ESPN article ranks Marv Levy # 17

That is a seriously funny line considering the nature of this forum.

But one doesn't need to know anything about hunting to have the "opinion" that one doesn't see the sport in it. Some may feel the same about tiddly-winks. Or lawn bowling. Big deal.

GO BILLS!!!

Difference is I don't call a lawn bowler a murderer.

http://www.animalwritings.com/2004/12/nfl-hall-of-fame-coach-marv-levy-on.asp

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back from an all-day hike here in Colorado. Gotta weigh in. I like mrags as a poster but you could wake me up in the middle of the night fresh off a 4-day bender in the middle of the woods including a bad acid trip and I could tell you that it was a 47-yard field goal. That's Bills knowledge 101. Another figure about that game that I'll never forget is that the Bills were (by most accounts) a 7 1/2 point favorite. It was really the only one they were expected to win.

ESPN article ranks Marv # 17 in rating of all time coaches. I think that's fair, and that Marv achieved great things as a coach here. I admire much of what he did and stands for, but I do not believe he belongs in the Hall of Fame. He was handed an unbelievably talented roster - the two most important positions (QB and pass rusher) he had hall of famers, including arguably a best ever (Bruce Smith). Toss in a hall of fame RB, the best special teams player ever (Tasker) and the greatest linebacker who will never make the hall of fame (Bennett). My biggest criticism of Marv is his failure recognize what his team was and coordinate offensive & defensive philosophies. The Bills had one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history, virtually unstoppable at times. Given that, what is the worst possible defensive philosophy/scheme you could adopt? Well the one Marv did, a bend don't break type defense. With an offense like the Bills had, the last thing you would want is a defense that bends and allows the opposing team to possess the ball for long periods of time, keeping your prolific offense on the sideline. Should have an attacking, high risk defense because even if you give up a quick TD, you have that great offense getting the ball back. This killed them in the first Superbowl, as the Giants held the ball for large chunks of time. Terribly out coached that game. When your defensive philosophy is so badly mismatched to the offense you have, that is on the head coach. It was Marv's biggest failure.

Is there a Hall of fame coach that did not have a talented roster? or a coach that has much success at all without a good QB?

Nah---more like KC Jones of the great Celtics teams of the 80's. They say he "coached" by simply rolling out the ball to midcourt at practice.

Few NFL teams have been as satacked on both sides of the ball as Marv's 4 SB teams. To not win a single title tells us more about the coach than anything else. In the last 3, they were simply not prepared well. That exposed Levy.

To be fair, those Bills teams also went against some of the "most stacked" NFC teams too. The two Cowboys teams and the Redskin team had equal or far more super stars than those Bills teams. The Bills teams had very average DBs, OL and DL talent. If Ted Washington could have made it to those SB teams, the Bills win one of those games.

Is there a Hall of fame coach that did not have a talented roster? or a coach that has much success at all without a good QB?

The closest would be Joe Gibbs, considering that he won 3 SBs with three different QBs. His stamp was in building great OL.

Marv as a GM was only a figurehead. I think if he was younger, and was a real GM, he would have been a great one. He had an eye for talent and was great at running an organization.

Halas-Lombardi pic:

chi_g_lombardi_halas_b1_400.jpg

There is no evidence to conclude that Levy would have been a great, or even a good GM, but a whole lot of proof does exist that he was, and would have been one of the worst ever.

I believe your comment about Levy being influential wrt the Bills drafts of the 90's. The strong emphasis on defensive backs has his signature all over it, and in those days it was less of a passing league. He did little to replace the stars who were getting on in years, instead focusing on DBs. The drafts between 1990 and 1994 were nothing short of ridiculous.

http://www.drafthist...php/teams/bills

In 2006, he devoted the draft primarily to defensive backs, and hired his clone, Dick Jauron. Levy's tenure as GM set this team back many years. I respect your opinion, but the facts speak for themselves.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Marv is a vegetarian.

if acty true, even more of a reason not to like him.

Jim has to agree with me in this one.

There is no evidence to conclude that Levy would have been a great, or even a good GM, but a whole lot of proof does exist that he was, and would have been one of the worst ever.

I believe your comment about Levy being influential wrt the Bills drafts of the 90's. The strong emphasis on defensive backs has his signature all over it, and in those days it was less of a passing league. He did little to replace the stars who were getting on in yers, instead focusing on DBs. The drafts between 1990 and 1994 were nothing short of ridiculous.

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/bills

In 2006, he devoted the draft primarily to defensive backs, and hired his clone, Dick Jauron. Levy's tenure as GM set this team back many years. I respect your opinion, but the facts speak for themselves.

in all fairness to the defensive back "heavy" drafting philosophy of Marv. When you've for Bruce, Hansen, Talley, Bennett, Paup, Speilman on the field in your front 7, is there really a need to draft more DLmen?

if acty true, even more of a reason not to like him.

Jim has to agree with me in this one.

Yes what someone chooses to eat is an excellent reason not to like them. Well done.

Besides, the point was that Marv wasn't being hypocritical in the pork chop way that Jim implied. Otherwise, I would agree with Jim that people who criticize hunting while happily chowing down on packaged meat don't have much of a leg to stand on. Hunting your meat is much more honest, in my opinion.

Full disclosure: I am a vegetarian. Feel free not to like me either. Marv and I can console ourselves over a nice plate of Tofurkey. :rolleyes:

Edited by Last Guy on the Bench

Yes what someone chooses to eat is an excellent reason not to like them. Well done.

Besides, the point was that Marv wasn't being hypocritical in the pork chop way that Jim implied. Otherwise, I would agree with Jim that people who criticize hunting while happily chowing down on packaged meat don't have much of a leg to stand on. Hunting your meat is much more honest, in my opinion.

Full disclosure: I am a vegetarian. Feel free not to like me either. Marv and I can console ourselves over a nice plate of Tofurkey. :rolleyes:

calm down guy and have a stalk of Rhubarb or something. It was a joke.

calm down guy and have a stalk of Rhubarb or something. It was a joke.

Rhubarb :lol:. Now that's actually funny.

It's all good. I'm a big admirer of Marv, so this thread has gotten me worked up a bit. I just don't understand the narrow (and in my opinion unrealistic) views on coaching that equate quality with how things turn out in a handful of games rather than looking at the body of work as a whole.

But you never called me a murderer, as Marv did, for harvesting and eating meat. he and you can eat all the beans you wish,I don't care, But Marv choose to make a I am better than you issue of it.

But you never called me a murderer, as Marv did, for harvesting and eating meat. he and you can eat all the beans you wish,I don't care, But Marv choose to make a I am better than you issue of it.

technically Beans would make you a murderer too wouldn't they? Pretty sure they are included in the meat section of the food pyramid.

Yup. I was right. Here it is.

post-11267-0-13292200-1369750240_thumb.jpg

The important thing is the beans where willing and you gave them a fair chance at harvest time.

oh yeah, can't forget that. The beans could just say F%#K it and not grow. That's how they fight the man with the gun.

The thought of a man with a shotgun standing over and pointing his gun at a bean in the dirt is cracking me up right now.

Grow damn it!!!

Can I happily chow down on my packaged meat and feel there is a difference between raising/hunting animals for food vs. hunting them for trophies?

GO BILLS!!!