Brown bear in my neighbors trash

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in New Hampshire for a family gathering with the soon to be inlaws. I walked into another room away from everyone and spotted a black bear in the backyard a out ten yards from the house. We had just grilled some burgers so I'm guessing that was what drew it in.

They've lived here for about 25 years and they've never had one in their yard. It was pretty big too. I got a cell phone picture but unfortunately it doesn't do it justice. I've never seen a bear anywhere but the zoo, so this was a very interesting moment

They are looking for the easily found food. I take it is our strict enviromental laws that are pushing them into towns. Back in the day before closed tranfer stations (garbage and recycling), weren't open dumps a magnet for the animals? Take a town like Long Lake, NY (they even use black bears on their town logo since God knows when)... If you wanted to see bears, one visited the open dump... They NEVER came into town, even know the town uses them on their logo. Again, we are the land of unintended consequences. With everything sealed up and transferred away... Where do you think they are going to rummage for food? Lick the BBQ? Try to scratch/tear its way into the new Ford F-150 who's owner left remnants of a Big Mac on the front seat? The thing is, make sure you clean the BBQ very well, they get cranky when they are hungry and only have been living on berries and grubs! Nothing like a Big Mac attack! ;-) :-P

I'm in New Hampshire for a family gathering with the soon to be inlaws. I walked into another room away from everyone and spotted a black bear in the backyard a out ten yards from the house. We had just grilled some burgers so I'm guessing that was what drew it in.

They've lived here for about 25 years and they've never had one in their yard. It was pretty big too. I got a cell phone picture but unfortunately it doesn't do it justice. I've never seen a bear anywhere but the zoo, so this was a very interesting moment

There have been numerous recent black bear sightings in WNY as they migrate north from the southern tier. There is almost certainly a small population in Southern Erie County and a juvenile black bear was hit and killed by a vehicle on the 190 near downtown a few years ago.

There have been numerous recent black bear sightings in WNY as they migrate north from the southern tier. There is almost certainly a small population in Southern Erie County and a juvenile black bear was hit and killed by a vehicle on the 190 near downtown a few years ago.

Again... Land of unintended consequences. Everything has to balance out. I am not saying that we go back to the out of whack environment policy of the past. But, for every action there is a reaction. In many places there seems to be a booming white tail population. Coyotes are already all over the place... What is going to take for big cats to start REpopulating the old haunts in the heavily populated east?

Again... Land of unintended consequences. Everything has to balance out. I am not saying that we go back to the out of whack environment policy of the past. But, for every action there is a reaction. In many places there seems to be a booming white tail population. Coyotes are already all over the place... What is going to take for big cats to start REpopulating the old haunts in the heavily populated east?

Interesting question.

Mountain Lion used to range across virtually all of the United States. One of it's many names, Catamount (also cougar, puma, panther) is the name of the University of Vermont sports teams.

While they were extincted in most of the Eastern U.S. their populations are now growing and their range is spreading back into the Midwest.

However they are fairly solitary creatures who avoid human contact and have low population densities so it's hard to say.

There were news stories here in Boston all throughout the summer last year about a black bear being spotted on Cape Cod. That whole period was a lot of fun. The thing had to either walk across the bridge in the middle of the night or swim over. I'd love to be the guy driving across the bridge at 2 AM and doing the "what the hell was that" double take.

As for the bear in NH this weekend, I think I just was lucky to be looking out the window at just the right time. It was more than likely just passing through. If it had any interest in the charcoal grill at all, it would have had to walk right up to the house. Now that would have really freaked out everyone.

In two weeks I have seen a red fox and a coyote in my backyard of suburban Columbus OH.

Interesting how the environment is making a comeback. Last year near @ my work in South Chicago, bald eagles are now roosting again, literally on top of old Super Fund sites. The Chicago police wanted to put an outdoor gun range in the area... That got the kabosh when the bird people found out eagles are making a comeback. Something good is happening to the environment. First eagle nest in Chicago since the 1880's. Even know eagles are off the endangered list... The federal law they cite is probably the Migratory Bird Act of 1918. ??

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-13/news/ct-met-gun-range-20120313_1_police-gun-range-shooting-range-bald-eagles

"Chicago police are scuttling plans for an outdoor shooting range on the Southeast Side less than a month after the discovery of the first bald eagle nest in the city since the 1880s, officials said Monday.

A pair of eagles have built a massive nest along the Calumet River next to a marshy industrial site that police have long coveted for a shooting range. The eagles' presence remained unknown until a bird-watcher spotted a mature adult and younger bird while touring the site last month with a public radio reporter, prompting a closer look by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Illinois Department of

Natural Resources."

Even though the national bird of the United States has been taken off the endangered species list, federal law gives it added protection. The Chicago Police Department would have been required to obtain a special permit to build the shooting range so close to the eagle's nest.

Watch for rabies and I could not be be more serious. When wild animals go out of there environment or act odd, think rabies.

I live within a half a mile to a state park that is heavily wooded and has a very large reservoir, along with some farm land right near by.

I got a laugh out of the comments expressing shock that there was drinking at a church picnic. The Catholic lawn Fetes I went to in Buffalo where drunken orgy's.

And growing up in Cheektowaga, they had to have Polka Bands at the beer tent.

When my dad went to visit the pastor house to schedule my bother's christening (1968), he came back drunk about four hours later, with my mom yelling at him. The priest broke out Chivas Regal and Cuban cigars. He said that for people to give more money yu had to give them something for it, beer, a band, and a car raffle.

And growing up in Cheektowaga, they had to have Polka Bands at the beer tent.

When my dad went to visit the pastor house to schedule my bother's christening (1968), he came back drunk about four hours later, with my mom yelling at him. The priest broke out Chivas Regal and Cuban cigars. He said that for people to give more money yu had to give them something for it, beer, a band, and a car raffle.

So true! Were you @ St. Josaphat's Wacka? My grandmother would cook dinner for my grandfather and the priest, afterwards they would proceed to get sloshed, drinking through the evening. LoL... The good old days in the Polish community! They lived right up William (across from the old orphange), stones throw from the parish... I suppose he stumbled on back to the rectory... LoL...

So true! Were you @ St. Josaphat's Wacka? My grandmother would cook dinner for my grandfather and the priest, afterwards they would proceed to get sloshed, drinking through the evening. LoL... The good old days in the Polish community! They lived right up William (across from the old orphange), stones throw from the parish... I suppose he stumbled on back to the rectory... LoL...

I used to take violin lessons from one of the nuns at the Immaculate Heart of Mary orphanage.

Seems like ages ago.

I used to take violin lessons from one of the nuns at the Immaculate Heart of Mary orphanage.

Seems like ages ago.

Wow... Small world (does help we are on a BFLO board... :lol: ). My granmother lived almost right across the street. If I recall, they closed the orphange in the late 1970's or 1980's? Didn't they have a pool with a slide? I remember wanting to be an orphan... :lol: Not that my parents weren't seriously thinking about obliging my request! LoL...

Father Malikowski at Resurrection.He was pastor when they built the current church. Josephat's was a JFK church, our mortal enemies. As one of our teachers called them "The boys from Sloan."

Wow... Small world (does help we are on a BFLO board... :lol: ). My granmother lived almost right across the street. If I recall, they closed the orphange in the late 1970's or 1980's? Didn't they have a pool with a slide? I remember wanting to be an orphan... :lol: Not that my parents weren't seriously thinking about obliging my request! LoL...

I didn't get in trouble, but when my parents were fed up they "threatened" to send me there. Was back there in May, the land is still empty.