Brown bear in my neighbors trash

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that a younger bear? It might just be tough to tell from the perspective of the picture, but it is smaller than I expected. I'm not exactly familiar with black bears though.

Yeah that was a small brown. F&G thought 1-2 year old. Black looked average adult to me. They really wanted to shoot that brown bear. Said they are far more dangerous in a urban environment then a black because they are so much more aggressive in protecting there food cache. Grizzly they shoot, blacks catch and release with a ear tag.

My kids' elementary school was on lockdown a couple weeks ago due to a bear that wandered down out of the mountains and was nosing around the neighborhood. It passed by about a block from my house, and was eventually tranked, tagged & trucked.

Kids were cool with it, but as a parent you get a nasty chill when you're at work and get an automated phone call that starts off with "(Your child's) elementary school is currently under lockdown....."

Yeah that was a small brown. F&G thought 1-2 year old. Black looked average adult to me. They really wanted to shoot that brown bear. Said they are far more dangerous in a urban environment then a black because they are so much more aggressive in protecting there food cache. Grizzly they shoot, blacks catch and release with a ear tag.

You're still talking about bears....right?

My kids' elementary school was on lockdown a couple weeks ago due to a bear that wandered down out of the mountains and was nosing around the neighborhood. It passed by about a block from my house, and was eventually tranked, tagged & trucked.

Kids were cool with it, but as a parent you get a nasty chill when you're at work and get an automated phone call that starts off with "(Your child's) elementary school is currently under lockdown....."

The street I took those pictures on actually boarders a elementary school playground. Bears are just everyday things.

Look at all those aspens.

Is there a gully down there that the bears use as a path?

Small creek.

The street I took those pictures on actually boarders a elementary school playground. Bears are just everyday things.

I actually wasn't too concerned once I heard it was a small black bear. It's the mountain lions that worry me. Now those are some pretty sneaky predators.

Except a salmon.

True, but that's such a predicable mass arrival of prey in a confined area it just doesn't seem the same as a mountain lion crouching on a tree branch waiting for a lone deer.

On the other hand a mountain lion will only go so far as to raid livestock on a ranch. Otherwise they have a very high aversion to human contact.

Bears are much more bold in terms of visiting civilization, raiding campsites, etc.

true you could live in mountain lion country for years and never see one. Edited by Jim in Anchorage

On the other hand a mountain lion will only go so far as to raid livestock on a ranch. Otherwise they have a very high aversion to human contact.

Bears are much more bold in terms of visiting civilization, raiding campsites, etc.

It is true that verified mountain lion attacks on humans are rare. I remember 7+ yrs ago a mountain biker was eaten by a lion down in Whiting Ranch Park, in the O.C. And in the '90's another mountain biker was attacked on Mt. Lowe, which is quite close to my place (I can see it from my window). There have been a few sightings around the surrounding towns, these past few summers.

It is true that verified mountain lion attacks on humans are rare. I remember 7+ yrs ago a mountain biker was eaten by a lion down in Whiting Ranch Park, in the O.C. And in the '90's another mountain biker was attacked on Mt. Lowe, which is quite close to my place (I can see it from my window). There have been a few sightings around the surrounding towns, these past few summers.

This is the kind of action we need for that other thread where we talk about how much we hate bikers. :devil:

I'm in New Hampshire for a family gathering with the soon to be inlaws. I walked into another room away from everyone and spotted a black bear in the backyard a out ten yards from the house. We had just grilled some burgers so I'm guessing that was what drew it in.

They've lived here for about 25 years and they've never had one in their yard. It was pretty big too. I got a cell phone picture but unfortunately it doesn't do it justice. I've never seen a bear anywhere but the zoo, so this was a very interesting moment