What is the highest speed you have driven car or truck.

millbank

105 in a Chev Tahoe. That's only when I'm trying to change a light on the Runway and the Tower tells me they have an Airbus on a 6 mile final.

Ah, an airport electrician.

My friend had a Chevelle SS all tricked out. That thing was a monster, I tried the quarter mile once, I smoked the tires too much and ended up sideways.

Especially because Lancaster is only an 8th mile strip, a lot of the street rods I grew up with had 4.10 and 4.11 rear axles so as a result, they didn't have a lot of top end.

My 1970 Cutlass Supreme (350 Rocket) had me over 100 mph a few times. As a passenger my buddy actually tricked out a big Olds Delta 88 that his uncle gave him. This car had the 455 engine and we buried the needle on that one a few times which was pretty scary. With that soft suspension, you lost the feeling of control, especially in the passenger seat. That same buddy ended up dying in a motorcycle accident.

My wife's Genesis Coupe has a rev limiter which keeps the car to 150 mph but I'll probably never get it past 90 mph. Nothing to gain and too much to lose.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic is near and dear to me since I have a thing for speed.

160 on my bike on the way to Brockport NY

145 in my BMW on the Merritt parkway in CT.

Annnnnnd, we have a winner for the "how are you still alive?" contest!!!

For those who have never driven the Merritt in SW CT, that's a speed that's almost hard to believe. The longest straighaway on the MP is about 20 feet.

For those who have never driven the Merritt in SW CT, that's a speed that's almost hard to believe. The longest straighaway on the MP is about 20 feet.

on my way to work on the 17 between Binghamton and Monticello I would set my cruise at 85-90mph and never hit my brakes once. Anyone that's ever traveled that stretch of road can appreciate the difficulty of that stretch. 90+ degree turns at times.

A little over 100 in a compact rental car in New Mexico years ago. Not sure of the exact speed, because my focus was on (1) not killing anybody, and (2) scanning the horizon for cops. After skiing, I decided to take a scenic detour through some mountains on the way to the airport. The nice straight line on the map had a ton of switchbacks for miles, and put me WAY behind schedule to make the flight home.

When I finally got out of the mountains, I told my significant other - - "If we miss our flight and have to buy 2 last minute tix on a different flight, it will cost us more than the speeding ticket, even with the insurance bump." She said "Go for it" and closed her eyes for the next 30 minutes or so.

Never crossed paths with a cop, and just barely made our flight.

I don't recommend it.

It was not all that hard to do was on my way to Stamford from Trumbell doing around 120 when I started hitting the hills around fairfield I was able to get the speed up a bit higher.

You are right that most people would have been in trouble but I have been lucky that I did the Skip Barber at Lime Rock and a few of the races that they offer after that. (all curtsy of BMW USA)

My chevelle had 4:10 gears and ran on 104 octane. Used get gas at airport on clinton street. Then they stop selling it to street cars. If you would trailer they would sell the stuff. Would drive and gas from amoco on broadway in lancaster. Those were the days.

Often when I purchased a new vehicle have looked at speedometer and pondered just how fast the car could travel, but rather have had the courage or been so stupid to see what the top speed I could drive a particular car or truck. Thinking on it 80 miles per hour is about the highest i have driven this testing a Ford Taurus out in the country was nervous about getting caught speeding or harming myself or others for that matter. Can recall riding in car with salesmen between Winnipeg and Regina, This nut reached speeds of 110 +.. This the fastest speeds in car I have experienced. Scary as anything... Simple question what is the highest speed you have reached in your vehicle and for what reason. What is the highest speed in a car, truck or motorcycle you have experienced?

Not much in the speed demon thing but I did hit 103 on the QEW on the way to T.O. in my GF's Lexus , and she wanted to do more even...

Glad I was driving that day :)

on my way to work on the 17 between Binghamton and Monticello I would set my cruise at 85-90mph and never hit my brakes once. Anyone that's ever traveled that stretch of road can appreciate the difficulty of that stretch. 90+ degree turns at times.

I know that route well; I made the drive from CT to Cortland many times in the 90s when Smith Corona was my client (3:20 was my fastest time). Rt 17 between Liberty and Binghamton is one of my favorite drives anywhere.

Yeah, I have to call bull **** on that one. I don't want to disbelieve it...but I've been on the Merritt, and I can't see how it's physically possible.

I know that route well; I made the drive from CT to Cortland many times in the 90s when Smith Corona was my client (3:20 was my fastest time). Rt 17 between Liberty and Binghamton is one of my favorite drives anywhere.

i also love the drive. When I'm not doing it 4 times every 12 days. My car was built for that stretch. Just hugs those turns like nobody should be able to at high speeds.

From door to door, Cheektowaga to Fallsburg, my best time was probably around 3:30, maybe even less.

I just bought an 09 maxima last week. Today there was an emergency at work and someone was needed to deliver some equipment from ttulsa to Lincoln, NE. We determined I could beat the airlines, so off I went. three hours into the trip, I thought of this tthread. 120 and still accelerating like mad! I photoed tthe speedo but I wont post it. Northern kansas is beautiful! At a pizza pub next to the university now. Drinking fat tires. Awesome calzone! Lotsa college cuties! Nice little downtown scene.

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

Love this topic!

I've gotten around 130-140 in two different VW Passats. One w/ turbo engine and one w/ V6. There's a computerized speed governor around 128 IIRC, but if you're going downhill you can push past it. (EDIT: I wasn't really looking at he speedometer as it was a little nerve racking going so fast but when I glanced down it was just above 135 in the V6 and the other time I looked down as I let off the gas and it was dropping from a little over 130.)

My dad had a 97 or 98 Subaru Legacy GT Limited with some modifications. I got the needle bouncing on the end of the speedometer (120) on the QEW. I have no clue how fast I was going but def went quite a bit faster than the gauge could show.

I recently got a Ford Fusion w/ a V6 that I've only got up to just over a 100. I read there's a governor on it topping out at 112 which is fine with me since I shouldn't be driving that fast anyway, I'm trying to cut back on some of my recklessness as I approach the age of 30.

Then again, my dad has a 95 Porsche 911 that I get to drive once in a blue moon. I've only gotten that up to 90, but I haven't been too far outside the city limits the few times I've had a chance to drive it. One of these days tho, I'd like to open that bad boy up. The speedometer goes to 180!

Edited by uncle flap

I just bought an 09 maxima last week. Today there was an emergency at work and someone was needed to deliver some equipment from ttulsa to Lincoln, NE. We determined I could beat the airlines, so off I went. three hours into the trip, I thought of this tthread. 120 and still accelerating like mad! I photoed tthe speedo but I wont post it. Northern kansas is beautiful! At a pizza pub next to the university now. Drinking fat tires. Awesome calzone! Lotsa college cuties! Nice little downtown scene.

Sorta sounds like you were a stranger in a strange and wonderful land . . .

First off I am not stupid anymore. At least not in the speeding category......If you read my post, you will know why.......

I used to drive a 97 ford mustang. I used to drive 100 mph almost every single day of my life....There was a stretch on the 105 freeway that I could get away with it. I did this for about 3 years. Till I totalled it driving 80+ on the streets. Some truck got in my way. Ooops. The insurance company put me 20% liable for speeding.

I had a race on the LA streets doing 80+ with some random dude. This may not sound like a big deal right, with the exception of my wife being 8 months pregnant. In my defense, I did ask my dumb wife at the time. Can I race this guy? She said YES. Omg we were stupid.

I raced a cop. A freaking cop. He gave me the "look". I THOUGHT IT WAS THE "LOOK". We were both doing like 60 on the street. When he pulled me over I told him "I thought you wanted to race" He said, "You must be the most stupidest person alive. Why would I race with a civilian? Im a police officer" He also cursed at me pretty bad. But he let me go. The way I got away with it is kept putting myself down. He would say I'm stupid. I would pretty much repeat the same stuff. "I'm so sorry. You are right. I'm so stupid" Stuff like that.

I have so many stories. I could write a book about the subject. I also had a 84 or 82 porsche 944.

Put it this way. For a short stretch of like 10 years, my coworkers didnt want to ride in the same car with me if I was driving.

You know, what the heck. Last story. I went to a stupid company softball game. I invited my girlfriend and my mom. The porsche sat 2 in the front and 2 in the back. The 2 in the back were made for like 7 year olds or something or midgets. Anyway my mom embarassed me somehow in front of my girlfriend. So on our way back I drove 110 on the freeway. Put mom in the back seat. My mom crying her butt off to slow down. Now whenever we bring this up, we just laugh at how stupid that was. I had the windows down so her hair was blowing all over the place. That is still funny to this day. lol

I am so lucky to be alive. Also I think Chef said you have to drive 80 just to keep up with traffic in la. That is pretty much accurate. I mean you can do 70, but you will passed so much that eventually you will move it to 80 yourself. This is true today. Not like 10 years ago.