ESPN backs out of NFL Concussion Study Collaboration with PBS

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/23/nfl-says-it-didnt-pressure-espn-to-pull-out-of-frontline-project/

Mentioned in the report that the NFL pressured ESPN to abandon its concussion project with PBS, but hardly highlighted, is the league’s position that no pressure was applied.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello reiterated in an email to PFT that the league did not pressure ESPN to abandon the effort.

“It is not true that we pressured ESPN to pull out of the film,” Aiello said. ”The lunch was requested several weeks ago by ESPN. We meet with our business partners on a regular basis and this was not unusual.”

The lunch reportedly occurred between Commissioner Roger Goodell, outgoing NFL Network chief Steve Bornstein, ESPN president John Skipper, and ESPN executive V.P. for production John Wildhack.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither do I. The NFL applied the heat and ESPN wilted is what I think transpired.

Remember that whold fiasco, in the late 90's I think, where the NFL, essentially, coerced ESPN into cancelling that awful pro-football drama? Sorry the show name escapes me...but it was actually pulling in very good ratings for ESPN. Then, they uncerimouniously dumped it...word was,the NFL didn't like that it portrayed the world of pro-football and pro football players in a very unflattering (to many) light. ESPN is powerful, but not without keeping the NFL happy.

Espn as well as most other sports networks are nothing without the NFL, the league and fans no it. No NFL games to show om your network and almost zero eyes will tune in. They were sweatng like a prostitute in church and said okay we promise to make movie as long as you let use pay you billoins for the next tv contract.

The NFL's problem is that concussions are not a bug, but a feature.

They know this, as does everyone else, and they are living in fear of the legal jeopardy ahead.

So the temptation to avoid the subject as much as possible is great, and growing.

Bingo. It's the bear in the room. Concussions are a part of the game, unfortunately, given that the game is about hitting people. At some point there's going to have to be a realistic discussion about that. It's the same thing in boxing. You can make rules that outlaw hitting the head or whatever, but the fact remains that both boxing and football (not to mention hockey, when played the way the pros play it) are violent sports.

Bingo. It's the bear in the room. Concussions are a part of the game, unfortunately, given that the game is about hitting people. At some point there's going to have to be a realistic discussion about that. It's the same thing in boxing. You can make rules that outlaw hitting the head or whatever, but the fact remains that both boxing and football (not to mention hockey, when played the way the pros play it) are violent sports.

The "alleged" problem is that the NFL has long known quite a bit about the long term effects of head trauma and didn't fully share what was learned with the players. The Front Line piece that I believe airs on October 8th and 15th presents information about this.

The "alleged" problem is that the NFL has long known quite a bit about the long term effects of head trauma and didn't fully share what was learned with the players. The Front Line piece that I believe airs on October 8th and 15th presents information about this.

Yes, this is going to be the NFL's version of the tobacco industry scandal way back. It sounds as though they have suppressed information for decades and only started worrying about the safety issue in recent years, when the old timers started speaking out. Can't remember all the details so much now (I too played football! :lol: ), but HBO's "Inside Sports" did a pretty damning piece about this, about 5 years ago, when the noise on this issue started to get considerably louder.

I feel selfish, because I love football, and I confess, the toughness of it appeals to me...and I find myself bemoaning the "softness" of today's game from time to time, when I let my guard down. But I don't think there is much denying that horrible repercussions that come with the sport for so many. I would venture to guess that the ill effects of those head traumas last much longer with more guys (not to mention all the other types of injuries) than the "millions" that they make over their short careers.

The NFL's problem is that concussions are not a bug, but a feature.

They know this, as does everyone else, and they are living in fear of the legal jeopardy ahead.

So the temptation to avoid the subject as much as possible is great, and growing.

yep.

The NYT story: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/24/sports/football/nfl-pressure-said-to-prompt-espn-to-quit-film-project.html?hp .

Just what did the Ginger Hammer have over them, for them to run with their tails between their legs?

negotiating rights for broadcasts, rebroadcasts, access to players, and generally everything espn needs to be a functioning entity in nfl coverage.

Are we football fans here?? Seriously!! Im failing to understand why "fans" of football get off on bringing it down.

There is no question that the NFL has known the ill effects of concussions on players. Hell many owners and execs are former players themselves. The NFLPA has always known the effects of heavy head trauma on a human. All of these people together know about forgetting where they are going on the road or experiencing incredible dizzy spells and falling down 20 years after playing. They ALL have always known because they live it together.

The news (ESPN) has a vested interest in the destruction of the NFL. Attorneys like Mike Florio & PFT side with anything that will hit the pocket book of the NFL. The NFLPA has an opportunity to attack the NFL on this because they have "sympathy" on their side.

I just don't understand why we as fans have to get caught up in this and further this Litigious agenda.

EVERYONE knows taking extreme hits is going to lead to health problems down the road. If you don't want to experience those difficulties don"t play!

Unfortunately this does seem to be true. I love the game, but I think it's gotten a little out of hand. Personally, I think, counter-intuitively, that some of the current equipment actually exacerbates the problem.

Unfortunately this does seem to be true. I love the game, but I think it's gotten a little out of hand. Personally, I think, counter-intuitively, that some of the current equipment actually exacerbates the problem.

I'm inclined to agree. That in combination with the speed of the game increasing over the course of time.

So much for journalistic integrity. Would love to hear JW's opinion on this matter.

truly we dont know what happened, if anything did, but its the nature of the beast. as an nfl journalist, do you bite the hand that feeds you? i imagine a lot of networks like to keep it reigned in a bit when covering controversial issues. espn wants the best press packages at big nfl events, some special leaks slid to their guys for first reports etc... they definitely will want to atleast consider who they offend with their reports.

Edited by NoSaint