Why are Lawson and Branch missing?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on all counts there o' sphere o' beer!

I caught that clip too, and his saying, (from the transcript on bb.c) was a flag:

“This tempo is something,” said Alan Branch following practice. “I don’t think no matter how hard I trained at home, there was no way I was going to be ready for what we just did and only thing you can do is go out there and practice and get yourself into the shape and get used to the tempo that they have on offense.”

Translation - he's way behind and unfit (literally) to be with the 2s. That said, he does have time to get into shape, but he's behind the 8 ball right now. Time to get to work and do the work.

+1 Good to see Marrone is running a tight ship and these vets are saying whew this is a fast pace.

Just a hunch, but these excused absences from voluntary workouts may well find them unemployed by final cut down. New team with a new coaching staff? They'd have to be exceptional players to overcome their voluntary absence. I don't think they are..

Just a hunch..

That would be pretty shocking, if for no other reason than it would be a big black eye for the organization.

Just a hunch, but these excused absences from voluntary workouts may well find them unemployed by final cut down. New team with a new coaching staff? They'd have to be exceptional players to overcome their voluntary absence. I don't think they are..

Just a hunch..

On any other team, I would feel the same way. But it isn't like they have a ton of competition. The only other player for the NT position is Troup (though I guess Dareus could be figured in there too), and that really isn't hard to overcome. For OLB, there are a lot more bodies, but hardly players that are cemented in at even making the team. So I think on a team where those two positions have below average talent, they don't have to be exceptional players to make the team.

Though it is obvious they have a lot to prove given that they aren't playing with the 1st team yet. It will be more telling when they go into training camp, imo

I didn't even know there was a Branch on the team... Lawson I know and like very much... I have to look this guy Branch up and see why you guys are so disappointed...

Damn this really IS a new team for me cuz usually this time of year I know all the players names and jersey numbers...

Try to keep up man!

Just a hunch..

This goes back to my earlier question about whether either or both players mentioned their wives pregnancies to the Bills at the time of their signings.

Lawson signed with the Bills on March 13th. Branch signed with the Bills on April 2nd.

Assuming the children were born 3 weeks ago, Lawson's wife was over 7 months pregnant and Branch's wife was 8 months pregnant at the time their husband signed with the team.

It's hard for me to believe that the pregnancies and their effect on OTA participation was not a part of the conversation when the players signed with the Bills but who really knows?

This goes back to my earlier question about whether either or both players mentioned their wives pregnancies to the Bills at the time of their signings.

Lawson signed with the Bills on March 13th. Branch signed with the Bills on April 2nd.

Assuming the children were born 3 weeks ago, Lawson's wife was over 7 months pregnant and Branch's wife was 8 months pregnant at the time their husband signed with the team.

It's hard for me to believe that the pregnancies and their effect on OTA participation was not a part of the conversation when the players signed with the Bills but who really knows?

the Buffalo News article posted on TBD should answer that question. They were both 'grandfathered' in as to the time off. Everything up front and above-board for both.

I could give two shitz about what went on in the past. They're in camp now and it's up to them to produce. If they don't - for whatever reason - they could be out of a job. End of story.

Edited by Nanker

I could give two shitz about what went on in the past. They're in camp now and it's up to them to produce. If they don't - for whatever reason - they could be out of a job. End of story.

I guess you mean you COULDN'T give two schitz, because if you COULD, then you do care at least two schitz worth.

From the quotes in this article, sure doesn't sound like Marrone or Pettine saw it as big as an issue as people on here....

http://www.buffalonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20130612/SPORTS/130619663/two-bills-drive-1004

“What coach said to me makes a lot of sense: ‘If you’re not happy at home, you’re not going to be happy here.’ So he allowed me to go back to my family and tend to my family’s needs.”

Defensive coordinator Mike Pettine has little doubt both Branch and Lawson will get up to speed quickly.

“It was family first,” Pettine said. “It was more important for those guys to be at home, but they’re professionals. They had their iPads. They had access to what we were doing, the practice tape, the installations. So those two guys, to me, would be the least of our worries going into training camp.”

Well, as with any player, if they don't produce, they most likely will be out of a job

the Buffalo News article posted on TBD should answer that question. They were both 'grandfathered' in as to the time off. Everything up front and above-board for both.

For obvious reasons, many of us don't read the News as much as we used to.

Thanks for mentioning that.

As I said, it's hard to believe that the team was unaware of these impending births.