So Byrd is hurt too

Jdragon2

can you name just one Franchised tagged player who ran afoul of his teammates and/or eventually didn't get his huge payday ?

Can you name one franchise tagged player that faked an injury and dogged it on the field and still maintained the respect of his teammates?

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you name one franchise tagged player that faked an injury and dogged it on the field and still maintained the respect of his teammates?

GO BILLS!!!

so we will start with NO you can't name one player.

then I will concede that I have no way of knowing who is faking.

therefore, any injury, real or faked, will be considered real and have no effect on the player eventually cashing in.

so we will start with NO you can't name one player.

then I will concede that I have no way of knowing who is faking.

therefore, any injury, real or faked, will be considered real and have no effect on the player eventually cashing in.

We've come full circle. Right back to the nonsense previously cited.

If you really think that it's just fine and dandy for his teammates that Byrd fakes an injury and dogs it on the field and that none of them will hold that against him because they are all united against big bad management that tried to screw one of their own, then what can I say? That just seems very naive of the dynamics at play on the field and in the locker room.

We'll just agree to disagree moving forward. That will spare both of us a ton of nonsense.

GO BILLS!!!

nonsense, the players are 100% in his corner. from the players perspective, he got screwed over by the bills by playing on a one year deal.

I get what you're saying...But if this is truly the case don't you think these tag designations would be much bigger bargaining chips when the CBA is being negotiated?...I think agents absolutely despise the franchise tag...I think the evidence supports players, and the players union, not really caring much about it in the end...Because if it was such a big deal they would pull harder for it to be eliminated...Instead...Holdouts and hard feelings like we have now with Byrd are clearly the exception to the rule...Considering the fact that 29 players have been tagged in the past two offseasons...And of those 29 only Byrd and Dwayne Bowe have held out at all...Most players nowadays sign their tag early if they don't negotiate a fair long-term deal...

So...I'm not saying I know because I don't...But I question whether or not most players are squarely in Byrd's corner and siding with his line of thinking...Or...Are most players like Woody who are happy to take what seems to be very fair in order to stay with their teammates and a city that has backed them from the get-go... B-)

We've come full circle. Right back to the nonsense previously cited.

If you really think that it's just fine and dandy for his teammates that Byrd fakes an injury and dogs it on the field and that none of them will hold that against him because they are all united against big bad management that tried to screw one of their own, then what can I say? That just seems very naive of the dynamics at play on the field and in the locker room.

We'll just agree to disagree moving forward. That will spare both of us a ton of nonsense.

GO BILLS!!!

that behavior you abhor (faking injury) is just to easy to get away with. Tyrd will say his injury is real and I doubt any of his fellow players will question him or ask for proof. Tyrd says something just ain't right with his foot and his fellow players won't question it. of course he isn't going to flaunt the fact that if he had a long term contract, he would play through what ever was nagging him.

let's take a recent example for the Bills. last year, prior to the bye week, Mario Williams repeatedly and often complained/mentioned to the press about his wrist bothering him. Yet the bills never included him on their injury report. in fact they were saying it was all in his head. got to the point where the NFL started an investigation of the Bills and their reporting of injuries. Mario went and had a second opinion away from buffalo. had surgery during the bye week and started playing better immediately after.

during that whole episode , not one player called Mario out. even though the Bills, including his head coach, publicly suggested he wasn't really injured.

I get what you're saying...But if this is truly the case don't you think these tag designations would be much bigger bargaining chips when the CBA is being negotiated?...I think agents absolutely despise the franchise tag...I think the evidence supports players, and the players union, not really caring much about it in the end...Because if it was such a big deal they would pull harder for it to be eliminated...Instead...Holdouts and hard feelings like we have now with Byrd are clearly the exception to the rule...Considering the fact that 29 players have been tagged in the past two offseasons...And of those 29 only Byrd and Dwayne Bowe have held out at all...Most players nowadays sign their tag early if they don't negotiate a fair long-term deal...

So...I'm not saying I know because I don't...But I question whether or not most players are squarely in Byrd's corner and siding with his line of thinking...Or...Are most players like Woody who are happy to take what seems to be very fair in order to stay with their teammates and a city that has backed them from the get-go... B-)

oh, but it is a huge bargaining chip.

for the owners, it is a deal breaker. no way they give the Franchise tag up.

for the players, they put up with it because it almost always works out for the players advantage. but to protect themselves, for cases like Byrd they try to make it penal for a team to franchise the same player more than once. 2nd year 120% increase over previous year. 3rd year 144% increase over previous year OR the average of the top 5 highest paid QUARTERBACKS, which ever is more (which a team would never pay for a safety).

and Dwayne Bowe eventually signed with his original team KC.

Dwayne Bowe eventually signed with his original team KC.

I know...Not sure if that furthers the point of the lack of tagged holdouts or not...

Bowe signed for about $850K annually more than the 2013 franchise tag salary for WR's...

The rumors are that the Bills offered Byrd about $500K more annualy than the 2013 Safety tag amount...

I'm guessing if Byrd's agent came back with a counter of 5 years, $39 million, and somewhere around $20 mil guaranteed he would be signed already and all this would be moot...Maybe I'm wrong...But I think that's a very fair deal for both sides... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

nonsense, the players are 100% in his corner. from the players perspective, he got screwed over by the bills by playing on a one year deal. in private, they are encouraging him to NOT risk his career by playing through an injury. the only thing 90% of these guys care about is getting paid. ...

You may be right, in that Byrd (and the players) think he got "screwed", but I just don't see it. The Franchise Tag was not agreed upon once by the NFLPA, but within 2 NFLPA-sanctioned CBAs. It's part of the game. He's getting no more screwed than dropping a would-be interception during garbage time. Not only that, he's getting "screwed" 7 million times over the span of 8 months of "work". As for being denied long term security, Byrd made that decision, not the Bills.

You may be right, in that Byrd (and the players) think he got "screwed", but I just don't see it. The Franchise Tag was not agreed upon once by the NFLPA, but within 2 NFLPA-sanctioned CBAs. It's part of the game. He's getting no more screwed than dropping a would-be interception during garbage time. Not only that, he's getting "screwed" 7 million times over the span of 8 months of "work". As for being denied long term security, Byrd made that decision, not the Bills.

how the player feels screwed by the franchise tag:

#1- they are denied UFA (unrestricted Free Agency) which is what they covet most. the chance to pick and choose from the highest bidders and best franchises where ENDORSEMENT income potential is higher than buffalo. Byrd is probably saying, why didn't they tag Levitre and let me free.

#2- he didn't get the security of a long term deal and all the GUARANTEED money that comes with it. Byrd assumes a lot of risk on a one year deal in violent game with lots of injuries.

#3- because Byrd is a safety, his first year tag number is so low that he is a bargain, it's virtually certain he will be tagged a second time and have to go through it all over again in 2014, he is trapped. he has no way out.

#4- although the tag compensates handsomely, in Byrd's case of $6.9 mil, he still feels underpaid.

It still amazes me that the NFLPA would ever approve the tag. But then again, 99% of the NFL players would never be tagged anyway so maybe that's why it passed. But make no mistake, players that get tagged get royally !@#$ed over. And Byrd could very will get !@#$ed twice.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Players will hate it, but tagging them twice makes good business sense:

The average fan scratches his head in amazement when he hears a NFL player complain about a franchise tag, especially when they hear it's worth millions of dollars and guaranteed if the player signs the franchise tender.

Look at the contract averages of the highest-paid safeties in the league right now, and appreciate what a bargain safeties really are and why it's good business for the clubs and frustrating for the players.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/17607706/players-will-hate-it-but-tagging-them-twice-makes-good-business-sense

If safeties are unhappy with their lot in life, they should become QBs, DEs, LTs, DTs, WRs, CBs, or LBs, instead.

Or do their best Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, or Polamalu impersonation.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9