Glad we didn't take this guy

I looked for it but didn't see anything posted on it. If it has been, sorry

Yea I can't find it all the sudden.. Sorry about that.

I will just repeat what I said since I can't find it now.

I am a WVU fan I go to a couple games a year when I find time. Geno was really a game manager with the ability to throw farther. The thing is his biggest numbers came from Tavon Austin lots of screens and dump offs for Austin which helped pad Geno's number. Austin is a special talent IF he can keep himself healthy he will end up breaking someone's ankles (no really)

You left out this part for some reason:

"However, he did look good getting in and out of the huddle," Baldinger conceded, "getting to the line of scrimmage, getting the ball out of his hands quickly."

And those sentiments were echoed by NFL Network's Heath Evans.

"You see a lot of accuracy, a lot of zip on the ball obviously from Geno," Evans observed. "You see some balls sailing, or what I would say floating, for Mark Sanchez."

You left out this part for some reason:

"However, he did look good getting in and out of the huddle," Baldinger conceded, "getting to the line of scrimmage, getting the ball out of his hands quickly."

And those sentiments were echoed by NFL Network's Heath Evans.

"You see a lot of accuracy, a lot of zip on the ball obviously from Geno," Evans observed. "You see some balls sailing, or what I would say floating, for Mark Sanchez."

Let me guess: you wanted Smith over Manuel?

Let me guess: you wanted Smith over Manuel?

The point you are pretending to miss is that the OP neglected to point out the rest of the comments and focused his self congratulation on the report that Smith looked winded.

I was just pointing that out.

The point you are pretending to miss is that the OP neglected to point out the rest of the comments and focused his self congratulation on the report that Smith looked winded.

I was just pointing that out.

Why?

Why?

Because if your citing a short blurb as reason you are glad that we didnt get a guy and its overwhelmingly positive, but he didnt blaze through his sprints despite looking good in practice you seem driven by an agenda other than accuracy?

Accurate, good zip, decisive and gets the ball out quick and led the offense in and out of the huddle well but last place in the sprints at the close of practice.... It just doesn't ring truthful to only mention the sprints

Edited by NoSaint

Because if your citing a short blurb as reason you are glad that we didnt get a guy and its overwhelmingly positive, but he didnt blaze through his sprints despite looking good in practice you seem driven by an agenda other than accuracy?

Accurate, good zip, decisive and gets the ball out quick and led the offense in and out of the huddle well but last place in the sprints at the close of practice.... It just doesn't ring truthful to only mention the sprints

He's a pro athlete and auditioning to be the face of a franchise, he should report to camp in shape. And failure to do so is the negative that jumps off the page.

Showing up out of shape is poor form no matter what his spirals look like.

Why?

Oh, I gotcha---"because I like Smith". How's that? Did I say it right?

Hard to believe you had to type all that NoSaint.

I always give doc the benefit of the doubt when he does this, so I'll say I think he probably knew what was being alluded to with my post.

He's a pro athlete and auditioning to be the face of a franchise, he should report to camp in shape. And failure to do so is the negative that jumps off the page.

At least he didn't injure himself doing those first sprints and head to the whirlpool on day 1 of camp.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Be honest: any stumble is what would've jumped off the page for you, no? Of course you want to see him look perfect but whether a bit tired or maybe dogging a sprint of two (neither of which are good, I agree) the fact that he looked good all day til the last drill totally goes without mention?

Just saying it irked me a bit when I saw the reports the day of, and agreed with WEOs take here once it got into a spat over whether or not the rest was worth mention.

If I'm a jet fan I take this report much happier than the 3-12 with 3 ints that were being reported after some OTAs

Oh, I gotcha---"because I like Smith". How's that? Did I say it right?

Hard to believe you had to type all that NoSaint.

I always give doc the benefit of the doubt when he does this, so I'll say I think he probably knew what was being alluded to with my post.

At least he didn't injure himself doing those first sprints and headed to the whirlpool on day 1 of camp.

He clearly knew, but I figured I'd being the meat and potatoes of the debate straight to the table

Be honest: any stumble is what would've jumped off the page for you, no? Of course you want to see him look perfect but whether a bit tired or maybe dogging a sprint of two (neither of which are good, I agree) the fact that he looked good all day til the last drill totally goes without mention?

Just saying it irked me a bit when I saw the reports the day of, and agreed with WEOs take here once it got into a spat over whether or not the rest was worth mention.

If I'm a jet fan I take this report much happier than the 3-12 with 3 ints that were being reported after some OTAs

He clearly knew, but I figured I'd being the meat and potatoes of the debate straight to the table

Thanks--you stated it better than I.

I get your point. And the tactic was well aligned with what you see in typical media spin jobs, highlight facts supporting your case, omit facts against it.

Other facts predating this report are these:

Show up to camp in shape is typically a factor completely under the players own control.

Geno's stock had plummeted due to character concern not his abilities in the draft.

One of the symptoms common to Players with character concerns in the past has been off season conditioning discipline.

This report in a small but not insignificant way does provide another little tid-bit that aligns with the concern.

I'm glad the Bills drafted EJ over Smith too, but let's not live in perpetual fear that Smith is going to turn out to be the real deal.

Not sure about the general consensus, but I could care less if Geno succeeds or not because I am so sure EJ will be far better.

The concern about EJ was the "mental" aspect of the game?

Ha he's more poised and mature than most vets in the league. This guy is going to be a superstar.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Geno was tackled by the invisible turf monster in the Jets' preseason opener and sprained his ankle in the process. On this play where he hurt himself, he stumbled and looked to be a bit plumper than I remember him looking last year in Morgantown.

And now everyone associated with the Mountaineer football program is talking about a lack of leadership during the 2012 season:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/11/geno-smiths-former-teammates-coach-lament-lack-of-leadership-in-2012/

The guy really is a marvelous talent but coming into camp out of shape (especially after all the rumors of his diva-esque behavior during team visits) and now this?

That character assassination piece by ProFootballWeekly wasn't so far off the mark after all I guess.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/11/geno-smiths-former-teammates-coach-lament-lack-of-leadership-in-2012/

The guy really is a marvelous talent but coming into camp out of shape (especially after all the rumors of his diva-esque behavior during team visits) and now this?

That character assassination piece by ProFootballWeekly wasn't so far off the mark after all I guess.

We will see - definitely not a good omen for smith to hear things like that so public. A question that begs to be asked is where were the coaches in this leadership void. Obviously the qb is HUGE and it sounds like weight wasnt being pulled... But the big question (and one that's been lingering for months) is what the hell was going on behind closed doors there? Did the big 3 totally sell the team down the river? Was the coach also an issue? That team melted down to the tune of giving up 50+ ppg over a 2 month stretch and all we have are vague comments about leadership? Insinuations that losing 3 guys to the nfl makes them better?

Sounds like a lot of dysfunction last year, sounds like a good chance there will be more to come this year. I always feel like either you take it head on and call a spade a spade, or better yet leave it in the past. Making vague comments publicly feels like excuses and a lack of accountability....

Agreed pfw gets a nod as it sounds the sources were likely real.

Edited by NoSaint