SJ is a slot-man now

I think I've read Stevie's 3 years of 1k yards 100 times here, like people think it means anything today. Any receiver who gets the opportunities Stevie has

this---^

Just close your lame thread dude. You've been here for 8 months, have 32 posts (half if them in this thread) and don't know how to use the search function.

This topic has been argued for years now in multiple threads. And points have been made that were much stronger than yours to show that Stevie is not a "#1 WR". At the end of the day, he most definitely is a #1 WR not only on this team but would be in others as well. He is the only Buffalo Bill to ever record 3 straight seasons of 1,000+ yards. He is on pace to surpass all receiving records held by Buffalo WRs. He loves this city and is generally a good guy (if you don't get offended by fake military shirts or TD dances). Or maybe your still butthurt that he dropped an easy TD catch against Pittsburgh. News flash guy, many "ELITE WRs" drop sure TD passes. Happens all the time. Hell, even Calvin Johnson has had his fare share of them, including a stupid mistake that cost his team a game as well. Or how about Desean Jackson showboating and dropping the ball at the 1 yard line? It happens.

But keep thinking what you want. Even the posters on here that agree that Stevie isn't that great are arguing with you. It must suck when you put all that time into a (in your mind) well thought out post only to get crap from everyone. Just take your defeat and close the thread. Nobody here is agreeing with you.

Knocking someone for not being 'established' here.

Lauding Stevie's 1k seasons like they mean anything today.

forums.twobillsdrive.com in a nutshell.

Edited by Leelee Phoenix

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF Woods and the younger guys can step up and become legit outside threats I see this working out wonderfully. But while I think its possible that Stevie will work almost exclusively out of the slot, but I think Stevie will spend some time working the outside.

this---^

Just close your lame thread dude. You've been here for 8 months, have 32 posts (half if them in this thread) and don't know how to use the search function.

This topic has been argued for years now in multiple threads. And points have been made that were much stronger than yours to show that Stevie is not a "#1 WR". At the end of the day, he most definitely is a #1 WR not only on this team but would be in others as well. He is the only Buffalo Bill to ever record 3 straight seasons of 1,000+ yards. He is on pace to surpass all receiving records held by Buffalo WRs. He loves this city and is generally a good guy (if you don't get offended by fake military shirts or TD dances). Or maybe your still butthurt that he dropped an easy TD catch against Pittsburgh. News flash guy, many "ELITE WRs" drop sure TD passes. Happens all the time. Hell, even Calvin Johnson has had his fare share of them, including a stupid mistake that cost his team a game as well. Or how about Desean Jackson showboating and dropping the ball at the 1 yard line? It happens.

But keep thinking what you want. Even the posters on here that agree that Stevie isn't that great are arguing with you. It must suck when you put all that time into a (in your mind) well thought out post only to get crap from everyone. Just take your defeat and close the thread. Nobody here is agreeing with you.

youre just wrong as could be. His drop percentage is close to number one in the nfl for a couple seasons now, fact. He is not fast, fact. I like him and stated it, fact, but hes not a number one in the way I and many other define the word.. . Hes only the bills #1. dropping game winners is pretty important too imo and in many others opinion.

Actually my thread brought all the homers and cool aid drinkers out of the wood work. Im no troll and have watched the bills for 30 years now, I just dont get into immature love affairs with average players and pretend they are better than they really are just because theyre bills. I also dont call people stupid, and idiots when they dont agree even if they have totally illogical arguments like"3 straight years of 1000 yards" which you have now admitted are a basis for ultimate worship. Many people read my take and moved on in silent argreement. Only the jilted SJ lovers cant help respond with factless, statless, exampless responses saying Im stupid....

Really? Im the stupid one?

I guess 20th rated WRs with big drops and big penalties and slow 40 yard dashes are just waiting for a great qb to make them what? faster?

I would say his newest leg injury wont really matter since he doesnt beat anyone deep anyway, what does it matter on a 5 yard slant you just run in front of the QB and catch it so no story there. But his triple head fake will be incredible in the next loss to the jets where he "owns" Revis with 3 catches for 65 yards and 0 TD's

Edited by enlightener

So you are trying to kill us all, by trolling? :w00t: ) BTW if you'd rather have Stevie than Welker (look at the contract #s for one thing) you are an idiot ~ credit goes to DC Tom I guess since I used it. Lets see how Welker looks with out Brady, I bet it aint bad (and ya I know Manning but I have a feeling he will get injured, I mean come on it;s Denver :rolleyes:

umm yes id rather have sj than welker, so would many fans of the bills, welker is a quick midget living off of brady, catching short cear out patterns on a great team with a great system, so he has numbers with no real talent aside from being open and good hands. Again that is two thirds of being a true 1. At least SJ has size but welkers sure hands make it close. But isnt welker old? so im the idiot here?

I stopped reading right there.

I would think you know there are 32 teams in today's NFL.

maybe read the whole post containing things like logic and facts and see how your tunnel vision might change.

Actually my thread brought all the homers and cool aid drinkers out of the wood work. Im no troll and have watched the bills for 30 years now, I just dont get into immature love affairs with average players and pretend they are better than they really are just because theyre bills. I also dont call people stupid, and idiots when they dont agree even if they have totally illogical arguments like"3 straight years of 1000 yards" which you have now admitted are a basis for ultimate worship. Many people read my take and moved on in silent argreement. Only the jilted SJ lovers cant help respond with factless, statless, exampless responses saying Im stupid....

Im no troll

The ignorant, inflammatory language you have been using throughout your thread is the very definition of what constitutes a troll.

This conversation about SJohnson has occurred many times before, and it occurred without being insulting until you came along and started talking down to people.

If you actually want to engage people in conversation in this forum, perhaps you should reconsider how you go about it......

youre just wrong as could be. His drop percentage is close to number one in the nfl for a couple seasons now, fact. He is not fast, fact. I like him and stated it, fact, but hes not a number one in the way I and many other define the word.. . Hes only the bills #1. dropping game winners is pretty important too imo and in many others opinion.

I guess 20th rated WRs with big drops and big penalties and slow 40 yard dashes are just waiting for a great qb to make them what? faster?

I would say his newest leg injury wont really matter since he doesnt beat anyone deep anyway, what does it matter on a 5 yard slant you just run in front of the QB and catch it so no story there. But his triple head fake will be incredible in the next loss to the jets where he "owns" Revis with 3 catches for 65 yards and 0 TD's

I would love to see the stats that back up your claim about Stevie being #1 in drop percentage over the last 3 years.

Lets see it...seriously.

Just so you know, I've looked it up, so I know where he ranks.

Time to put up or shut up.

The ignorant, inflammatory language you have been using throughout your thread is the very definition of what constitutes a troll.

This conversation about SJohnson has occurred many times before, and it occurred without being insulting until you came along and started talking down to people.

If you actually want to engage people in conversation in this forum, perhaps you should reconsider how you go about it......

actually if you read the whole thread youll see people begin using idiot and stupid and troll well before i used such "harsh" language like homers and cool aid drinkers. Maybe if people could express opinions with about being personally insulted they wouldnt feel the need to get further into it and defend themselves. The whole argument is about a bills favorite so If hes not my idea of an all time great Bill I have every right to say that without you or anyone else using my language as an excuse to rip my opinion...Did you pm all the posters who used actual offensive words back when the post started? Are you just angry because I dont have your opinion of SJ? You use ignorant with me, what is ignorant about saying someone is an SJ lover or a homer? thats been said in thousands of posts without being called ignorant and inflammatory. If the posts so ignorant why are people so angry with it? It must have some truth to it or it couldnt even spark a response. Again i find it quite amazing that you would even respond to what I wrote without addressing the words other here used first.

Rice has 1,549 career receptions, most in NFL history.

Welker has 768, ranking him 29th.

Look it up.

Now, if Welker continues to average 100+ catches per season, with Manning at QB, it's not inconceivable for him to reach Rice's # in the next 7 seasons, after which he'll be 38.

I know you like to debate, but your post is wildly inaccurate.

Averaging 100 catches per season for the next 8 years (not 7 as you stated) would be an amazing feat. He would be 39!

That means no injuries, no slow down, and a continuing trend of hof qbs throwing to him. It could happen but it is extremely extremely unlikely.

Think about it like this. In 6 years he caught more balls than anyone in nfl history in his prime. He still doesn't have half the catches rice had. He is also not in his prime anymore an has Eric decker and demaryious Thomas stealing catches from him this year.

That said I am willing to take that bet if you'd care to wager.

I would love to see the stats that back up your claim about Stevie being #1 in drop percentage over the last 3 years.

Lets see it...seriously.

OK MAN HERE IT IS....https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/ breath did I put up enough???

SJ, Cruz and Decker are in a three way tie for second worse in the nfl last year being a 10th of a point apart. I dont have a link for 2011 but I remember seeing it and stevie is close to 1 like I said, you can tell us all since you looked it up, post it! I never saw one for 2010 but I remember quite a few drops that year so it cant be much better.

Why is there so much hate on Stevie you want to say woods is the new #1 but what has he done yet let alone against revis or anyone in the influx I'm not saying woods is going to sick but Stevie has been nothing but productive since hes been a starter

OK MAN HERE IT IS....https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/21/signature-stats-drop-rate-wide-receivers/ breath did I put up enough???

SJ, Cruz and Decker are in a three way tie for second worse in the nfl last year being a 10th of a point apart. I dont have a link for 2011 but I remember seeing it and stevie is close to 1 like I said, you can tell us all since you looked it up, post it! I never saw one for 2010 but I remember quite a few drops that year so it cant be much better.

Did you even read that article you linked to?

Here's exactly what it shows:

Stevie ranked tied for 10th in NUMBER of drops (not %) with fewer than guys like Marshall, Bryant, Cruz, and Megatron, all of whom are undoubtedly elite.

As for drop percentage, I an only conclude that you stopped reading after the first table was presented, because the very next table shows the ten players with the highest drop percentage, and none of the three you claim (Decker, Cruz, SJ) are listed.

So no, he isn't close to #1 in drop percentage. In fact he's not in the top 10.

I think you need to learn to read more carefully, lest you make silly mistakes like these.

Averaging 100 catches per season for the next 8 years (not 7 as you stated) would be an amazing feat. He would be 39!

That means no injuries, no slow down, and a continuing trend of hof qbs throwing to him. It could happen but it is extremely extremely unlikely.

Think about it like this. In 6 years he caught more balls than anyone in nfl history in his prime. He still doesn't have half the catches rice had. He is also not in his prime anymore an has Eric decker and demaryious Thomas stealing catches from him this year.

That said I am willing to take that bet if you'd care to wager.

I didn't say I thought he'd do it, I said that if he continued to average 100 rec per year that e could challenge for it.

An the over-riding point was that a guy that averages 100+ rec per year has to be deemed a #1.

The post you quoted was also refuting a poster that claimed (a) Welker ranked something ridiculous like 158th in catches, and (b) might barely pass James Lofton (he already has).

Edited by thebandit27

According to the article he played 17% of his plays in the slot last year which I wouldn't classify as "a ton." Compare that to a guy like Wayne who played in the slot more than 50% of the time. Might be a good idea to read the articles you're posting about.

Some are not smart enough to know how to get around Buffalo Bills nag block; or even know how (clear cookies) and unable to do it.

This I think proves one or the other for Dork.

I didn't say I thought he'd do it, I said that if he continued to average 100 rec per year that e could challenge for it.

An the over-riding point was that a guy that averages 100+ rec per year has to be deemed a #1.

The post you quoted was also refuting a poster that claimed (a) Welker ranked something ridiculous like 158th in catches, and (b) might barely pass James Lofton (he already has).

No worries. I can't respond to him bc frankly I'm tired of this debate. I've said all I need to say about Stevie and think people that want to bash him hate him more personally than professionaly.

As for Welker he is a perfect example of new football. I've stated before and "enlightener" falls in the trap of confusing the x receiver with a #1 wr. They used to be the guy on the outside who did it all. They aren't now. They are the #1 receiving option on the team. Could be x,y, or z receivers. Could be a physical freak (megatron) a move the chains type (Hines ward) or slot (Welker).

Now I've enlightened him!

Knocking someone for not being 'established' here.

Lauding Stevie's 1k seasons like they mean anything today.

forums.twobillsdrive.com in a nutshell.

Get some more posts ;-)

my evidence of Stevie having 3 straight 1,000 yard seasons is about as much evidence as yiu say he's not a true #1.

You still haven't posted any definition of what a true #1 is. Pretty sure you won't find it anywhere.

So here's about the best thing I can say about it:

A true number 1 WR is a player that almost always draws the coverage of the opposing teams best defensive back. Stevie does that and he succeeds.

Lets see it...seriously.

he will just never get it

so the "factual evidence" that you claim to have is a half @$$ed article that isn't even in regards to what your trying to prove. And it's only based off one season. The other 2 seasons that you claim are linked were using your word that you "remember seeing it" and "I never saw it but it can't be much better". So glad to see where your "factual evidence" is coming from.

Why is there so much hate on Stevie you want to say woods is the new #1 but what has he done yet let alone against revis or anyone in the influx I'm not saying woods is going to sick but Stevie has been nothing but productive since hes been a starter

shhh!!!! You'll be labeled a "homer" or a "kool-aid" drinker.

Another point. Calling us Stevie fans "Homers" and "Kool-Aid" drinkers is about as asinine as someone saying that the teams best WR over the past 3 years is anything but a #1 WR when he clearly is the most successful WR on the team and there are 32 teams in the league.

Now if you said "Elite" then you might have an argument. But then again I wouldn't expect you to realize that.

Edited by mrags

OK MAN HERE IT IS....https://www.profootb...wide-receivers/ breath did I put up enough???

So in other words.....your wrong.....and cant back up your "facts"

By the way....I think SJ's numbers go down this year slightly....not because he isn't a very good WR....he is...but because the guy slinging the rock is gonna want to put this speed to work on the field......

So in other words.....your wrong.....and cant back up your "facts"

By the way....I think SJ's numbers go down this year slightly....not because he isn't a very good WR....he is...but because the guy slinging the rock is gonna want to put this speed to work on the field......

so you are admitting SJ is slow here and that ej will want to throw to guys who actually get open deep right? but Im wrong how? SJ doesnt drop alot of balls for being a #1? He does, its factual

Get some more posts ;-)

my evidence of Stevie having 3 straight 1,000 yard seasons is about as much evidence as yiu say he's not a true #1.

You still haven't posted any definition of what a true #1 is. Pretty sure you won't find it anywhere.

So here's about the best thing I can say about it:

A true number 1 WR is a player that almost always draws the coverage of the opposing teams best defensive back. Stevie does that and he succeeds.

so the "factual evidence" that you claim to have is a half @$$ed article that isn't even in regards to what your trying to prove. And it's only based off one season. The other 2 seasons that you claim are linked were using your word that you "remember seeing it" and "I never saw it but it can't be much better". So glad to see where your "factual evidence" is coming from.

Another point. Calling us Stevie fans "Homers" and "Kool-Aid" drinkers is about as asinine as someone saying that the teams best WR over the past 3 years is anything but a #1 WR when he clearly is the most successful WR on the team and there are 32 teams in the league.

Now if you said "Elite" then you might have an argument. But then again I wouldn't expect you to realize that.

I mention many more facts that are indisputable as well like SJs real numbers against revis, his ypc, etc but as for drops...

Since all articles are written by people, what do you consider factual then? Do i need Roger Goodell to write you a letter? If we count all the balls thrown to stevie and divide the number of drops of catchable balls, he is in a tie for 2nd worst with those other three guys i mentioned. The other chart shows drop percentage for guys who were second or third options catching less than 50 balls a year. The first chart were teams Number 1 options like Marshall and megatron etc. Those guys had way more catches than SJ so of course they have a few more drops but not as high of drop percentage. So you didnt readthe chart correctly, not me.

Also I dont need to find charts and articles form 2-3 seasons ago, I remember reading the same numbers for SJ in 2011 he was a top ten pass dropper, and in 2010 i remember him dropping some too and thinking he had suspect hands. I dont have to provide links to every drop to be right, why dont you find an article showing how great his numbers are regarding drops in those years?

No worries. I can't respond to him bc frankly I'm tired of this debate. I've said all I need to say about Stevie and think people that want to bash him hate him more personally than professionaly.

As for Welker he is a perfect example of new football. I've stated before and "enlightener" falls in the trap of confusing the x receiver with a #1 wr. They used to be the guy on the outside who did it all. They aren't now. They are the #1 receiving option on the team. Could be x,y, or z receivers. Could be a physical freak (megatron) a move the chains type (Hines ward) or slot (Welker).

If youve actually read what I posted it youd know it doesnt matter where a guy lines up and also I dont bash stevie at all, I mention he has skills and I like him but hes not as good as some here suggest. Saying a guy is a great #2 or the 20th best WR in the NFL is far from "bashing" If i mention the drops SJ actually dropped and remark on his speed, which is factually slow, Now Im bashing him?

My definition of #1 guy is a guy that can do it all. Others say its the guy that catches the most balls on his team. Thats conveniently SJs role here making him this teams #1. Welker cant do it all. He cant go over the top of a tall DB, he cant beat many dbs deep, and hes smallish. He can out juke a LB or a 3rd CB underneath and squeak out first downs. This was tom bradys escape valve so his numbers are high, no wonder hes moved to the team with the other HOF qb.

SJ also cannot do it all. He cant beat guys deep. He also cant be relied on in the clutch, he also is now showing 3 years of injury issues. Conditioning maybe?

I finally will ask people to read my OP rather than see one response to a response and misunderstand my take. I still see people clinging to the 1000 yards and revis and SJ being our best wr. None of that makes him a complete WR. It really means our WR were so bad and slow before that SJ was all we had. Why do you think they traded for TJ and last year and for another speedster in Goodwin this year? The new coaches quickly released our big slow guys, using their second on Woods and even took a chance on a troubled Rogers. So they kept Easely but not Nelson, why? Oh yes one has something called speed. And who did the Bills just add to the roster yesterday? A scrub cut from 2 teams already but who runs a 4.17. This speaks for itself how this team was set at WR. SJ has had 0 competition on this team since Evans was traded. Of course he was our #1 But now we have 4-5 new guys who can do what evans could do but stevie cannot...Get open deep.

I think SJ may be the odd man out by the end of this season. Im saying all this and I like SJ and hope he sticks around, but I see SJ now as this teams new Nelson, our third slowish possession WR with Rogers and Woods lining up outside and SJ being replaced with graham or Goodwin when we have to go deep. Lets see if the coaches think the same.

Edited by enlightener

Yeah I gotcha; we're on the same page

so you are admitting SJ is slow here and that ej will want to throw to guys who actually get open deep right? but Im wrong how? SJ doesnt drop alot of balls for being a #1? He does, its factual

I mention many more facts that are indisputable as well like SJs real numbers against revis, his ypc, etc but as for drops...

Since all articles are written by people, what do you consider factual then? Do i need Roger Goodell to write you a letter? If we count all the balls thrown to stevie and divide the number of drops of catchable balls, he is in a tie for 2nd worst with those other three guys i mentioned. The other chart shows drop percentage for guys who were second or third options catching less than 50 balls a year. The first chart were teams Number 1 options like Marshall and megatron etc. Those guys had way more catches than SJ so of course they have a few more drops but not as high of drop percentage. So you didnt readthe chart correctly, not me.

Also I dont need to find charts and articles form 2-3 seasons ago, I remember reading the same numbers for SJ in 2011 he was a top ten pass dropper, and in 2010 i remember him dropping some too and thinking he had suspect hands. I dont have to provide links to every drop to be right, why dont you find an article showing how great his numbers are regarding drops in those years?

If youve actually read what I posted it youd know it doesnt matter where a guy lines up and also I dont bash stevie at all, I mention he has skills and I like him but hes not as good as some here suggest. Saying a guy is a great #2 or the 20th best WR in the NFL is far from "bashing" If i mention the drops SJ actually dropped and remark on his speed, which is factually slow, Now Im bashing him?

My definition of #1 guy is a guy that can do it all. Others say its the guy that catches the most balls on his team. Thats conveniently SJs role here making him this teams #1. Welker cant do it all. He cant go over the top of a tall DB, he cant beat many dbs deep, and hes smallish. He can out juke a LB or a 3rd CB underneath and squeak out first downs. This was tom bradys escape valve so his numbers are high, no wonder hes moved to the team with the other HOF qb.

SJ also cannot do it all. He cant beat guys deep. He also cant be relied on in the clutch, he also is now showing 3 years of injury issues. Conditioning maybe?

I finally will ask people to read my OP rather than see one response to a response and misunderstand my take. I still see people clinging to the 1000 yards and revis and SJ being our best wr. None of that makes him a complete WR. It really means our WR were so bad and slow before that SJ was all we had. Why do you think they traded for TJ and last year and for another speedster in Goodwin this year? The new coaches quickly released our big slow guys, using their second on Woods and even took a chance on a troubled Rogers. So they kept Easely but not Nelson, why? Oh yes one has something called speed. And who did the Bills just add to the roster yesterday? A scrub cut from 2 teams already but who runs a 4.17. This speaks for itself how this team was set at WR. SJ has had 0 competition on this team since Evans was traded. Of course he was our #1 But now we have 4-5 new guys who can do what evans could do but stevie cannot...Get open deep.

I think SJ may be the odd man out by the end of this season. Im saying all this and I like SJ and hope he sticks around, but I see SJ now as this teams new Nelson, our third slowish possession WR with Rogers and Woods lining up outside and SJ being replaced with graham or Goodwin when we have to go deep. Lets see if the coaches think the same.

I disagree. :beer:

Did you even read that article you linked to?

Here's exactly what it shows:

Stevie ranked tied for 10th in NUMBER of drops (not %) with fewer than guys like Marshall, Bryant, Cruz, and Megatron, all of whom are undoubtedly elite.

As for drop percentage, I an only conclude that you stopped reading after the first table was presented, because the very next table shows the ten players with the highest drop percentage, and none of the three you claim (Decker, Cruz, SJ) are listed.

So no, he isn't close to #1 in drop percentage. In fact he's not in the top 10.

I think you need to learn to read more carefully, lest you make silly mistakes like these

Mr. Enlightener, I'm still waiting for a response to this