Brian Urlacher annouces his retirement from the NFL

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully he saved his money. If not, it makes me wonder why he wouldn't just take the $3 million offer from Chicago to play for a year. For the most part, he's been the face of the franchise here for awhile.

I proud day for any Chicago Bears fans out there... It always saddened me after our Super Bowl year how one by one the greats made their way to another team for their final seasons... It was just weird, I'm thankful Bears fans don't have to feel that way about Urlacher... Awesome player

Hopefully he saved his money. If not, it makes me wonder why he wouldn't just take the $3 million offer from Chicago to play for a year. For the most part, he's been the face of the franchise here for awhile.

I think it was a pride thing with the Bears/Urlacher. He is a god in Chicago... he probably confused his stature amongst fans with his actual on-field value to the team. Thing is, I don't necessarily think the guy has nothing left. He is awfully injury prone, but, IMO, when healthy, was actually better with age. Early on, I think he was a tad overrated, but the guy cared enough to improve on his game. Experience did a lot for him. Football fans in some circles have a tendancy to give drafted players attributes, based on their name (or yeah, even the color of their skin) that they really don't have...we kind of experienced a bit of that with Paul Posluszny.

I think it was a pride thing with the Bears/Urlacher. He is a god in Chicago... he probably confused his stature amongst fans with his actual on-field value to the team. Thing is, I don't necessarily think the guy has nothing left. He is awfully injury prone, but, IMO, when healthy, was actually better with age. Early on, I think he was a tad overrated, but the guy cared enough to improve on his game. Experience did a lot for him. Football fans in some circles have a tendancy to give drafted players attributes, based on their name (or yeah, even the color of their skin) that they really don't have...we kind of experienced a bit of that with Paul Posluszny.

yea, i think there was a lot of pride, and it seemed like behind closed doors there were serious issues between he and management on how it was handled that may not have been just financial (along the lines of "hell no i wont take that offer after the way he treated me").

What offer?

I had read that the Bears had zero interest in bringing him back.

Regardless, what an awesome player.

What offer?

I had read that the Bears had zero interest in bringing him back.

Regardless, what an awesome player.

OK, I got the amount wrong, but here's the article. They did have an offer out to him, but it maxed out at $2 million. You can read for yourself.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-20/sports/chi-chicago-bears-brian-urlacher-20130308_1_brian-urlacher-phil-emery-and-coach-bears-offer

OK, I got the amount wrong, but here's the article. They did have an offer out to him, but it maxed out at $2 million. You can read for yourself.

http://articles.chic...ach-bears-offer

Thanks.

Pretty dishonest move by the Bears, knowing he would never take the offer. Then they took two linebackers in the draft so clearly they were moving on.

As Urlacher said, "I just wish they would have said, 'We don't want you back.' I think this whole thing is just about them saving face and trying to say that they made a run at me."

Thanks.

Pretty dishonest move by the Bears, knowing he would never take the offer. Then they took two linebackers in the draft so clearly they were moving on.

As Urlacher said, "I just wish they would have said, 'We don't want you back.' I think this whole thing is just about them saving face and trying to say that they made a run at me."

I don't disagree with that either. Things got acrimonious pretty quickly here with the barbs going back and forth on the evening sports reports. None the less, Urlacher wasn't the same guy last year that he's been in the years before. Slower getting to runners; not as good as helping in pass coverage; etc. If he were as good, his phone would have been ringing off the hook. Unfortunately for him, it was silent.

Thanks.

Meh...whatever. If the Bears had done that, they would have been vilified for 'tossing Urlacher to the curb' or other similar nonsense; and Urlacher would have used that to his advantage if he could.

Everyone understands how the b.s. game is played when making player decisions so no one should cry about it when teams follow the established script.

Meh...whatever. If the Bears had done that, they would have been vilified for 'tossing Urlacher to the curb' or other similar nonsense; and Urlacher would have used that to his advantage if he could.

Everyone understands how the b.s. game is played when making player decisions so no one should cry about it when teams follow the established script.

my impression of the whole situation is it went sour far upstream from the actual offer, and most of the last 6 months (including the offer) was just the type of thing that comes with a messy breakup.

my impression of the whole situation is it went sour far upstream from the actual offer, and most of the last 6 months (including the offer) was just the type of thing that comes with a messy breakup.

From local Chicago media, that's about right. It wasn't just the Bears either. Every time a mic was put in front of Brian, he was talking about the front office and how they're not being fair, etc.

Hope Kiko Alonso models his game after Urlacher as a relentless sideline to sideline playmaker.

I was thinking Ray Lewis but worst case scenario I guess being like Urlacher beats being cut, traded for someone else drafted in the first two rounds or for someone also named Kiko or being suspended for unauthorized adderall use.