( OT ) 63 LBS and couting

Talonz

About 4 months ago I posted I had lost about 30 lbs...

I am here to announce that about 9 months after starting to RUN nightly that I am past the 60 lb mark ( 63 to be exact ).

This is what I have found out so far:

Fad diets are a WASTE . Cut down your damn portions and you can still enjoy pizza, ice cream, etc. I did stop Mc. D's and the like all together.. YUCK ..SHHITT food.

Exercise is a MUST - I started walking about .5 miles a night. I kept building up speed, distance, then back to speed. I now run AT LEAST 3 miles a night, 5-6 days a week. I run in the snow, wind , rain, everything! When the weather breaks I will go back to my routine of 6 miles x 6 days a week. I can do 3 miles in crap weather in about 32 minutes - 6 miles during good weather right at about an hour.

STOP DRINKING POP!! I drank 5-8 Cokes/Pepsis a day. I am down to 1 a day during dinner, 2 on the weekends.

Propel water by Gatorade - A life saver - Tastes GREAT and is on 20 calories for 16.9 OZ !

Get the BEST running shoes you possibly can. I almost destroyed my joints the first few weeks before I discovered NIKE SHOX. A PERFECT shoe for those of us that are heavy up top :P

Get a good MP3 player - I killed my first Rio now I have moved up to the Creative Zen Micro...I BLAST music while running so I don't think about what I am doing ;) Mind over matter.

Anyways, my goal is 100 lbs and I plan to hit it late spring - I will post my before / after pictures :w00t:

Anways, I am off :(

About 4 months ago I  posted I had lost about 30 lbs...

I am here to announce that about 9 months after starting to RUN nightly that I am past the 60 lb mark ( 63 to be exact ).

Fad diets are a WASTE .  Cut down your damn portions and you can still enjoy pizza, ice cream, etc.  I did stop Mc. D's and the like all together.. YUCK ..SHHITT food.

Exercise is a MUST - I started walking about .5 miles a night. I kept building up speed, distance, then back to speed. I now run AT LEAST 3 miles a night, 5-6 days a week.  I run in the snow, wind , rain, everything!  When the weather breaks I will go back to my routine of 6 miles x 6 days a week.  I can do 3 miles in crap weather in about 32 minutes - 6 miles during good weather right at about an hour.

STOP DRINKING POP!!  I drank 5-8 Cokes/Pepsis a day.  I am down to 1 a day during dinner, 2 on the weekends.

Propel water by Gatorade - A life saver - Tastes GREAT and is on 20 calories for 16.9 OZ !

Get the BEST running shoes you possibly can.  I almost destroyed my joints the first few weeks before I discovered NIKE SHOX.  A PERFECT shoe for those of us that are heavy up top :P

Get a good MP3 player - I killed my first Rio now I have moved up to the Creative Zen Micro...I BLAST music while running so I don't think about what I am doing ;)  Mind over matter.

Anyways, my goal is 100 lbs and I plan to hit it late spring - I will post my before / after pictures :w00t:

203643[/snapback]

Talonz - that's awesome. Congratulations. You make a great point - you have to exercise and increase what you do over time to get further results (because your metabolism adjusts to your smaller frame).

I've lost 15 pounds in the last six months - I would like to lose five more over the next three, but regardless I feel better than I have in many years because of the better diet and exercise. Finding the time and discipline to commit to such a thing is hard but well worth it.

Man, now THIS is exactly the type of post I wanted to see right about now......I've gained about 50 lbs in the last year and I am so ready to put the events of the last 12 months (and the depression that came along with it) behind me and get myself back where I need to be. Your post is truly an inspiration and I'm psyched that you have done it the way you have. I do things slightly differently than you, but same principles. You are dead on right about the sodas and the eating. Sodas are just empty calories. Depriving yourself of your favorite foods will only make you miserable. Like you said, just eat in moderation and get off your ass :P

Great job, man......keep up the good work.......I hope to be following in your footsteps very soon ;)

About 4 months ago I  posted I had lost about 30 lbs...

Fad diets are a WASTE .  Cut down your damn portions and you can still enjoy pizza, ice cream, etc.  I did stop Mc. D's and the like all together.. YUCK ..SHHITT food.

Exercise is a MUST - I started walking about .5 miles a night. I kept building up speed, distance, then back to speed. I now run AT LEAST 3 miles a night, 5-6 days a week.  I run in the snow, wind , rain, everything!  When the weather breaks I will go back to my routine of 6 miles x 6 days a week.  I can do 3 miles in crap weather in about 32 minutes - 6 miles during good weather right at about an hour.

STOP DRINKING POP!!  I drank 5-8 Cokes/Pepsis a day.  I am down to 1 a day during dinner, 2 on the weekends.

Get the BEST running shoes you possibly can.  I almost destroyed my joints the first few weeks before I discovered NIKE SHOX.  A PERFECT shoe for those of us that are heavy up top :P

Get a good MP3 player - I killed my first Rio now I have moved up to the Creative Zen Micro...I BLAST music while running so I don't think about what I am doing ;)  Mind over matter.

203643[/snapback]

Thanks man...You're an inspiration to all us fat fukkers.

Fad diets are a WASTE.

Exercise is a MUST.

STOP DRINKING POP!!

Get the BEST running shoes you possibly can.

Get a good MP3 player.

203643[/snapback]

What an example.

No books, tapes, CDs, DVDs, cards, programs, pills, drinks, exercise machines.

No government study required.

Eat less. Exercise more.

It's amazing how far self-discipline can propel you.

Man, now THIS is exactly the type of post I wanted to see right about now......I've gained about 50 lbs in the last year and I am so ready to put the events of the last 12 months (and the depression that came along with it)  behind me and get myself back where I need to be. Your post is truly an inspiration and I'm psyched that you have done it the way you have. I do things slightly differently than you, but same principles. You are dead on right about the sodas and the eating. Sodas are just empty calories. Depriving yourself of your favorite foods will only make you miserable. Like you said, just eat in moderation and get off your ass :P 

Great job, man......keep up the good work.......I hope to be following in  your footsteps very soon ;)

203648[/snapback]

Yeah I second that!!! Exactly what I needed while trying to dump about 50 pounds! I second the running, it's a must! Although I top out at about 3 now, usually hit about 2.

Talonz,

Please keep telling us about your losses. I like others, found it very interesting and motivating. You are dead on about the running shoes - The Beast by Brooks is or has been one of the top rated running shoes for larger people by Consumer Reports. Tell me your life situation now. Are you single with a ton of time on your hands or you like the majority and slammed with family and work committments??? If you are married with kids I give you even more credit. I am fighting that lazy factor lately and can't keep following through with my exercise plan. At the moment, I mentally can not give exercise too much attention. What caused you to make this life change?? Are you grouped with other people for support and running partners??? Above all else, keep it up. Go to a gym and lift a 60lb dumb bell and think that you were carrying that around you for along period of time.

It's good to hear that - congrats - and keep going, you'll do it.

I dropped 25 lbs three years ago and have not gained it back. I did not use the fad diets, instead I exercised more, cut back the amount of food, and dropped snacks.

Now, my diet has morphed into one that is low on fats, protein, salt, and sugar and uses low glycemic index complex carbs (rye/pumpernickel/grain breads, oatmeal, spinach pasta, etc.), fresh veggies, and fruit. Sure, I still have wings, pizza, and a Zweigles but that is an exception relegated to some Sundays. My cholesterol is 25% lower and I recently ran a 7:08 minute mile. In my mid-forties, I am pleased with that but my goal is mid sixes.

Eating healthy is not too difficult at home but presents a challenge when you go out. But once you understand caloric and diet nuances, you can find something on a menu that tastes good and is relatively healthy.

It can be done solo but it helps if your partner is into the weight loss thing and healthy diet modification. My wife is also athletic and in amazing shape and has adapted her cooking to this healthy diet. She didn't need to lose weight but wanted to eat healthier. Another impact is that my children look to eat healthy, too. They will eschew a pastry and select a fruit. The veggie selection is still limited for them but they always like fresh carrots and broccoli.

Great job man! You must feel great! I love when I see someone running in pouring rain or snow or sh------- condiditons. Thats when you truly become a runner. My father has runs every Sunday morning and has only missed two days the last 30 years of Sundays. No matter what the condition is he is out running. Keep up the good work man!

Talonz,

Please keep telling us about your losses. I like others, found it very interesting and motivating. You are dead on about the running shoes - The Beast by Brooks is or has been one of the top rated running shoes for larger people by Consumer Reports. Tell me your life situation now. Are you single with a ton of time on your hands or you like the majority and slammed with family and work committments??? If you are married with kids I give you even more credit. I am fighting that lazy factor lately and can't keep following through with my exercise plan. At the moment, I mentally can not give exercise too much attention.  What caused you to make this life change?? Are you grouped with other people for support and running partners??? Above all else, keep it up. Go to a gym and lift a 60lb dumb bell and think that you were carrying that around you for along period of time.

203805[/snapback]

It's always easier for me to eat right than exercise. Being a former military man, I'm used to working out in the AM. But with a toddler to get ready for school each morning, I now find that I am going to have to work out at lunch. It's going to be hard to adjust but it HAS to be done. My family has a history of diabetes and I do NOT want that to be me.

Great job Talonz, congratulations! And to all of you aspiring to lose weight this year. Best of luck to you! I found eating 5-6 small meals each day helps to drop pounds even without exercise. Also you eat something every 2-3 hours so don't get hungry as much.

Here's a sample of my menu daily:

Breakfast: Bowl of cereal with 2% milk. (raisin bran or cheerios, nothing sugary)

Snack: Small yogurt and a handfull of almonds.

Lunch: Turkey breast sandwich on wheat bread with spicy mustard (0 calories) you'd be surprised how many calories ketchup and condiments have. Also a handful pretzel nuggets.

Snack: Granny Smith Apple and another peice of fruit. (plum, banana or something like that)

Dinner: Baked or grilled boneless chicken breast with rice and a veggie.

Snack: Granola bar or more fruit.

Water all day long but if I need something "sweeter" I drink diet Snapple. 0 calories and the raspberry tea tastes great. :P

Talonz,

Please keep telling us about your losses. I like others, found it very interesting and motivating. You are dead on about the running shoes - The Beast by Brooks is or has been one of the top rated running shoes for larger people by Consumer Reports. Tell me your life situation now. Are you single with a ton of time on your hands or you like the majority and slammed with family and work committments??? If you are married with kids I give you even more credit. I am fighting that lazy factor lately and can't keep following through with my exercise plan. At the moment, I mentally can not give exercise too much attention.  What caused you to make this life change?? Are you grouped with other people for support and running partners??? Above all else, keep it up. Go to a gym and lift a 60lb dumb bell and think that you were carrying that around you for along period of time.

203805[/snapback]

Thanks for everyones kind words!!!

I am married with 2 children and work in the IT field. I run after they go to bed - My neighbor calls me the "Midnight Runner" :doh: I have a somewhat isolated neighborhood so I am lucky. I can run late at night and sometimes only run into 1 or 2 cars. The police that patrol my hood know me now so they just wave, which is cool. At the beginning they stopped me a few times, which is fine be me! Good ole Cheektowaga!

I did this life change alone, without anyone really prodding me. My wife loves me no matter what I guess :doh: heheheh. She is still smokin, so I had to try to keep her happy !

I carried a 50lb bag of cat litter a while back. I can't believe I had that much weight on my frame :)