Hackett on CJ Spiller's Role in the Offense

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So. Taking one of the top 10 backs in the league and not putting him on the field as a factor is a good thing? Put your 11 best players on the field. Its not about taking turns. Its about winning.

I agree that they should be on the field together as much as possible, but Freddy is not a top-10 back in this league anymore.

I tend to agree with Hackett, but, frankly, I think people don't give enough credence to Chan's view that Spiller would be more effective with fewer carries. I guess we'll see who's right.

It will be interesting to find out. Maybe CJ won't average 6 YPC if he gets 20 carries per game. But Hackett's right, we should find out. Let's see what CJ can do with more touches.

On the other hand, I don't want to neglect Freddy.

How could anyone possibly be upset about this? With a rookie quarterback staring (hopefully) he's going to need to have a security blanket when things get rough. Thankfully for him and for us, we have one of the best and explosive backs in the league. On top of that, we also have Fred, but I don't think it is any question who's better between CJ and Fred. I agree, get them both on the field together, but if this team has any chance to be a winning team this year, it starts with CJ getting 20-25 touches a game (on the ground and catching passes) and with us playing sound defense. I think that is a winning formula for this young team.

How could anyone possibly be upset about this? With a rookie quarterback staring (hopefully) he's going to need to have a security blanket when things get rough. Thankfully for him and for us, we have one of the best and explosive backs in the league. On top of that, we also have Fred, but I don't think it is any question who's better between CJ and Fred. I agree, get them both on the field together, but if this team has any chance to be a winning team this year, it starts with CJ getting 20-25 touches a game (on the ground and catching passes) and with us playing sound defense. I think that is a winning formula for this young team.

Good post.

List the top 10.

AP

CJ

CJ2k

Arian Foster

MJD

Gore

McFadden

Charles

Lynch

Rice

Steven Jackson

Morris

McCoy

Deangelo Williams

Demarco Murray

Ingram

More than 10 RBs that are all better than FJ. Just saying.

List the top 10.

Not my original statement, but I thought it would be fun to try:

AP

CJ

Jamaal Charles

Marshawn Lynch

Ray Rice

Frank Gore

Arian Foster

MJD

LeSean McCoy

Doug Martin or Alfred Morris or Chris Johnson

Edited by Big C

thy interview was horrible with how choppy it was and in and out of signal but I caught this as well.

"Until he throws up or taps out"

Regardless of what everyone says, having CJ on the field and being the feature is not a bad thing. Nothing bad can come of this. Sure, some will say he will get winded, but lets have CJ how us that. Some ill say he can get injured, well, Kolb just got injured walking out to practice slipping on a rubber mat. Anything can happen. You can't think like that. Lets just put our best players on the field as much as possible and see what happens.

I personally love this.

AP had 9 games over 20+ and 2 of those he had 30+. Don't think he was the right name to say that

He averages 19.7 carries per game in his CAREER. He's the exactly right person to name. If ANYONE thinks CJ is that durable they're smoking something. The point is NOBODY these days does 20. Not even AP.