EJ Manuel's odds to start: Running thread

I've read a few articles today, trying to get a handle on when EJ is coming back. In one article, coach Marrone was quoted as saying that EJ would need to play in about 3 out 5 practices before New England for coach to feel comfortable starting him.

The Buffalo Bills will hold five full practices between now and their season opener Sept. 8 against the New England Patriots.

For rookie quarterback EJ Manuel to start in that game, it’s likely he’ll need to participate fully in a minimum of three of those.

On Tuesday, coach Doug Marrone mapped out a realistic timetable that would give Manuel a chance of being under center in Week One.

“I think there’s two things that you look at: A. The number of times he needs to go play, and then B. The number of days for that preparation,” Marrone said. “If the doctor said ‘you’re not going to get him on that field until Thursday and then he’ll be ready to play on Sunday,’ I would be concerned about doing that. If they said, ‘we can get him on that field Monday or Wednesday.’ I would see how he played and then make the decision.”

So, if there are 5 practices left between now and New England, does anyone have any idea when those practices are?

Also (obviously), on days when there IS a practice, there is generally a lot more news that we can sink our teeth into regarding EJ's health, progress, and odds to start.

So, with that being said, here are the days between now and the opener, filled in with what we know will be the Bills schedule (edited to be updated as information becomes available):

Saturday, August 31: Off day--no practice, no news. Roster cutdowns are finalized, so perhaps a presser from Marron.

Sunday, September 1: Practice 1 of 5.

Monday, September 2: Practice 2 of 5.

Tuesday, September 3: Off day--no practice, no news.

Wednesday, September 4: Practice 3 of 5. (If EJ has not practiced before this date in time, and does not practice on this date, according to what Marrone has said, he will not start.)

Thursday, September 5: Practice 4 of 5.

Friday, September 6: Practice 5 of 5.

Saturday, September 7: Final walk-through before Patriots game.

Sunday, September 8: Opening weekend: New England Patriots at Buffalo Bills, 1pm.

Edited by JohnnyGold

Yeah, he said he would like to see EJ back Monday or Wednesday at the latest.

Yeah---and I think knowing their practice schedule between now and the Patriots game will also help some of our (mine for sure) sanity in knowing which days to obsessively check the news to see if there are any comments from the coaching staff, and on what days, like today, would be better spent golfing...

100% he starts. No doubt in my mind

i tend to agree--i dont think any ground breaking news will be realized here. but for me, it will be nice to have a rough time frame in my mind for when to expect news, and when not to expect news. for instance, are the bills practicing this saturday (on the day after roster cutdowns) or this sunday?

Edited by JohnnyGold

The only bright sign for the Bills came about 90 minutes before the game. That's when Manuel took the field and threw a number of passes. Marrone hasn't ruled out Manuel being ready for the opener against New England on Sept. 8.

http://sports.yahoo....48703--nfl.html

Doug Marrone doesn't want to give the impression he feels good about EJ being back by Wednesday...but he's giving the impression. #Bills

Jon Doss@JonDossROC

32m

Jay Skurski@JaySkurski49m

EJ Manuel just left the locker room. No crutches, no limp. #Bills

Edited by JohnnyGold

Based on nuthin, since no one knows anything yet. I just think if you have a valuable rookie like Manuel, you want him to be 100% and well-prepared for his first start. I doubt that'll happen in time.

If his knee is sound he is better prepared than anyone else.

We're talking about a knee here and the franchise QB. Nobody's going to rush Tom Brady back from knee surgery to play the first game of the season. I think it unlikely the bills will do that with Manuel. JMHO.

I hear what you're saying...But from day one of this injury Marrone was crystal clear that it was a minor procedure...EJ is not coming back from an ACL...He's coming back from a minor procedure...That makes the risk of bringing him back minimal if in fact the doctors believe he's ready...You're right...There is no way they are going to risk anything with EJ...I just think you're assuming the injury was worse than it really was...Certainly you're assuming it was worse than Marrone said it was...He was talking about the possibility of EJ playing week #1 the day the injury was announced... B-)

http://profootballta...regame-warmups/

A little more info on the pre-game throwing.

Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News reports that Manuel was throwing “

a lot of balls” on the field before the Bills’ preseason finale against the Lions.

Gaughan adds that Manuel “wasn’t trotting or anything,” but getting back to throwing is clearly a step in the right direction for the rookie

Chris Brown@ChrisBrownBills

7h@ejmanuel3 Getting some light throwing in on the field pre-game. Not moving or stepping into throws, passes 10-15 yds. Good sign.

Some video, though not terribly illuminating. Definitely not stepping into these.

http://www.wkbw.com/...-221717661.html

http://www.wgrz.com/...ills-Lions-Game (loop)

Edited by NickelCity