Is Jim Kelly ill ?? (update - has cancer)

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the guy is OK, but please stop with the "he is the greatest" comments. If you were unlucky enough to run into "Jimbo" at a bar in his playing days you would realize how much of a jerk he was. His post career has been a complete mess. Take a look at the success of other past QBs that were his contemporaries. Obviously Marino and Elway had more brains than Jimbo. His whole ownership thing with the Bills is a complete joke. Hope the best for his health, but please just fade away and find something to do other than the Bills. Bruce Smith did it right-just go away.

I hope the guy is OK, but please stop with the "he is the greatest" comments. If you were unlucky enough to run into "Jimbo" at a bar in his playing days you would realize how much of a jerk he was. His post career has been a complete mess. Take a look at the success of other past QBs that were his contemporaries. Obviously Marino and Elway had more brains than Jimbo. His whole ownership thing with the Bills is a complete joke. Hope the best for his health, but please just fade away and find something to do other than the Bills. Bruce Smith did it right-just go away.

Like Miami much ??

That's the thing about Facebook. You'll get posts like that. "Please pray for my husband. He is going in for surgery tomorrow. He has an ingrown toenail." :rolleyes:

Hahaha, yeah. The worst is Vaugebooking. When people post things like "OMG, praying for this to end." It sounds like someone is being abused by their husband, but usually it's something ridiculously banal like the person in front of you has 12 items in the 10 items or less line.

That's why I only use Facebook status updates for the only two things it should ever be used for: Bitching about sports and quoting random song lyrics.

How is Marino a success post-career? Because he's an analyst on CBS? So is Shannon Sharpe, so that argument works against you. Jim's family issues with Hunter's illness put things in perspective. There are more important things than football. He's a big charity and community supporter and enjoys his life away from the field while still supporting his team on Sundays. He's a lot of fun to hang out with if you ever get a chance, he just would prefer to not get swarmed in public.

Arse-hole post of the year. Congratulations.

Edited by eball

How is Marino a success post-career? Because he's an analyst on CBS? So is Shannon Sharpe, so that argument works against you. Jim's family issues with Hunter's illness put things in perspective. There are more important things than football. He's a big charity and community supporter and enjoys his life away from the field while still supporting his team on Sundays. He's a lot of fun to hang out with if you ever get a chance, he just would prefer to not get swarmed in public.

Pretty good gig at CBS-Kelly tried the analyst thing and got canned by ESPN. What does Sterling Sharpe have anything to do with my argument?? Again, I dont wish anything bad for the guy, just making the point that others have done much better after retirement. He's a borderline Hall of Famer that choked in the big game.

Arse-hole post of the year. Congratulations.

Thanks, but why the hatred? Again, just posting my opinion, isn't that allowed?

Pretty good gig at CBS-Kelly tried the analyst thing and got canned by ESPN. What does Sterling Sharpe have anything to do with my argument?? Again, I dont wish anything bad for the guy, just making the point that others have done much better after retirement. He's a borderline Hall of Famer that choked in the big game.

Thanks, but why the hatred? Again, just posting my opinion, isn't that allowed?

Can you point out what the Elway's and Marino's of the world have done to establish things like Universal Newborn Screening? What multiple youth-serving organizations have they founded?

Please define "doing better"...is it simply the fact that you can see them on TV?

Can you point out what the Elway's and Marino's of the world have done to establish things like Universal Newborn Screening? What multiple youth-serving organizations have they founded?

Please define "doing better"...is it simply the fact that you can see them on TV?

Your right, my bad. I totally forgot about his acting success in that movie Necessary Roughness.

That's a little harsh on #12, bro. Jimbo took more than his fair share of shots to the head and/or solar plexus in his day, so cut the guy a break. He wasn't too bad on the ESPN set before he decided to spend more time on his Hunter's Hope Foundation. And he has pushed hard for more newborn screening nationwide - tough to argue with that one. His football camps have been enjoyed by and inspired greatness in thousands upon thousands of young players. And he puts on a wonderful (and completely free) Day of Hope every Valentine's Day at the fieldhouse for this area with very little fanfare, other than from those who attend and enjoy the day's events with their kids.

Jimbo has accomplished about a thousand times the things you and I put together can rightfully claim in our lives. We all know that he was at times a rooster-sure and arrogant @$$ when he strode into town, as is also evident to those who saw the recent 30-for-30 on Elway/Marino. But he certainly matured over time into a true Buffalo-backer, to the point that he has resided here ever since he played. So to say his "post-career" is a complete mess is just plain ignorant.

And you need to get over your assumed run-in with Jimbo while out on the town. After his playing days were over, I happened to line up and take a whiz a few urinals away from Jimbo back in the earlier days of Chippewa, at McMonkees of all places. I saw him tip the bathroom guy a cool 20-spot on the way out, perhaps paying back some of that bad karma he generated as a younger NFL gunslinger.

By that time, he certainly was, and is, cool as can be. I also know someone who helped take care of Jimbo during one of his recent surgeries. This guy is not from Buffalo originally, and he told me some great stories about how Jimbo busted balls with other patients/hospital workers, and he said #12 made sure to give him a personalized football as a thank you.

Get well, Jimbo ... the best damn QB we have ever had, and probably will ever have.

Jim does good things for the Buffalo area, always while he played & after he played. No reason to knock a guy that's ill that's been a HOF star for our town. He's also supposed to have a few buyers for the Bills & the odds on Ralph listenening to many folks past Jim is not too high, let's all try to keep this in mind.

Fine, then do it right like Bruce Smith- just go away.

I agree with 90% of this.

I also wish Jim Kelly would do like most of the early 90's team members and move onto something else.