The states, re-drawn based on population...

Just Jack

Interesting choice of names... Unique mix. Native themes along with some early history and nature. Nothing derogatory. Three that stand out: Detroit, Firelands and Gary... Probably closest to the region I am in. I don't get where he got Firelands from ?? Detroit means "strait" in French, understandable because of the straits between Lake Huron and Lake Erie. Gary is named after a man... US Steel/lawyer... Why not stick w/the Native regional themes as in the others (Like Sangamon, etc...) and go with say: Michigamea (people), Mishigami (the lake)... Or even Calumet... Of course nothing derogatory, just what the Natives have been calling the places for practically their whole time here. But, after Elbert Henry Gary? Why not just name it: Jackson 5? LoL... I sense a little bit of a dig here... LoL... ;-)

So I live in the state of Tidewater (not a big shock since Hampton Roads is often referred to as Tidewater) and am originally from the state of Allegheny (again not a big shock).

I like the state of Allegheny tho. Erie/Western PA has alot more in common with Eastern Ohio and Western New York than with Philthadelphia and West Jersey.

Okay... I just read the second link... I was gonna suggest Western Reserve for Firelands... But, now I get it.

I still don't get where they came up with Gary... They say song? What song is that? From the Music Man? It still named after a person first, like King.

Gary we live in forsaken Gary???

Wait till I tell my family.

I think you would be in the state of Chicago... The great state of Gary would basically wrap around Chicago from the Michigan border @ South Bend, Indiana to Milwaukee, WI w/Joliet in between...

Correct, the state names are in all caps, cities are upper and lower case. Using the NYC area for example, is now split into the states of NEWARK, NEW YORK, and THROGS NECK.

Correct, the state names are in all caps, cities re upper and lower case. Using the NYC area for example, is now split into the states of NEWARK, NEW YORK, and THROGS NECK.

I am still miffed that after all this thought and with the uniqueness of the names... Great project, what not... They lay a dud with the great state of Gary. LoL... Then say it was named after a song! Huh? Gary is the last name of a person. Elbert Henry Gary was US Steel chairman. HuH? What am I missing w/the Music Man song that came many years later? Like I said, better to name it the state of Jackson 5... LoL... ;-)

Then we could have had counties in the state of Jackson 5:

Jermaine

Tito

Michael

Jackie

Marlon

Then we can annex the county of: Randy from Menominee! ;-)

Firelands would be extremely Democrat.

I heard the suffering would be terrible! Of course all the blame would be pinned on the Republicans!

:-P

Interesting. I live in CT and cannot see what we are renamed. Somewhere between the Poconos, Casco, and the Adirondacks. Can anyone see what CT is renamed?

Depending on where you are, one of the three you named, or Willimantic.

Interesting choice of names... Unique mix. Native themes along with some early history and nature. Nothing derogatory. Three that stand out: Detroit, Firelands and Gary... Probably closest to the region I am in. I don't get where he got Firelands from ?? Detroit means "strait" in French, understandable because of the straits between Lake Huron and Lake Erie. Gary is named after a man... US Steel/lawyer... Why not stick w/the Native regional themes as in the others (Like Sangamon, etc...) and go with say: Michigamea (people), Mishigami (the lake)... Or even Calumet... Of course nothing derogatory, just what the Natives have been calling the places for practically their whole time here. But, after Elbert Henry Gary? Why not just name it: Jackson 5? LoL... I sense a little bit of a dig here... LoL... ;-)

What??? Using American Indian names in the map?? How racist!

What??? Using American Indian names in the map?? How racist!

Notice... I said no derogatory names and to use the names that they called places. Apples and oranges but try and draw a connection. They called Lake Michigan: Mishagami.

How in the heck is Cheektowaga derogatory? Except for all the pink flamingoes on the lawns. :-P

Illinois is a tribe name? There is no objection there.

It is okay to use words that they would not find offensive and belittling. They too actually had names for places. Not just the Anglicized name...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois