Supreme Court Voting Rights Act Decision — Section 4 invalid

if multiple states have voter id laws, then they are not racist...that's the reasoning ,correct? that's like saying if the confederate states supported slavery then it's not racist. but in reality both are racist: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/10/voter-id-laws-racism

As a white American, that's your shared legacy. Your forefathers practiced instiututional racism. How does that make you more likely to practice institutional racism in the future? Do you embrace that ugly part of your legacy?

He's actually making an ugly statement, not an idiot one.

He's saying that because the grandparents of people living in those areas practiced institutional racism; that those living there today are automatically racist by legacy and lineage.

rest assured, i'd never ask or allow you to speak for me. i'm saying that the legacy exists, not that it's universally handed down. new racists are made everyday.

Edited by birdog1960

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if multiple states have voter id laws, then they are not racist...that's the reasoning ,correct? that's like saying if the confederate states supported slavery then it's not racist. but in reality both are racist: http://www.motherjon...-id-laws-racism

rest assured, i'd never ask or allow you to speak for me. i'm saying that the legacy exists, not that it's universally handed down. new racists are made everyday.

I don't have a dog in this fight but will you please stop sourcing motherjones? Do you not realize you just make yourself look even more hyper partisan.

FYI we have voter ID laws here. Is that also racist?

if multiple states have voter id laws, then they are not racist...that's the reasoning ,correct?

that's like saying if the confederate states supported slavery then it's not racist.

No..........thats not the reasoning

No..............its not like saying that at all.

You obviously have a blind spot here.

Just feel free to ignore my posts as you are doing EXACTLY what you complain about...............and that is mis-stating everyone's replies.

if multiple states have voter id laws, then they are not racist...that's the reasoning ,correct? that's like saying if the confederate states supported slavery then it's not racist. but in reality both are racist: http://www.motherjon...-id-laws-racism

No, it's saying that voter ID laws aren't racist; just like drivers licence laws aren't racist. They are both designed to make sure that only those who qualify to participate in a privlidged activity are able to do so without facing penalty. The law doesn't permit disenfranchisement based on race.

bull ****, that's exactly what you're saying. If it wasn't what you're saying then nothing you said follows logically. Are you just stringing random words together?

Voter ID cards are free in states with voter ID laws. So that removes "well, they can't afford a driver's license" as an argument. And if they need a way to get there, there's public transit. Or better yet, ask the Dems who are so willing to bus and drive people to the polls on election day.

if multiple states have voter id laws, then they are not racist...that's the reasoning ,correct?

What is it about voter ID laws that you think is racist? Please explain this to me. It's not like it's voter ID laws just for blacks. It's for everyone.

So please explain the racism.

What is it about voter ID laws that you think is racist? Please explain this to me. It's not like it's voter ID laws just for blacks. It's for everyone.

So please explain the racism.

Because minorities can't get their hands on ID cards for some reason or another which I would consider a thought process that is racist...

Because minorities can't get their hands on ID cards for some reason or another which I would consider a thought process that is racist...

Appreciate that, but I'd like to think he has a better reason than that. What say you birddog? Why are vote IDs racist?

Appreciate that, but I'd like to think he has a better reason than that. What say you birddog? Why are vote IDs racist?

there are a disproportionate number of poor, old and black citizens without photo id. now, if everyone carried a photo id for national health insurance, that wouldn't be an issue. why is it that voter id is such a pet issue of republicans and detested by democrats? answer that and you have your answer. but why not national photo id cards? what's the argument against that? the whole thing goes away if that's enacted.

it appears ontario has this. http://www.ontario.ca/government/ontario-photo-card. don't know about the rest of canada. seems such an easy solution....what's the hold up?

Edited by birdog1960

there are a disproportionate number of poor, old and black citizens without photo id. now, if everyone carried a photo id for national health insurance, that wouldn't be an issue. why is it that voter id is such a pet issue of republicans and detested by democrats? answer that and you have your answer. but why not national photo id cards? what's the argument against that? the whole thing goes away if that's enacted.

it appears ontario has this. http://www.ontario.c...ario-photo-card. don't know about the rest of canada. seems such an easy solution....what's the hold up?

Because voter I.D. laws should prevent the precincts that are dominated by democrats from having over 100% voter participation. Why national I.D. cards when we should just be encouraging every state to require voter I.D.?

it appears ontario has this. http://www.ontario.c...ario-photo-card. don't know about the rest of canada. seems such an easy solution....what's the hold up?

Ontario is a country?

there are a disproportionate number of poor, old and black citizens without photo id. now, if everyone carried a photo id for national health insurance, that wouldn't be an issue.

Ah, socialized medicine. Is there anything it won't fix? :lol:

Ah, socialized medicine. Is there anything it won't fix? :lol:

yeah, not surprised that wasn't a popular plan with you all. how bout photos on social security cards? a year's grace to get it done at no cost to the citizen, no benefits without doing it after that? what would be the objection there?

yeah, not surprised that wasn't a popular plan with you all. how bout photos on social security cards? a year's grace to get it done at no cost to the citizen, no benefits without doing it after that? what would be the objection there?

Think! How often would you have to renew your S.S. card just to update the photo? Any chance of bad things happening with that? I could be wrong but most or all states already have photo I.D. thru their drivers licenses. Watcha think, do 90% of the people over 18 have a license? Does it get renewed with a new picture every 2-3 years? The issue then becomes how you deal with the other 10%. From my experience, the DMV's are tasked with providing photo I.D.'s to that 10%. What could be simpler than what is or should be going on in all states? Besides, states are in charge of voting, not the federal government. The Constitution spells out what powers the Federal government has, the rest is up to the states. We've already had too much enchroachment on that as it is.

Think! How often would you have to renew your S.S. card just to update the photo? Any chance of bad things happening with that? I could be wrong but most or all states already have photo I.D. thru their drivers licenses. Watcha think, do 90% of the people over 18 have a license? Does it get renewed with a new picture every 2-3 years? The issue then becomes how you deal with the other 10%. From my experience, the DMV's are tasked with providing photo I.D.'s to that 10%. What could be simpler than what is or should be going on in all states? Besides, states are in charge of voting, not the federal government. The Constitution spells out what powers the Federal government has, the rest is up to the states. We've already had too much enchroachment on that as it is.

i know plenty of people that don't drive, have a car or likely ever will do either. for just a moment, remove yourself from whatever current reality you live in and imagine yourself in someone else's (it could happen to me or even to you). i then have a few hundred bucks for food, heat and shelter for the next couple of weeks. am i likely to spend it on getting a photo id?

so why not make it compulsory and easily available? still haven't read an explanation.

and, btw, the interpretation of the constitution appears quite liquid these days as evidenced by the recent scotus rulings.

and, if i'm not mistaken, i need to update my passport photo every 10 years. pain in the ass? maybe. onerous and undoable? nope.

Edited by birdog1960

Children born during the late 50s and early 60s are the one's whose educational opportunities were being beneficially affected by Brown and it's progeny. Unfortuanately, the majority of the Brown thrust came during the early 60s. Some deep south schools held out into the 70s.

Remember, into the late-50s, you had Orville Faubus (spelling?) directing the state police to block entry of black students into white schools.

Those students are now in their 40s and 50s and their kids are graduating high school and entering college. Some are just getting into the professional world. This is the burgeoning second generation. We should see soon if the income/professional disparity continues to exist.

Over the next 15-20 years we should be getting away from affirmative action programs because there would no longer be a justification for them.

The problem with critical race theory, which Tasker touched on but I'll expound on, is that it treats people as groups rather than individuals.

My conlaw professor (who taught CRT rather than conlaw) said you have to hold back the white people to help the black people catch up b/c the white people have a head start. This ignores the reality that individuals rise and fall rather than groups. Should a white kid born into lower economic status take comfort in the fact that other people his color are doing well?

i then have a few hundred bucks for food, heat and shelter for the next couple of weeks. am i likely to spend it on getting a photo id?

Well gee golly, that would be one heck of a moderately uninteresting story if they actually charged for the voter photo IDs.

i know plenty of people that don't drive, have a car or likely ever will do either. for just a moment, remove yourself from whatever current reality you live in and imagine yourself in someone else's (it could happen to me or even to you). i then have a few hundred bucks for food, heat and shelter for the next couple of weeks. am i likely to spend it on getting a photo id?

so why not make it compulsory and easily available? still haven't read an explanation.

and, btw, the interpretation of the constitution appears quite liquid these days as evidenced by the recent scotus rulings.

and, if i'm not mistaken, i need to update my passport photo every 10 years. pain in the ass? maybe. onerous and undoable? nope.

Well, unless you live in Manhattan, you need new friends. So, a photograph every 10 years if it comes from the fed, is better than one every 2-3 years if it come from a state? What's the problem if it's free?

It would appear to me Yuri, that you're working on attaining a post on the central planning committee. Can't you just like divulge a bunch of secrets and fly off to Moscow?