady this past Sunday...absolutely! When you consider how pathetic the Bills pass rush has been over the past 10 years, the Bills defense did look great compared to that. But, with all of the investments the team made to bolster the D-line and shut down the opposing offense, they fell short as Brady was still able to complete 29 passes for 288 yards, and the Pats won again.

I think the best way to look at the 1 sack from the defensive line is like this. We have heard people try and make the comparison to the Giants defensive line with all the names, and money the Bills have spent. That Giants line sacked Brady 5 times in their first Superbowl and with a little different line sacked him 3 times in the 2012 superbowl. According the articel I read "Tom Brady was under duress or sacked on 14 of 43 dropbacks Sunday, including half of his dropbacks in the fourth quarter, and five times on the final drive." I agree with what I think Jerry is getting at in that the Bills have spent a lot of money on the defensive line and it would be nice to see a performance like that out of that line. Particularly when they play New England.

Edited by Chimp

I think the best way to look at the 1 sack from the defensive line is like this. We have heard people try and make the comparison to the Giants defensive line with all the names, and money the Bills have spent. That Giants line sacked Brady 5 times in their first Superbowl and with a little different line sacked him 3 times in the 2012 superbowl. According the articel I read "Tom Brady was under duress or sacked on 14 of 43 dropbacks Sunday, including half of his dropbacks in the fourth quarter, and five times on the final drive." I agree with what I think Jerry is getting at in that the Bills have spent a lot of money on the defensive line and it would be nice to see a performance like that out of that line. Particularly when they play New England.

Thank you Chimp!! That wrapped up all my points on this thread!

I'm thinking this HAS to be some sort of social experiment. Jerry Jabber is actually 4 or 5 guys with clip boards, administering a form of online shock treatment to all of us.

It would only be shocking if he actually made a valid argument... He didn't, he actually doesn't even know what QB pressure is which should have red flagged this thread immediately.

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

In post #28, Big Cat mentioned week one.

Then, you compared the amount of points the 2012 Jets (42 (actually, it was 48)) scored to the 2013 Patriots, that's a bad comparison. So using that logic, you are comparing the teams the Bills played in each week of last year? Using your logic, the Bills played the Chiefs in Week 2 last year and won 35, 17. Continuing with your logic, If the Bills do worse against Carolina, then does mean the team has regressed? http://www.nfl.com/s.../2012/REG/Bills

You made a bad comparison which cannot be answered. A better comparison would have been the two games played against the Pats last year, which that in itself is hard to do because of the transition the Pats went through (Welker gone, Gronk hurt, the Hernandez situation, new players, injuries (which can be said about the Bills as well), etc...) I still think the Pats are going to win the AFC East, but they are not the powerhouse that they were last year.

Did the Bills get more pressure than usual on Brady this past Sunday...absolutely! When you consider how pathetic the Bills pass rush has been over the past 10 years, the Bills defense did look great compared to that. But, with all of the investments the team made to bolster the D-line and shut down the opposing offense, they fell short as Brady was still able to complete 29 passes for 288 yards, and the Pats won again.

no, bro. I MADE THE !@#$ING COMPARISON BY WATCHING THE !@#$ING TEAM PLAY.

Pressure is great if it results in turnovers. If you aren't getting turnovers out of the pressure then I would much prefer a sack. Too many times teams are able to pressure Brady only to lose the game. That said, against Brady I prefer sacks as he tends to still beat us even when he is knocked around all game. I do think there is a valid point to be made ragarding the pressure he received as a result of his receivers being confused or rookies.

I think an identical game against Newton this weekend will result in multiple picks if the DBs are in position.