A very positive take on the Bills' 2013 draft

Pats still win the division, but I think we sweep the jets. I'm not sure what to make of the Phins yet.

The Bills we be a much better team this year, coaching will be the difference.

"Why I loved the Bills Draft". By someone not named Skip Bayless. :)

or named by a guy who actually looked at players, not sports center.

They have an interesting evaluation of Tuel before the draft, too:

In a draft that lacks a lock stud QB, we’d rather draft Jeff Tuel in round five than any other QB in round one or two. The more we watch this year's group of QBs, the more we think the way to win this draft is to wait and get great value. It’s going to be very interesting to see where Tuel lands. The Patriots have had him in for a visit. He’d be a very good fit for their offense.

Loved the analysis, even if from a future fantasy perspective by a Jets fan.

Being faster at WR is only going to open up more downfield lanes for CJ Spiller, who we all know is wickedly fast and dangerous in the open field. Think of a well sold draw play, and now the WRs have taken their coverage deep(er) than what we have seen. CJ is going to have that much more real estate to choose from, and those safeties better take good angles and be good open-field tacklers or it's bye bye!!!

Not to mention, you just can't coach speed. And these guys seem like real ballplayers, not Renaldo Nehemiahs.

Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

In a draft that lacks a lock stud QB, we’d rather draft Jeff Tuel in round five than any other QB in round one or two. The more we watch this year's group of QBs, the more we think the way to win this draft is to wait and get great value. It’s going to be very interesting to see where Tuel lands. The Patriots have had him in for a visit. He’d be a very good fit for their offense.

Two things - one related to this, one to the draft in general.

1) Even if he was a 5th round flyer, as far as starting qbs go thats essentially saying "he has a snowballs chance in hell, but atleast ill have a snowball." its not much of an endorsement. thats hopefully he can atleast be a backup territory.

2) i know we havent seen the results yet with nix/whaley duo, but i think over a long enough haul the process and abilities would consistently produce more good than bad. nix isnt the GM you want for a one year turnaround, but i think his philosophies are sound for long term success. there have been some bad breaks in there, some issues with available talent not always matching need, etc... but in a general sense i think i give more credit than most around here probably.

Makes sense, and, really, the Bills didn't pay "lock stud" prices. That's what the Redskins did. The article did say that Manuel was their top ranked guy, just not a lock.

Good Find!

They also listed about a dozen players who they really liked before the draft. Two became Bills:

EJ Manuel, QB, Florida State - 6'5" / 237 / 4.65

Manuel almost made it into our underrated group, but he’s well known enough where we wanted to blow the whistle on guys like Jeff Tuel instead. This is an underrated QB class as I got into earlier today on the blog. Back to Manuel. He’s the one guy that has the athletic upside to be elite at the position and he’s as good on film as anybody else in the group. We think he is a good value anywhere after the first half of round one. E.J.’s got all the physical tools in abundance and he’s a winner. While we like Geno Smith some and the same goes for Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib and Tyler Wilson--Manuel is the guy if we are taking a QB early.

Robert Woods, WR, USC - 6’1” / 190 / 4.51

Woods is the total package. He’s got the hands and he can run all the routes. He also plays faster than his timed speed. Woods is a threat anywhere on the field. We love this guy’s floor.

http://rotobahn.com/rotobahns-guys/

Goodwin and Tuel both made their underrated list:

http://rotobahn.com/respect-the-blog/

Good Find!

They also listed about a dozen players who they really liked before the draft. Two became Bills:

Manuel almost made it into our underrated group, but he’s well known enough where we wanted to blow the whistle on guys like Jeff Tuel instead. This is an underrated QB class as I got into earlier today on the blog. Back to Manuel. He’s the one guy that has the athletic upside to be elite at the position and he’s as good on film as anybody else in the group. We think he is a good value anywhere after the first half of round one. E.J.’s got all the physical tools in abundance and he’s a winner. While we like Geno Smith some and the same goes for Matt Barkley, Ryan Nassib and Tyler Wilson--Manuel is the guy if we are taking a QB early.

Woods is the total package. He’s got the hands and he can run all the routes. He also plays faster than his timed speed. Woods is a threat anywhere on the field. We love this guy’s floor.

Nice. I liked the one on Cordarrelle Patterson.

Good Find!

I like the bolded part. Does our front office read their site or something? Maybe the bad news is that they liked New England's draft too.

Two things - one related to this, one to the draft in general.

1) Even if he was a 5th round flyer, as far as starting qbs go thats essentially saying "he has a snowballs chance in hell, but atleast ill have a snowball." its not much of an endorsement. thats hopefully he can atleast be a backup territory.

2) i know we havent seen the results yet with nix/whaley duo, but i think over a long enough haul the process and abilities would consistently produce more good than bad. nix isnt the GM you want for a one year turnaround, but i think his philosophies are sound for long term success. there have been some bad breaks in there, some issues with available talent not always matching need, etc... but in a general sense i think i give more credit than most around here probably.

It seems like the guy is saying that the draft was deep more than saying Tuel only has a snowball's chance. It adds up to reality when you saw all those QBs going in the 4th.

And I'll tell you what, I was digging and here's what the same guy said on Russell Wilson last year before Wilson won the job.

“He plays with tremendous poise and confidence. We realize that Seattle paid solid bucks for Matt Flynn, but on tape, Wilson is a better player. We like him as a dynasty add and would not be at all surprised if he ended up starting in Seattle at some point this year if not right away. This kid has great feet, and he’s cool in the pocket yet has the wheels to escape, and he can throw the rock. If you are looking for a young QB capable of being the next Drew Brees, this could be the guy. He’s a leader, an athlete and he has the poise you look for in an NFL QB.”

He's been right before. Tuel's an even bigger long shot, but who cares? We got him for FREE. That's what I want from my GM. Find stuff under rocks and all that. That's how you win. You need to make good big decisions, but you also need to do the little things like getting all the value you can right after the draft ends.

It seems like the guy is saying that the draft was deep more than saying Tuel only has a snowball's chance. It adds up to reality when you saw all those QBs going in the 4th.

And I'll tell you what, I was digging and here's what the same guy said on Russell Wilson last year before Wilson won the job.

“He plays with tremendous poise and confidence. We realize that Seattle paid solid bucks for Matt Flynn, but on tape, Wilson is a better player. We like him as a dynasty add and would not be at all surprised if he ended up starting in Seattle at some point this year if not right away. This kid has great feet, and he’s cool in the pocket yet has the wheels to escape, and he can throw the rock. If you are looking for a young QB capable of being the next Drew Brees, this could be the guy. He’s a leader, an athlete and he has the poise you look for in an NFL QB.”

He's been right before. Tuel's an even bigger long shot, but who cares? We got him for FREE. That's what I want from my GM. Find stuff under rocks and all that. That's how you win. You need to make good big decisions, but you also need to do the little things like getting all the value you can right after the draft ends.

I understand what he was saying fully and still stand by my comment. Tuel is finding a lottery ticket on the ground, free and could be worth a ton but most likely something less. Ill still be thrilled if it turns into a free dinner even if I'm not retiring on my winnings.

Just pointing out, regardless of how deep you think the draft is, a qb drafted on the final day is an incredible long shot even if he could be considered a value pick. He knowsthat when saying take a flyer in the 5th. hes not saying hes likely to succeed. In our case it was free, so even better. Still, the best undrafted guys are incredibly rare to get much if anything out of.

His take on Wilson was far from unheard of. Many thought Wilson had a great shot and all the tools with height being the only question mark.

Edited by NoSaint

Ok, fair enough, but I thought saying "next Drew Brees" was pretty gutsy.

That was literally the most common comparison as it was another natural athlete that slid because of height. You'd likely be hard pressed to find an extended piece on Wilson that didnt mention drew as either "could be the next..." or "won't be the next...." depending on which side of the conversation they fell

That was literally the most common comparison as it was another natural athlete that slid because of height. You'd likely be hard pressed to find an extended piece on Wilson that didnt mention drew as either "could be the next..." or "won't be the next...." depending on which side of the conversation they fell

There were also more than a few comparisons to Doug Flutie.

So ... all those "why did we overlook Russell Wilson" articles were written because he wasn't overlooked? And how many articles have I seen that said, "who is the next Russell Wilson?"

I'm going to give credit for calling him the steal of the draft before he was actually a big name. I'm sure they weren't the only site that said it, but it was a good call either way. It was good info for me at the time because I play fantasy football like a fiend. I got Wilson with my last pick in a few leagues. He had very little buzz going into the year.

Anyway, the point is that this year, they liked Manuel and they liked Tuel too and they have a good track record. I'm encouraged.

Edited by SPILLERmadeUmiss

I was perusing this site after finding a good Jeff Tuel scouting report there and found this.

I like his take on our draft.

http://rotobahn.com/...he-bills-draft/

Think positive, folks. Read the article again. lol

It made me smile both times.

EJ didn't suffer a major injury and we had a great draft. The only really bad news is that his progress is being slowed, but it's a marathon, not a sprint. Of course, if it WAS a sprint ... we'd win!

This team can use the run to set things up until EJ is 100% and then we can move towards more balance.

Seriously. Stay positive. This is nothing but a small bump.

Meaningless.

i read last year, predraft, that Belichick brings in every qb every year.

To pick their brains and scout them, and make notes, in case he ever has to play against them.

This, folks, is preparation.

Meaningless.

i read last year, predraft, that Belichick brings in every qb every year.

To pick their brains and scout them, and make notes, in case he ever has to play against them.

This, folks, is preparation.

That makes sense if they have played for an NFL team. They brought him in to scout him. You only get x number of rookie visits. Come on, man.