[OT] Official 24 thread

Just Jack

As someone else mentioned...I don't know why you watch it.  I know why I watch it: the wife does.  :w00t:  But others with as much or more knowledge as you on the topic have asked me "Is it worth watching?"  I simply tell them it's not, because it'll drive them up the wall with its unreality...just like Law & Order does with many attorneys. 

And it's scary how many people DO actually think reality is like this show.  I know my wife does, and worries that terrorists might actually use this season as a blueprint for attacking us.  I try to tell her that we should be so lucky that they'd be so stupid...

326701[/snapback]

I watched the first season - which actually kept the ridiculousness to a minimum. Each year they have to go further and further away from reality to fill all 24 episodes. If there's a fifth season, I won't be watching.

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody else hoping that Jack would just blow Audrey away in the climactic OR scene?  God - I hope she just goes away now.

326700[/snapback]

when she got clearance to fly what's his name out of town....i thought there would be a whole twist with either him or her forcing the plane down to save the world somehow.

oh well...guess that won't happen.

Last night's episode had the funniest line of the seaon.

Director Buchanon to Clohe: "We don't have time for your personality disorder."

<_<:D:P

She looked at him as if to say, "don't you realize I just blew some dude away? And it didn't phase me one bit?!!?"

Looks like SOD Heller decides to come off the crapper and return to the show next week. Apparently it may be his son that was in the opening episodes that got the ball rolling on this seasons disaster.

Caveat-- I love 24 and really enjoy the show.

That said, there has been a terrorist planned nuclear meltdown, Air Force One was shot down and the Pres is in a Coma, there is an armed Nuke ready to launch and the Secretary of State thinks its important to allow an investigator from the Chinese Consolate to question CTU agents in the middle of everything so as not to upset the Chinese government. <_<

Am I wrong in thinking that if all this was going on and the person with information to stopping it was in the consolate, that the Gov't SHOULD HAVE GONE ON TV and announced that they were raiding the embassy to get the guy if he wasn't handed over in 5 minutes.

Caveat-- I love 24 and really enjoy the show.

That said, there has been a terrorist planned nuclear meltdown, Air Force One was shot down and the Pres is in a Coma, there is an armed Nuke ready to launch and the Secretary of State thinks its important to allow an investigator from the Chinese Consolate to question CTU agents in the middle of everything so as not to upset the Chinese government.  <_<

Am I wrong in thinking that if all this was going on and the person with information to stopping it was in the consolate, that the Gov't SHOULD HAVE GONE ON TV and announced that they were raiding the embassy to get the guy if he wasn't handed over in 5 minutes.

332673[/snapback]

Seriously.. China would want to B word and moan, but they would not want to risk nuclear war over some loser citizen of theirs. The raid would not have been even necessary in real life. Usually regimes that believe due process is a bullet in the head, do not become idealistic over some wayward national. They would have tried to extract some favor from the Americans but would have given up the scientist in a minute unless he knew something damaging to the Chinese government.

Seriously.. China would want to B word and moan, but they would not want to risk nuclear war over some loser citizen of theirs. The raid would not have been even necessary in real life.  Usually regimes that believe due process is a bullet in the head, do not become idealistic over some wayward national. They would have tried to extract some favor from the Americans but would have given up the scientist in a minute unless he knew something damaging to the Chinese government.

332678[/snapback]

Agreed. That's why Palmer's strategy was actually realistic. Everyone knew what "really" happened and the Chinese would know the stakes (= Marwan's nuke is on the loose somewhere). You're absolutely right the Chinese would want a payback but both sides would look for a plausible face story to sell to the public.

What I found really beyond the pale (pail?) was CTU completely dropping its pants for Chang. There's such a thing as cooperation, but this guy was getting classified information that a few hours ago Chloe wouldn't share with Edgar.

This whole Palmer effectively taking over as president bothers me as well. First off, if he's being brought in as an advisor, why is the VP just running away to his office. Even if the VP thought he needed experience guiding things, he should at least be seeing what happens and overruling when necessary.

It also feels like a man inviting someone to have sex with his wife because he cannot satisfy her enough. Very emasculating...

True. And it is funny how the Chinese insisted on waiting to provide an affirmation about handing Lee over -- but refused to wait even a few hours to talk to CTU. At this point, Palmer should have told the Chinese that they will have our full cooperation -- tomorrow.

Last night's episode had the funniest line of the seaon.

Director Buchanon to Clohe:  "We don't have time for your personality disorder."

<_<  :D  :P

332657[/snapback]

. . . and maybe for the first time ever a comic scene on 24: Chloe offering to be there for Jack. I didn't know Kiefer Sutherland could make an expression like that.

Good episode tonight.

It is GREAT to see Mandy back on the show. Maybe Jack and her will finally have the showdown that has been a long time coming since Season 1.

I don't watch the previews though, so if they showed anything, put it in yellow text please :doh:

So I turn to my wife and I say, "they've been chasing this guy [Marwan] for 21 hours and now that they've got him they have two agents walk him out to an SUV alone. How stupid is that?" And no sooner do I finish saying that than . . .

So I turn to my wife and I say, "they've been chasing this guy [Marwan] for 21 hours and now that they've got him they have two agents walk him out to an SUV alone.  How stupid is that?"  And no sooner do I finish saying that than . . .

338038[/snapback]

Yeah, that part sucked.

Oh well. You have to expect that sort of thing with the show...which is bad I guess. But I still love the show.

you guys kill me (well, most of you). it's not reality, it's entertainment. you are supposed to suspend belief. no one in their right mind believes that all of this would happen in a 24-hour timeframe.

maybe i should start a thread where i nitpick star wars to death and express my disbelief that they gave the most powerful villain in the galaxy a costume that looks like it was made from spare vacuum cleaner parts.

just enjoy the damn show. it's entertaining as hell. :doh:

Actually what bothered me most was that you could see misfortune for Tony coming a mile away. As soon as they sat down Tony and Michelle for a couple minutes of the show to discuss their "future" I thought, "he's getting killed" or something else bad is going to happen. Sure enough.

Good episode tonight.

It is GREAT to see Mandy back on the show. Maybe Jack and her will finally have the showdown that has been a long time coming since Season 1.

I don't watch the previews though, so if they showed anything, put it in yellow text please :doh:

338014[/snapback]

Who is Mandy? Is she the one that took Tony hostage? I don't remember her from season 1. :doh:

you guys kill me (well, most of you).  it's not reality, it's entertainment.  you are supposed to suspend belief.  no one in their right mind believes that all of this would happen in a 24-hour timeframe.

maybe i should start a thread where i nitpick star wars to death and express my disbelief that they gave the most powerful villain in the galaxy a costume that looks like it was made from spare vacuum cleaner parts.

just enjoy the damn show.  it's entertaining as hell.  :doh:

338115[/snapback]

Perhaps people shouldn't complain too much, but this show is based on the assumption that it is set in a present-day situation. Therefore, it has a higher realism standard than a piece of science fiction. Wouldn't we criticize a football movie that has the teams having five downs? Even fiction has certain rules it should follow.

That being said, I am far more annoyed by Hollywood getting history wrong rather than stuff in a show like this wrong.