Gender Wage Gap Myth?

In my personal experience, I do find that men tend to negotiate for higher wages and more responsibilities. Not in some drastic way, but that is what I've seen in my professional experience.Not that it means anything what I have seen relative to what is actually going on throughout the economy...

Same "exposure" last fall.....................but, it will never stop, just look at how the "female student is discriminated against" narrative continues on.

Wage gap myth exposed — by feminists

Christina Hoff Sommers | Huffington Post

November 04, 2012

If you believe women suffer systemic wage discrimination, read the new American Association of University Women (AAUW) study Graduating to a Pay Gap. Bypass the verbal sleights of hand and take a hard look at the numbers. Women are close to achieving the goal of equal pay for equal work. They may be there already.

How many times have you heard that, for the same work, women receive 77 cents for every dollar a man earns? This alleged unfairness is the basis for the annual Equal Pay Day observed each year about mid-April to symbolize how far into the current year women have to work to catch up with men's earnings from the previous year. If the AAUW is right, Equal Pay Day will now have to be moved back to early January.

The AAUW has now joined ranks with serious economists who find that when you control for relevant differences between men and women (occupations, college majors, length of time in workplace) the wage gap narrows to the point of vanishing. The 23-cent gap is simply the average difference between the earnings of men and women employed "full time." What is important is the "adjusted" wage gap-the figure that controls for all the relevant variables. That is what the new AAUW study explores.

One of the best studies on the wage gap was released in 2009 by the U.S. Department of Labor. It examined more than 50 peer-reviewed papers and concluded that the 23-cent wage gap "may be almost entirely the result of individual choices being made by both male and female workers." In the past, women's groups have ignored or explained away such findings.

"In fact," says the National Women's Law Center, "authoritative studies show that even when all relevant career and family attributes are taken into account, there is still a significant, unexplained gap in men's and women's earnings." Not quite. What the 2009 Labor Department study showed was that when the proper controls are in place, the unexplained (adjusted) wage gap is somewhere between 4.8 and 7 cents. The new AAUW study is consistent with these findings. But isn't the unexplained gap, albeit far less than the endlessly publicized 23 cents, still a serious injustice? Shouldn't we look for ways to compel employers to pay women the extra 5-7 cents? Not before we figure out the cause. The AAUW notes that part of the new 6.6-cent wage-gap may be owed to women's supposedly inferior negotiating skills -- not unscrupulous employers.

http://www.aei.org/article/society-and-culture/race-and-gender/wage-gap-myth-exposed-by-feminists/

http://finance.yahoo...-190653888.html

Turns out this bogus line about women making $0.70 for every $1 a man makes is utter bull ****. Of course, some of us have known this for years.

I posted something in another thread awhile back that pointed out that the Stimulus money went in a large part to propping up jobs such as teachers, healthcare workers and government employees, jobs dominated by women. Women have actually gained somewhere near 600,000 jobs since the recession hit while men have lost 10 times that amount of jobs in higher paying manufacturing, transportation type jobs. I know this isn't a direct correlation to your OP, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Same "exposure" last fall.....................but, it will never stop, just look at how the "female student is discriminated against" narrative continues on.

http://www.aei.org/a...d-by-feminists/

So it would appear that the only places that there are serious wage gaps between men and women are in the White House and Nancy Pelosi's office?

Anyone who's ever worked with a woman knows exactly why they get paid less... because they don't work as much.

Well, that's never been my experience, so I'm calling you out on this one. I've been involved with furthering the careers of many females and they moved up because they deserved it. Your remarks are petty but mostly ignorant.

I'm thinkin' unbillevable might just be on to something there. I believe women work just as hard as men, and often harder; what I don't believe is that women are putting in the same amount of time on the job, or as unbillevable said, "...work as much." All too often, I see women leaving work for matters that could be handled by men, but typically aren't, e.g., child care issues, shopping.

Not being critical here, just observing the passing parade in workplaces I've observed.

Edited by Keukasmallies

I'm thinkin' unbillevable might just be on to something there. I believe women work just as hard as men, and often harder; what I don't believe is that women are putting in the same amount of time on the job, or as unbillevable said, "...work as much." All too often, I see women leaving work for matters that could be handled by men, but typically aren't, e.g., child care issues, shopping.

Not being critical here, just observing the passing parade in workplaces I've observed.

And if we are going by anecdote, men eff about a lot more than women. In my office, the women are mostly busting their butt all day and the men are goofing around more. Women in my office tend to be way more diligent than their male counterparts.

Well, that's never been my experience, so I'm calling you out on this one. I've been involved with furthering the careers of many females and they moved up because they deserved it. Your remarks are petty but mostly ignorant.

Answer this question:

Do you think that women are allowed more excuses to leave work then men? Children having problems? Personal Issues? Maternity leave? Weddings, Funerals, Birthdays? Girlfriends, In-laws, grand-children in town? Doctor's appointments for kids and husband? Mother's day?

I would say men are allowed 1 excuse: That they're hung over because of the game last night. Every other instance they're told to "man up" and take it; Go to work and support your family.

And if we are going by anecdote, men eff about a lot more than women. In my office, the women are mostly busting their butt all day and the men are goofing around more. Women in my office tend to be way more diligent than their male counterparts.

I've worked in office settings, and restaurants (where women out-number the men) and also in construction and manufacturing (where men outnumber the women) and I have to say that the anecdote of which gender works more diligently is actually more a reflection of the company and environment. There really isn't much difference there. Sometimes it's the guys that are goof-offs and sometimes it's the girls.

But I think, in this culture, we tend to be harsher on the guys to provide for their family by staying at work, while allowing the women to do same by letting them leave.

It has been my experience they also tend to be MUCH more organized and detail oriented.

And hotter.

We regret that this comment makes the LGBT community uncomfortable and under appreciated, so please note that all people look hotter to at least someone, so referencing one gender that looks hotter to you is not considerate to those who may be hotter to others who don't appreciate the hottness of those who are not hot to you or others.

Next time, please first think of the LBGT community before you think about anyone else when making such comments.

Thank you.

We regret that this comment makes the LGBT community uncomfortable and under appreciated, so please note that all people look hotter to at least someone, so referencing one gender that looks hotter to you is not considerate to those who may be hotter to others who don't appreciate the hottness of those who are not hot to you or others.

Next time, please first think of the LBGT community before you think about anyone else when making such comments.

Thank you.

Would it help if I added that there are a number of guys that are hotter than some of the butchy lesbos out there?

Could that explain why most daytime posters on TSW are men?