Punter

jumbalaya

Seriously??? Your complaining about the PUNTER??? That is a bit down the list of things to fix don't ya think? Whats next bring back Ryan Lindell?

Why does it have to be high on the "things to fix list" to be concerned about it? We need corners so don't worry about the punter? As it stands alone the punter is an extremely important position. You don't think it's important to punt short kicks inside the 10 vs touch backs? Seriously?

Edited by Triple Threat

Moorman has now been released by two different teams since leaving the Bills.

But, but, but, he's the greatest Bill of the past decade!

Powell could make the pro bowl and people here would still not like him. He's been the starter for what, ten games?

But, but, but, he's the greatest Bill of the past decade!

Powell could make the pro bowl and people here would still not like him. He's been the starter for what, ten games?

I respect and value all your opinions and comments, but I just have to ask; do you think Powell is a good punter? I know he hasn't been the starter that long, but have you seen this big leg of his everyone was talking about? I'm not gonna say I don't like him, but I've been far from impressed from what I've seen from him. And I don't think punter is really a position that you have to spend alot of time getting acclimated to, or "get up to speed", so I would fully expect he come in and immediately be, "who we thought he was".

I haven't watched every single one of his punts, and maybe I need to go back and look at some, but I have yet to see him just boom the stuffing out of the ball on a punt, and like JR in Pittsburgh was saying, I also have yet to see him plant one inside the 5 or 10 even.

Maybe it's like some of the posters are saying, since he's the holder, they don't want to rock the boat with Hopkins...

Just my opinion....

Edited by smuvtalker

I respect and value all your opinions and comments, but I just have to ask; do you think Powell is a good punter? I know he hasn't been the starter that long, but have you seen this big leg of his everyone was talking about? I'm not gonna say I don't like him, but I've been far from impressed from what I've seen from him. And I don't think punter is really a position that you have to spend alot of time getting acclimated to, or "get up to speed", so I would fully expect he come in and immediately be, "who we thought he was".

I haven't watched every single one of his punts, and maybe I need to go back and look at some, but I have yet to see him just boom the stuffing out of the ball on a punt, and like JR in Pittsburgh was saying, I also have yet to see him plant one inside the 5 or 10 even.

Maybe it's like some of the posters are saying, since he's the holder, they don't want to rock the boat with Hopkins...

Just my opinion....

I agree completely. Putting aside my "feelings" for Moorman, Powell still hasn't impressed, at least not as all of us were expecting. With other young proven punters out there like Kluwe and Mensko, I would be tempted to make a move.

Why does it have to be high on the "things to fix list" to be concerned about it? We need corners so don't worry about the punter? As it stands alone the punter is an extremely important position. You don't think it's important to punt short kicks inside the 10 vs touch backs? Seriously?

We should be able to walk and chew gum at the same time. As this is another rebuilding year and there are upgardes available at any position, you go for it.

Powell was punting pretty well until they cut his competition. Then it seems like he lost concentration or something. I don't think they'll replace Powell at this stage. If he stinks it up this year then they'll find someone else. You can pick up a decent punter anytime.

Powell was punting pretty well until they cut his competition. Then it seems like he lost concentration or something. I don't think they'll replace Powell at this stage. If he stinks it up this year then they'll find someone else. You can pick up a decent punter anytime.

I agree with most of this, but am unsure about the last sentence.

If I thought the placekick holding was important to my kicker, I'd keep Powell, but on a short leash. Then, if he stinks it up, I'd bring in Kluwe or Zoltan Mesko. I think the whole young team would benefit from the reminder they are replaceable, and their performance and hard work is the only thing keeping them here.

If the place-holding is not a big deal, I'd make the move now. I just don't understand what has happened to Powell. What I've been seeing so far is not acceptable.

Either way, I'd have Hopkins start practicing with Tuel, Fred Jackson, or someone else, holding.

Just my opinion....

Thank you for recognizing the sarcasm -- I still find the Moorman lovefest/outrage that went with his release a little hard to understand. Yes he was a good punter but 1) he was a punter and 2) he's clearly on the decline.

As for Powell, I understand having a certain lack of patience with missed punts, but I'm willing to cut him some slack for a less-than-stellar 2012 since he was a rookie (and I'm not all that concerned with pre-season). From what I saw last year there's enough talent and performance to feel confident in his abilities and prospects for improvement. If you look at his stats, he was in the bottom half of the league, but so were Mesko, Kluwe and Moorman (they were all pretty comparable). So for people to seriously suggest cutting a young player for an older one who is no better (especially a week before the season) is crazytalk IMO.

Let's at least let the guy get a full year under his belt before we bring out the torches and pitchforks.

Thank you for recognizing the sarcasm -- I still find the Moorman lovefest/outrage that went with his release a little hard to understand. Yes he was a good punter but 1) he was a punter and 2) he's clearly on the decline.

As for Powell, I understand having a certain lack of patience with missed punts, but I'm willing to cut him some slack for a less-than-stellar 2012 since he was a rookie (and I'm not all that concerned with pre-season). From what I saw last year there's enough talent and performance to feel confident in his abilities and prospects for improvement. If you look at his stats, he was in the bottom half of the league, but so were Mesko, Kluwe and Moorman (they were all pretty comparable). So for people to seriously suggest cutting a young player for an older one who is no better (especially a week before the season) is crazytalk IMO.

Let's at least let the guy get a full year under his belt before we bring out the torches and pitchforks.

Very hard to disagree there. Let's hope he develops a little better this year.