Buffalo economy is on the mend

billsfan_34

It's a lofty dream I have for the city, that's all.

And Lake Placid hosted the Olympics. Lake Placid is a tiny community. The Olympics are a heck of a lot bigger than the Super Bowl.

I don't think anything is impossible.

Hell, they have a 1/32 chance like everyone else.

Lake Placid will never host again... AND the reason why they got another crack in 1980 is because Vancouver/BC (I think it was Vancouver?) bailed out late.

Lake Placid was the fall back facility.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Lake Placid will never host again... AND the reason why they got another crack in 1980 is because Vancouver/BC (I think it was Vancouver?) bailed out late.

Lake Placid was the fall back facility.

But they pulled it off. I guess I'm just trying to say that no NFL city can be ruled out .. including Buffalo.

But they pulled it off. I guess I'm just trying to say that no NFL city can be ruled out .. including Buffalo.

I understand... But the facilities were in place for a what was then much smaller Olympic undertakings... Lake Placid also hosted the 1932 Olympics... Sure, things had to be upgraded...

BFLO is a desert.

Saying the economy is on the mend is like saying the murder rate is down after everyone's been murdered! Absent significant long term tax cuts and business incentives noting much will happen. The Medical story is good BUT everyone in WNY will not be Doctors or Lawyers. Somebody has to work/build and the manufacturing capacity is gone.

I am sorry to knock BFLO. The medical thing looks promising. Detroit is headed down the same road. The only ones still standing in the new arena will be the big dogs. And for the Great Lakes region, that will be Toronto and Chicago.

Saying the economy is on the mend is like saying the murder rate is down after everyone's been murdered! Absent significant long term tax cuts and business incentives noting much will happen. The Medical story is good BUT everyone in WNY will not be Doctors or Lawyers. Somebody has to work/build and the manufacturing capacity is gone.

I agree. Again, what does BFLO bring to the table?

1. Global positioning? No.

2. Natural resources? No.

3. Favorable climate? No.

I will argue all day and night, it has simply been bypassed. All the tax breaks and incentives in the world isn't gonna put Humpty back together again. Places have to exist for a reason and be strategically located in today's world... BFLO has simply been bypassed.

Honestly, w/the medical complex... What? are people going to ship their sick off to BFLO. Research facility, I can see... But man, that is a work in progress.

Even its number one natural resource (The Lake) is only really usuable from May to September...

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'll give you my Dad's number so you can call him. His lived his whole life in WNY (84 years) he'll tell you just exactly how dead it is. For many too close to the trees for the forest. Now Buffalo may be dead but there are many parts of WNY or CNY (Finger Lakes for example) that I would consider moving to.

Buffalo may be dead to you but it would be a bit of an overstatement to say it is dead to all. Buffalo will never return to what it once was and for those of us on the board absent a southern Ontario and Toronto connection it may not retain the Bills. However, Buffalois a viable small to mid sized city that people may choose to live in.

I think the real issue is how big (or small) will Buffalo be. Perhaps the population decline has bottomed out. The availibility of jobs and economics will determine this.

Buffalo may be dead to you but it would be a bit of an overstatement to say it is dead to all. Buffalo will never return to what it once was and for those of us on the board absent a southern Ontario and Toronto connection it may not retain the Bills. However, Buffalois a viable small to mid sized city that people may choose to live in.

I think the real issue is how big (or small) will Buffalo be. Perhaps the population decline has bottomed out. The availibility of jobs and economics will determine this.

Of course it's not dead to all. Hell even the ugly chick gets laid every so often.

Ok. I can only say one thing. To some it's going to come off like I'm a homer. To others, it's going to come off like I'm an ignorant @$$hole. Or maybe it will be both.

For those that do not live in Buffalo or have not lived here in xx years. Shut the F%#K UP! Who are you to tell anyone that Buffalo is dead or that you know what is going on? You left or were never here, get over it and enjoy your new city. Even if your right, why the f%#k do you care? You don't live here. Maybe you should be on message boards dealing with your new hometowns wherever that might be.

Ok. I can only say one thing. To some it's going to come off like I'm a homer. To others, it's going to come off like I'm an ignorant @$$hole. Or maybe it will be both.

For those that do not live in Buffalo or have not lived here in xx years. Shut the F%#K UP! Who are you to tell anyone that Buffalo is dead or that you know what is going on? You left or were never here, get over it and enjoy your new city. Even if your right, why the f%#k do you care? You don't live here. Maybe you should be on message boards dealing with your new hometowns wherever that might be.

Hey buddy... That is why I go by "exiled." :-P

You'd really see BFLO crumble if we all lost passion towards it... I am coming back next week to drop some coin, keep it a float... Probaly 10's of thousands doing the same thing. Everytime I drive back, I see more and more out of town plates.

And we can't put everybody in jail so we all have decent paying jobs. We can't dig a canal to the Atlantic, you know how that turned out.

;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I've been gone for 31 years however I visit typically twice a year so I see it and read about it and hear about it from my family. Why the !@#$ do I care? My whole family, all of them are still in the are. Parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins all still live there, that's why. You don't have to live an area to know what's going on there and see what's going on. It's those of us who have actually lived someplace else that are best equiped to comment on the area seeing we have other places to compare it to. Oh and I also care because I'm from there (WNY, not Buffalo). There is still a very soft spot in my heart for the area.

I've been gone for 31 years however I visit typically twice a year so I see it and read about it and hear about it from my family. Why the !@#$ do I care? My whole family, all of them are still in the are. Parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins all still live there, that's why. You don't have to live an area to know what's going on there and see what's going on. It's those of us who have actually lived someplace else that are best equiped to comment on the area seeing we have other places to compare it to. Oh and I also care because I'm from there (WNY, not Buffalo). There is still a very soft spot in my heart for the area.

Same here. I am 541 miles away, even in the same geographic region (Great Lakes) and my wife and two children are the only family I have here... Everybody else is in WNY (few family elsewhere)... Not quite a 541 mile commute, but it feels like it @ times.

Chef and Exiled. Just trying to say that there's for once in a while some positive outlook on the city. Things may not be great but they are getting better here regardless what some say. There are more and more things to do each and every season. It's not all doom and gloom like many like to point to. Maybe your not the ones I should be yelling at. Maybe it's the ones here that constantly complain about how bad it is. If they don't like it, they can leave.

Chef and Exiled. Just trying to say that there's for once in a while some positive outlook on the city. Things may not be great but they are getting better here regardless what some say. There are more and more things to do each and every season. It's not all doom and gloom like many like to point to. Maybe your not the ones I should be yelling at. Maybe it's the ones here that constantly complain about how bad it is. If they don't like it, they can leave.

You are right. There are alot of things to do there especially in the summer. Lots of music and food events. When I say Buffalo is dead I really mean it's a shell of it's former self and that former self I'm referring to was before any of us were born. And no go ahead yell at me. If no one yelled at me I'd have no reason to come here. See, I like yelling back. And really I should be one to talk. I live in Oakland. :lol:

Your right. At the turn of the century Buffalo was booming.

Just went on a guided tour yesterday of all the grain mills downtown on the Buffalo River. During those times Buffalo had the 3rd largest port in the world. Lockport had more people coming through than Ellis Island at one point and had more millionaires per capita than anywhere in the US.

A few things that are coming to change, is that within 1-2 years there will be a new hotel, restaurants, bars and zip lining in place of the old GLP grain elevator.

Also, within the next 1-2 years there will be high end luxury condos and townhomes in place of the old freight house using original wood and stone to preserve some of the history of the area.

Ground has already broke on the GLP as there was construction going on already.

It's only a matter of time before some of the others fall. Maybe use Concrete Central as part of a facad for a new stadium???

Time will tell, but after my tour yesterday, I honestly felt like things were looking upwards. The waterfront at the arena looks beautiful. Next year they start the light show on one of the grain elevators showcasing Buffalos history, present and future.

Your right. At the turn of the century Buffalo was booming.

Just went on a guided tour yesterday of all the grain mills downtown on the Buffalo River. During those times Buffalo had the 3rd largest port in the world. Lockport had more people coming through than Ellis Island at one point and had more millionaires per capita than anywhere in the US.

A few things that are coming to change, is that within 1-2 years there will be a new hotel, restaurants, bars and zip lining in place of the old GLP grain elevator.

Also, within the next 1-2 years there will be high end luxury condos and townhomes in place of the old freight house using original wood and stone to preserve some of the history of the area.

Ground has already broke on the GLP as there was construction going on already.

It's only a matter of time before some of the others fall. Maybe use Concrete Central as part of a facad for a new stadium???

Time will tell, but after my tour yesterday, I honestly felt like things were looking upwards. The waterfront at the arena looks beautiful. Next year they start the light show on one of the grain elevators showcasing Buffalos history, present and future.

Well of course they're looking upwards. When you're at the bottom that's the only way you can look. :nana:

You are right. There are alot of things to do there especially in the summer. Lots of music and food events. When I say Buffalo is dead I really mean it's a shell of it's former self and that former self I'm referring to was before any of us were born. And no go ahead yell at me. If no one yelled at me I'd have no reason to come here. See, I like yelling back. And really I should be one to talk. I live in Oakland. :lol:

And you are from Batavia/Attica area, right... That is really a shell of its former shelf! ;-)

Same here, the part I am in Illiana (Illinois-Indiana) is a shell of its former self... BUT it is a boom town compared to what WNY went through... Steel even still comes out of here.