Sports Writers, Social Media and The Fourth Wall

IDBillzFan

In live theater you're taught to never lose character while on stage because it breaks what is referred to as "the fourth wall," the imaginary wall between the characters on stage and the audience. If you break character on stage, you shatter the wall and are no longer seen as, say, Willy Loman, but rather as the guy whose bio is in the playbill. Consequently, your performance loses credibility and effectiveness.

Social media has altered the relationship between sports writers and their audience. Twitter has allowed us to follow the writers who report on the Bills, Sabres, etc., and opened up a bi-directional portal of immediate communication that in times past were relegated to your basic, tortoise-like "Letter to the Editor," assuming it even got published.

I mention this because I follow people like John Wawrow and Tim Graham on Twitter, and the differences in their presence are interesting to say the least. JW may interact with some people, but I don't ever think I've seen him turn or bicker with anyone who disagreed with him. Graham, on the other hand, doesn't hesitate to tell people to F off and stop following him. JW is able to interact here with the readers in a positive way, and even discuss opposing views without throwing a fit. TG, on the other hand...well....I follow him in a Charlie Sheen kinda way.

They can do whatever they want, but I'm curious what you, their loyal readers, think.

Do you prefer the JW high-road or the Tim Graham 'shove it' approach. Does it even matter to you? Does the Tim Graham approach change the way you perceive and respect his work, and alternately, do you prefer JW would get in your face more on Twitter?

I've been very outspoken about Mr. Graham and his online behavior, dating back to 2009 when he threw his infamous TSW **** fit.

Here and there since then, I've talked with sports reporters from just about all the major Chicago outlets, giving him or her the TG v TSW situation as a hypothetical, and every time he or she is flabbergasted that a media professional would ever conduct himself that way.

Also, here's a personal exhibit of the very behavior you speak of (I've posted this here before, scroll up to read the conversation from the beginning): https://twitter.com/BillsandBeers/status/315167421377957889

I think the media has no place on forums, it breaks down their credibility as unbiased reporters and is akin to trying to be friends with those you cover. Respectable journalists avoid forums and social media fights.

I've been very outspoken about Mr. Graham and his online behavior, dating back to 2009 when he threw his infamous TSW **** fit.

Here and there since then, I've talked with sports reporters from just about all the major Chicago outlets, giving him or her the TG v TSW situation as a hypothetical, and every time he or she is flabbergasted that a media professional would ever conduct himself that way.

Also, here's a personal exhibit of the very behavior you speak of (I've posted this here before, scroll up to read the conversation from the beginning): https://twitter.com/BillsandBeers/status/315167421377957889

Am I the only one that didn't see anything wrong with the conversation there?

The worst offender of all if them is Mike "I have a journalism degree so F off" Harrington. Reading his twitter feed and reactions to people who disagree with him is torture. The guy is such a hack. No professionalism at all.

I'm not a twitter guy myself. I just read through TGs page and was a bit shocked to see how he handled himself in some of his conversations. Seems like a pompous ass from the few pages I read. Is that the case with him? Or did I just read bad example?

I like most of jws pieces and some of his feedback on tsw. I wasn't a fan of the way he got his message across in the "bills whine about schedule" thread. I thought it was a bit much considering the fact that our opponents have an extra 4-6 days to prepare in 31% of our games (50% of our division games). The Pats have 0%. Sure we have front loaded home games and play a game in Toronto, but the nfl could've done a MUCH better job spreading It out. Those extra days off can be a big advantage in game planning, while allowing players more time to heal up. It IS an advantage. Players still need to go out and execute, I know....but 31% of our games is a bit much considering multiple teams don't have a disadvantage once. Is our season over because of this? No, but does that mean the nfl shouldn't be called out for it? No, they should. And we did. And I'm glad they did. Some people view it as whining. Some view it as voicing their opinions regarding something that could have an effect (yes, it could) on our record.

The worst offender of all if them is Mike "I have a journalism degree so F off" Harrington. Reading his twitter feed and reactions to people who disagree with him is torture. The guy is such a hack. No professionalism at all.

This is true. Harrington is a chump.

I think Tim Graham is a pretty good writer, and the "hissy fit" referred to above wasn't a hissy fit on Graham's end, but by other posters who were seemingly offended by his thin skin. Graham didn't make 30 pages of posts about his departure, "we" did.

On Graham leaving TSW, that was a choice that any of you would likely make if you were constantly insulted, asked to betray the trust of others, and/or badgered in a variety of ways.

IIRC, basically he asked for some civility, which I think is reasonable. In the end I believe he said something like, "I came here because I enjoyed the interaction, and now I no longer enjoy it."

I don't see anything wrong with that. Some claim he's putting himself on a pedestal. Well, if that's your interpretation, fine.

As far as the insults and stuff on twitter, it's always in response to be antagonized. I find it funny when he clowns someone who deserves to be clowned. Sure, "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all," but if someone asks a stupid question or questions one's integrity, I don't see anything wrong with defending one's position the way he does. It's entertaining and some of you need to lighten up.

I've had a few interactions with Graham on twitter and they've been nothing but pleasant. But if someone asks a question, doesn't like the answer, and then insults the answerer... I mean, come on.

I'm not a twitter guy myself. I just read through TGs page and was a bit shocked to see how he handled himself in some of his conversations. Seems like a pompous ass from the few pages I read. Is that the case with him? Or did I just read bad example?

All day, every day.

I really have no use for sports writers and do not read their stuff, and I certainly do not follow any on Twitter or any other social media. I do not care about their opinions. I watch things like sportscenter to see scores and the highlights of things I missed. I generally don't even watch the talking heads on Sundays before games or during halftime.

About the only sports opinions I read are on here :)

I think the media has no place on forums, it breaks down their credibility as unbiased reporters and is akin to trying to be friends with those you cover. Respectable journalists avoid forums and social media fights.

I'd say it is akin to trying to 'be social' with those who read your work, not those you cover.

my first and last post in this thread. i'm staying out of it. promise.

jw

I have a bottle of Jameson's with your name on it. If you are interested in it please reply to this post. :D

Am I the only one that didn't see anything wrong with the conversation there?

There's no reason for a media professional to respond the way he did. His response should have been no response. He approaches every question like he has an axe to grind, and in spite of what uncle flap recalls, it was that attitude that drew the kind of derision from TSW that led to his crowing "fine, then I'll just take my ball and go home" moment.

There's no reason for a media professional to respond the way he did. His response should have been no response. He approaches every question like he has an axe to grind, and in spite of what uncle flap recalls, it was that attitude that drew the kind of derision from TSW that led to his crowing "fine, then I'll just take my ball and go home" moment.

I understand what you're saying. I follow TIm on twitter too. I get the feeling that most of his responses are sarcastic. I think that's just how he is.

That's the great thing about twitter though. If you don't like someone you can unfollow them. I did that with Skip Bayless and a few others.

I understand what you're saying. I follow TIm on twitter too. I get the feeling that most of his responses are sarcastic. I think that's just how he is.

That's the great thing about twitter though. If you don't like someone you can unfollow them. I did that with Skip Bayless and a few others.

I can't believe anyone follows Skip Bayless to begin with.

Tim is a douche on twitter. His retweets are annoying and he seems like a girly man getting into cat fights. The only reason to follow him is his bills blog, and I often find myself unfollowing him after his all too often cat fights that he feels the need to retweet to all his followers

In live theater you're taught to never lose character while on stage because it breaks what is referred to as "the fourth wall," the imaginary wall between the characters on stage and the audience. If you break character on stage, you shatter the wall and are no longer seen as, say, Willy Loman, but rather as the guy whose bio is in the playbill. Consequently, your performance loses credibility and effectiveness.

Social media has altered the relationship between sports writers and their audience. Twitter has allowed us to follow the writers who report on the Bills, Sabres, etc., and opened up a bi-directional portal of immediate communication that in times past were relegated to your basic, tortoise-like "Letter to the Editor," assuming it even got published.

I mention this because I follow people like John Wawrow and Tim Graham on Twitter, and the differences in their presence are interesting to say the least. JW may interact with some people, but I don't ever think I've seen him turn or bicker with anyone who disagreed with him. Graham, on the other hand, doesn't hesitate to tell people to F off and stop following him. JW is able to interact here with the readers in a positive way, and even discuss opposing views without throwing a fit. TG, on the other hand...well....I follow him in a Charlie Sheen kinda way.

They can do whatever they want, but I'm curious what you, their loyal readers, think.

Do you prefer the JW high-road or the Tim Graham 'shove it' approach. Does it even matter to you? Does the Tim Graham approach change the way you perceive and respect his work, and alternately, do you prefer JW would get in your face more on Twitter?

You have a good take here and it's something I've thought about. In general i liked it better in the old days when I didn't know the snarky side of media members. All i knew of them was through an article or column. Now that everyone's instant opinion is "out there" it seems like the majority of the media folks are jerks. I think they want to make news (or initiate change within a sports team they cover) instead of reporting on it. So to answer your question, I prefer the JW approach. Don't get confrontational with people, just ignore them. Many of the Buffalo News sports staff seem like pompous A-holes. Sullivan actually seems less inflammatory on twitter than he does in the paper which is the opposite of everyone else.

Edited by zow2

Oh, I don't follow him. No no no. I would never do him that satisfaction.

I do have him 'listed' though for a Hootsuite Bills Media stream. (that sentence might give some TSW users the spins)

Look, journalists, by way of employment and publication are granted authority via authorship. That's their gig. The only person who can rightfully challenge that authority is their editor. Nobody else matters. Yet, Mr. Graham seems driven to e-smite anyone who dare question his authority. It's not only that he chose to be snarky, rather it's almost more baffling he opted to respond at all. That's what makes him a douche. He's not even secure enough in his own authority to not pick little cat fights whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Edited by taC giB ehT

The Buffalo News Press Coverage is the best thing to happen to Bills reporting since TwoBillsDrive.

Tim Graham's articles are usually extremely well written and insightful.

That being said he does respond like Jay and Silent Bob to typical internet BS. I imagine he has a list and The Big Cat is definitely on it.

Him being adversarial doesn't effect my opinion of his writing. I like it.

JW is much better dealing with the public. I like his writing as well. I feel like JW is a huge contributor on TBD. (Like TG used to be.) If the buffoon's on TBD drove JW away that would be (another) shame.

There are plenty of people that I don't personally like but may have insightful opinions and point of view. Liking someone personally or disliking someone personally shouldn't effect judging their work product. I hate Jerry Sullivan because his writing is unfair and extremely negative. I had a drink with him at the bar once. He was ok. Although after reading one of his TP articles I wish I would have tipped him off his barstool.

(Not calling The Big Cat a buffoon. His TG crusade is separate from some of the completely unfair and idiotic attacks that TG stupidely engaged. The Big Cat is a great contributer)