How do you guys/gals handle job recruiters contacting you...

The Poojer

with great opportunities, but when you are very happy in your position and the money isn't really enough to sway your decision? How far along the process would you go? How would you handle this process with your current employer, if you have a very good working relationship with your boss? Curious as to how others handle things like this. I will say its a great ego stroke.

I would suggest that you have a solid professional working relationship with a couple of recruiters you trust. I would be cautious and respectful about what you do with your current employer. Many would not take it well if it looks like you are persistently fishing.

Nothing wrong with understanding opportunities that are out there but understand how they relate to what you want and what is god for your career.

i'm not fishing, this opportunity came to me from a former co-worker that couldn't relocate for the position. I am very happy where I am, but it is a major company, and frankly right now my company is trying to rebuild/rebrand itself. in the end, the money would be slightly better, but it's a major company that would look great on my resume, but I am almost 50 so i really don't need to be impressing people at this point in time. I know what i want to do, stay put, but i also don't want to not go through at least part of the process..i don't want to be NOT considered should things change down the road

I would suggest that you have a solid professional working relationship with a couple of recruiters you trust. I would be cautious and respectful about what you do with your current employer. Many would not take it well if it looks like you are persistently fishing.

Nothing wrong with understanding opportunities that are out there but understand how they relate to what you want and what is god for your career.

i'm not fishing, this opportunity came to me from a former co-worker that couldn't relocate for the position. I am very happy where I am, but it is a major company, and frankly right now my company is trying to rebuild/rebrand itself. in the end, the money would be slightly better, but it's a major company that would look great on my resume, but I am almost 50 so i really don't need to be impressing people at this point in time. I know what i want to do, stay put, but i also don't want to not go through at least part of the process..i don't want to be NOT considered should things change down the road

Have an honest conversation "hey I'm thrilled you'd consider me but right now isn't the right time. I'm happy where I'm at and wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the project I'm working on at this juncture. I would really like to establish a professional connection with this opportunity, but I don't want to waste your time when I don't intend to leave. I hope you can keep me in mind for future opportunities."

ok, but where should i do that? I have done the phone interview with the recruiter and then with the hiring manager to discuss the job details and where I could fit in...next step would be in person if that were to be the case, and the recruiter said it probably will be...have i already gone too far? i did send the recruiter a note yesterday about my feedback and asked some general questions...how long was the person i am replacing in the role, work environment, dress code(that's very important to me), etc, she sent me their benefits package(they are very expensive)...like i said, i want to avoid leading them on, which i may already be guilty of doing, but in actuality all i have done is here about the job description and requirements so far

Have an honest conversation "hey I'm thrilled you'd consider me but right now isn't the right time. I'm happy where I'm at and wouldn't feel comfortable leaving the project I'm working on at this juncture. I would really like to establish a professional connection with this opportunity, but I don't want to waste your time when I don't intend to leave. I hope you can keep me in mind for future opportunities."

ok, but where should i do that? I have done the phone interview with the recruiter and then with the hiring manager to discuss the job details and where I could fit in...next step would be in person if that were to be the case, and the recruiter said it probably will be...have i already gone too far? i did send the recruiter a note yesterday about my feedback and asked some general questions...how long was the person i am replacing in the role, work environment, dress code(that's very important to me), etc, she sent me their benefits package(they are very expensive)...like i said, i want to avoid leading them on, which i may already be guilty of doing, but in actuality all i have done is here about the job description and requirements so far

Hmmm gets a bit murkier. Probably have to trust your guy on this one. You could always lie a bit, and have a sudden change in situation that takes you out if you feel your too deep to just say "I'm sorry but as long as you require pants I'm just not interested"

Edited by NoSaint

Remember that you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you.

Be honest upfront that you have a good job that you like, but you are interested in hearing about the position. If they sell themselves to you great, take the new job. If they don't, no worries, you have a job you like.

They came looking for you. You're in the driver's seat on this deal. Drive.

Remember that you are interviewing them just as much as they are interviewing you.

Be honest upfront that you have a good job that you like, but you are interested in hearing about the position. If they sell themselves to you great, take the new job. If they don't, no worries, you have a job you like.

They came looking for you. You're in the driver's seat on this deal. Drive.

Exactly. You should NEVER stop looking for a new job. There's absolutely no harm in doing an in-person interview. Do it, learn more about the company and the role, and see if you like it. If so, take it. If not, stay where you're at.

One word of advice that you can take or leave: NEVER NEVER NEVER take a counter-offer from your current employer. Those were words of wisdom imparted to me early on in my career, and it makes sense. You can ask for more money/responsibility/whatever BEFORE you turn in your notice, but once you turn it in, you've made up your mind so don't change course.

thanks for the feedback guys. i am in a good place at my current job, sure the lure of a really big/strong company is strong, but sometimes its just not the right time...granted had they bitten on my initial salary requirements, i absolutely would have leapt and no one would have faulted me for it

i do it by being very collaborative in my jobs, i work well with other teams and try to learn how what i do touches other teams upstream and downstream...you gain knowledge and trust from your co-workers, they leave and they remember you when opportunities present themselves...has happened in my last few positions...Circuit City people contacted me and brought me to GSI/ebay...ebay people contacted me at my current position....former co-worker contacted her recruiter about me for this opportunity...

I'm wondering how I can get recruiters to contact me for jobs!

i do it by being very collaborative in my jobs, i work well with other teams and try to learn how what i do touches other teams upstream and downstream...you gain knowledge and trust from your co-workers, they leave and they remember you when opportunities present themselves...has happened in my last few positions...Circuit City people contacted me and brought me to GSI/ebay...ebay people contacted me at my current position....former co-worker contacted her recruiter about me for this opportunity...

I've had this help me already by doing just what you say. I'm always looking for new opportunities and well more money. It would be nice if they were looking for me too! :D

Mine go something like this.

"Hello, this is ___Ronald_____ calling from __McDonalds___ please call me back at your earliest [voicemail deleted]

I'm not going anywhere but right here until I retire.

i would think if the company was at all vindictive, they let you accept the counter offer, dismiss the other offer....then shortly thereafter they can your ass for wanting to leave in the first place...

Curious why you say this. I would think your leverage would be at its highest once you do tender your notice.