a quick review of the short tenure of GM Whaley

zazie

Again, we are trying to decide who to credit/blame and the answer is all of them. A more accurate question is, "have you been satisfied with the front office this offseason?" To me it is a yes. There are a few things that would have made it perfect (comparable replacement for Levitre & long term Byrd deal) but the positives outweigh the negatives by a lot IMO. I give the front office a B+ this year.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Failed to resign Byrd

Failed to resign Levitre or bring in good vet FA help at G

Failed to bring in good vet FA help at CB

Should have made decision on vet QB sooner and not got stuck with Kolb

The Byrd saga is still ongoing.

The cornerback situation has not been defined.

What QB should the Bills have acquired?

I guess I am just so happy with him for not losing to Eugene Parker, maybe the halo shines too bright.

he gave nothing, no promise not to franchise, no trade, no nothing, and Byrd is back with the team.

Parker played Russ like a fiddle with Peters.

Won 0 games

Let's play some football

Exactly. Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Waaay too much optimism in the Pre-season on the board. It's good to see. But let's not put this guy in Bill Polian status just yet.

1. Marrone was hired under Buddy; 2. Too early to tell; 3. Buddy was GM for the draft. As has been stated, this was a collaborative organization and both Whaley and Buddy have participated in good and bad moves.

Technically, 1 and 3 are correct. But practically, Whaley was intimately involved with the entire process, especially the draft. We can officially stamp this as his first draft.

#2 is the simple reality of the situation. Way too early to tell.

GO BILLS!!!

I have the idea that Whaley was the main guy for some time, Buddy was in name only since the end of last season. Maybe I am wrong though, I do not have any mysterious inside sources whose name I can't disclose like several other posters purport to have, just my own perception.

You are. The Bills don't run some double secret probation type organization. Buddy Picked Marrone, Buddy ran the draft.

You are. The Bills don't run some double secret probation type organization. Buddy Picked Marrone, Buddy ran the draft.

While Buddy had a voice, the Marrone decision was made by committee and Whaley was a big part of that interview process the entire time. And while still holding the GM title, Buddy had less to do with this draft than any other in his tenure as GM. That's not saying he wasn't involved, he was and had been for the yearlong draft process, but Whaley was in the driver's seat, behind the scenes, until it was over and he was named GM in title.

GO BILLS!!!

Oh jeez...this reminds me of the old days, when Jim Lorentz was doing color commentating on Sabres games... he had a need, at the first whilstle (even if it was just moments into the game) to declare which team had the edge "so far". I like the Whaley hire, and I think those discrediting him, or passing "credit" (or whatever you want to call it) to Buddy for some to the moves since the season started are kind of under-playing Whaley's involvement. Understandable I suppose, but personally I think he had more of a hand in hiring Marrone than he did in the hire of Chan Gailey...

Also, so far anyways (since we are declaring winners and losers before a meaningful snap has taken place) it looks as though Whaley made a good deal in swapping Kelvin Sheppard for Jerrry Hughes. Shep played better in this past weeks game, but was dreadful against the Bills. Hughes has been a defensive standout since donning a Bills jersey. Of course, I am mindful of how good Shawne Merriman looked in pre-season as well....

While Buddy had a voice, the Marrone decision was made by committee and Whaley was a big part of that interview process the entire time. And while still holding the GM title, Buddy had less to do with this draft than any other in his tenure as GM. That's not saying he wasn't involved, he was and had been for the yearlong draft process, but Whaley was in the driver's seat, behind the scenes, until it was over and he was named GM in title.

GO BILLS!!!

Prove it

Prove it

You mean like with an official link and all that? Can't. Guess that makes me full of schitt. That's OK, I can live with it. In the meantime I will disagree with you on the matter.

Here's a link to that yahoo article posted a couple weeks ago and bandied about in a thread. It reiterates the involvement of Whaley in the Marrone process along with the committee approach taken by the front office.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--bills-vow-doug-marrone-will-make-them-winners-200622445.html

Whaley's influence has been growing for several years now, since it was first speculated he was being groomed to take over for Buddy, even before he was named Asst. GM. Whaley's always had a direct hand in the draft process in terms of player evaluation. And I trust those that have mentioned he was in the "Kirk" chair in their draft room this April. Take that for what it's worth which, on an anonymous internet fan forum is nothing. I get that. No problem.

GO BILLS!!!

You generally earn respect.

He hasn't done anything yet.

That's the problem with modern society. Respect was something that you gave everyone unequivocally until they did something to lose it. Respect? Hell, we don't even bother with benefit of the doubt anymore.

GO BILLS!!!

That's the problem with modern society. Respect was something that you gave everyone unequivocally until they did something to lose it. Respect? Hell, we don't even bother with benefit of the doubt anymore.

GO BILLS!!!

Well there are two different types of respect.

One is given as part of being a human being.

Another is respect for a worker and a job well done. It's business.

I think it was assumed that we were talking about the latter.