ESPN backs out of NFL Concussion Study Collaboration with PBS

Are we football fans here?? Seriously!! Im failing to understand why "fans" of football get off on bringing it down.

There is no question that the NFL has known the ill effects of concussions on players. Hell many owners and execs are former players themselves. The NFLPA has always known the effects of heavy head trauma on a human. All of these people together know about forgetting where they are going on the road or experiencing incredible dizzy spells and falling down 20 years after playing. They ALL have always known because they live it together.

The news (ESPN) has a vested interest in the destruction of the NFL. Attorneys like Mike Florio & PFT side with anything that will hit the pocket book of the NFL. The NFLPA has an opportunity to attack the NFL on this because they have "sympathy" on their side.

I just don't understand why we as fans have to get caught up in this and further this Litigious agenda.

EVERYONE knows taking extreme hits is going to lead to health problems down the road. If you don't want to experience those difficulties don"t play!

Some very sweeping statements.

Did you even watch the show?

How is it that fans are brining the game down? By listening to and evaluating information that suggests there may be long-term damage to the well being of players because of repeated hits to the head? While you so quickly point out this is already a forgone conclusion, you fail to see the evidence is hardly absolutely conclusive on the issue.

Directionally there is little doubt that there is a problem. It is also highly likely that repeated head hits is a, if not the most, significant contributor to CTE. The problem is that the sample size of the data on which conclusions are being drawn is very small and it is not evident if other contributing factors were considered. For example there was no mention of steroids or PEDs. Both of which could contribute to the issue or maybe exaggerate it in combination with the incidents of head traumas.

How in the world does ESPN have a vested interest in the destruction of the NFL? So they can use their airtime and brand to air gardening shows?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some very sweeping statements.

Did you even watch the show?

How is it that fans are brining the game down? By listening to and evaluating information that suggests there may be long-term damage to the well being of players because of repeated hits to the head? While you so quickly point out this is already a forgone conclusion, you fail to see the evidence is hardly absolutely conclusive on the issue.

Directionally there is little doubt that there is a problem. It is also highly likely that repeated head hits is a, if not the most, significant contributor to CTE. The problem is that the sample size of the data on which conclusions are being drawn is very small and it is not evident if other contributing factors were considered. For example there was no mention of steroids or PEDs. Both of which could contribute to the issue or maybe exaggerate it in combination with the incidents of head traumas.

How in the world does ESPN have a vested interest in the destruction of the NFL? So they can use their airtime and brand to air gardening shows?

Did not watch the show. Pretty easy to figure out whats in it.

PBS + NFL "League of Denial" = Partisan waste of my time

http://regressing.deadspin.com/the-hidden-victims-of-the-nfls-concussion-crisis-1443101890

http://regressing.deadspin.com/the-hidden-victims-of-the-nfls-concussion-crisis-1443101890

And that, my friends, is how those on the right can remain ignorant for so long--let's not even listen to the other side, "I already know what they're going to say". Willful blindness some might call it....

• 2 weeks later...

@SI_PeterKing

We start a special report on head trauma and football this morning @themmqb: http://mmqb.si.com/2...eport/ …

Three years ago today, I sat in the office of Massachusetts neuropathologist Ann McKee, who studies the brains of deceased former football players to discover the effects of repetitive brain trauma. She showed me slides of cross-sections of brains of former NFL players with evidence of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE). This was five days after Rutgers player Eric LeGrand was paralyzed after a big hit in a college game, and four days after frightening blows by pro players James Harrison, Brandon Meriweather and Dunta Robinson. “I wonder,’’ McKee said that day. “Can we make it more of an Indy 500 and less of a demolition derby?”

The race is on to see if football can change—and so far, after three years, the effort is there on all levels. With the emphasis on the head trauma issue evident all over football and society, The MMQB will spend this week publishing a series of stories taking the temperature of people across America—high school coaches and players, parents of players, medical experts and current and former pro players—about the game.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Perhaps the NFL should have maniditory retirement after 10 years for all positions.

Think of,the neeedless suffering at the hands of Tom Brady, we could have avoided.

With all the head injuries now adays, it may not be as far fetched as it sounds.

Edited by oman128

http://regressing.de...isis-1443101890

Wow. One thing I can tell you is that the documentary is half about the injuries themselves (which, obviously, you totally understand already) and half about the league's efforts to cover up that knowledge from being made accessible to the players/former players. As far as the injuries, yes, we knew they existed to some extent, but it's more about how prevalent they may actually be. There are startling revelations about the cover up efforts in the film, but again, I wouldn't bother watching it because you already know everything. To those who haven't seen it but don't already know everything, I would strongly recommend it, it's an excellent documentary. P.S. Why don't you read some of the top comments in the very article you linked, including the first one that makes mention of the fact that 45 of the 46 brains studied by the doctor that THE NFL HIRED to examine former players' brains were found to have CTE. I know you guys don't like "facts" and "numbers," but still, that's pretty compelling, no?

Edited by metzelaars_lives

And that, my friends, is how those on the right can remain ignorant for so long--let's not even listen to the other side, "I already know what they're going to say". Willful blindness some might call it....

You are right on point. This syndrome is at the heart of the extremely serious situation our nation is in.

You are right on point. This syndrome is at the heart of the extremely serious situation our nation is in.

Its a good thing those on the left are willing to listen to other points of view. Otherwise this nation would be in real trouble.

Wow. One thing I can tell you is that the documentary is half about the injuries themselves (which, obviously, you totally understand already) and half about the league's efforts to cover up that knowledge from being made accessible to the players/former players. As far as the injuries, yes, we knew they existed to some extent, but it's more about how prevalent they may actually be. There are startling revelations about the cover up efforts in the film, but again, I wouldn't bother watching it because you already know everything. To those who haven't seen it but don't already know everything, I would strongly recommend it, it's an excellent documentary. P.S. Why don't you read some of the top comments in the very article you linked, including the first one that makes mention of the fact that 45 of the 46 brains studied by the doctor that THE NFL HIRED to examine former players' brains were found to have CTE. I know you guys don't like "facts" and "numbers," but still, that's pretty compelling, no?

Fact: 45 of 46 NFL brains Dr. Mckee studied had CTE.

Fact: Doctors have yet to conclude that contact sports cause CTE.

Opinion: PBS is a partisan waste of my time

The NFL, Doctors, You nor I know enough about CTE and its definitive causes.

This is both illogical and false.

Doctors indeed know that repetitive brain trauma can be linked to CTE. The fact that not everyone that suffers repetitive brain trauma doesn't develop CTE doesn't make that any less true.

If you think that there isn't a link between the multiple concussions they've sustained and the sport they play in the NFL, then you are even less informed about the issue than I thought.

This isn't now nor was it ever a partisan political issue. That is ridiculous on every front.

Fact: causing cigarettes enhances your chances of getting lung cancer. Fact: playing football enhances your chances of getting CTE. If we can't agree on this, then honestly, you should probably watch the documentary. You are reading way too much into the politics of this. It's not a left/right thing. I think a few posters have drawn the parallel that people who are ignoring facts here are akin to people on the right ignoring the science behind other issues (I'm sure you know the one I'm alluding to but please let's not go there- although I think it is a dead-on comparison), but this particular issue is in no way political. What the hell does PBS stand to gain by exposing the NFL's blatant cover up attempt with respect to CTE aside from making a compelling documentary and getting good ratings? Dude, everyone loves football. No one is out to sabotage football. You even went so far as to say that ESPN also wants to end football as we know it, which may be the most insane thing I've ever seen anyone write on this website.

Its a good thing those on the left are willing to listen to other points of view. Otherwise this nation would be in real trouble.

Speaking only for myself, I read or watch others before I criticize them--I don't set up my own straw man by putting words in their mouth.....