No Bills talk on WGR

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Murph has great guests, but I'm more impressed with his ability to toe the company line while still sounding objective. It's funny that the two best broadcasters on the station, Sylvester and Murph aren't even employed by the station. And unfortunately for Sylvester, he has to talk about hockey all the time. With the NFL there's intrigue year round. The NHL...not even close. Don't get me wrong, I love the Sabres. I have season tickets and have played hockey since I was 3, but the thought of hockey talk in July is absurd.

Agreed on the Sabres show...love the Sabres, and listened pretty religiously all season, but lately, I just have it on in the backround, and realize I have no idea what Sylvester and Peters are rambling on about. I don't really hold it against them, but, as much as I love hockey, I am more than willing to admit, I don't know the other NHL teams as well as I know the Sabres...and, for whatever reason, I can listen to football talk, most of the time, whether they are talking about the Bills or the Bengals for that matter. I just find the NFL more interesting, as a whole. I think Sylverster has a pretty tough job, as far as sports talk goes. He has to be going bonkers by now...a lock-out, a miserable season, and now the off-season. At this point, after the Sabres season is over, the best thing about "Hockey Hotline" is that it saves us from Colin Cowherd!

If Sylvester is struggling for content, that's his own fault.

Part of this radio market is Southern Ontario where there are very hard core hockey fans.

How many players have played for the Sabres and Leafs? Coaches? How many retired referees and trainers who make the banquet circuit that have very funny insights and anecdotes?

The list of possible interesting guests is virtually unlimited.

Has Sylvester ever had Rick Vaive (who played for and was captain of both the Sabres and the Leafs) on as a guest? How many interesting guests could he have with nothing but a few well-placed phone calls?

A large part of the problem with some of these guys is laziness.

Make 6 phone calls a day. Leave open invitations. Make follow up calls. Brainstorm guests.

If he runs out of guests or subjects, he's simply not trying hard enough.

If Sylvester is struggling for content, that's his own fault.

Part of this radio market is Southern Ontario where there are very hard core hockey fans.

How many players have played for the Sabres and Leafs? Coaches? How many retired referees and trainers who make the banquet circuit that have very funny insights and anecdotes?

The list of possible interesting guests is virtually unlimited.

Has Sylvester ever had Rick Vaive (who played for and was captain of both the Sabres and the Leafs) on as a guest? How many interesting guests could he have with nothing but a few well-placed phone calls?

A large part of the problem with some of these guys is laziness.

Make 6 phone calls a day. Leave open invitations. Make follow up calls. Brainstorm guests.

If he runs out of guests or subjects, he's simply not trying hard enough.

agree 1000x%

Sylvester is just going through the motions, Peters is completely unqualified, and the show puts both on display.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's simply a function of you like what you like. Radio is in a constant battle between does content drive the listener or do listeners drive the content?

Every poster on this board is a "die hard Bills fan," or "first time caller, long time listener" or "season ticket holder for x amount of years" to somehow quantify how their fandom is more real, tangible or valuable than any other and in reality this is a false equilivization.

First of all, no one cares, and WGR and Entercom management are not gonna up and reconfigure their entire station for the complaints of .000001 % of their listening audience.

If anything, the only thing their management and corporate concerns are selling air time, Arbitron ratings and website hits and content numbers. THAT's what matters in commercial radio, folks. Selling airtime and making money.

WGR was number #1 Men 25-54 fall 2012, which is the king of male demos in this town. Bar none. Had a strong overall book in Spring 2013. Advertisers care about ratings, and WGR gets great ratings, no matter how many Bills topics their hosts do in May. May, ya know, when hockey and basketball are in playoffs and NFL athletes are in "Organized Team Activities," or as any other sport would call it, PRACTICE. The NFL is arguably the most pretentious of sports leagues but that's another conversation for another day.

And lastly. The John Murphy Show is PAID PROGRAMMING. It's the same as any infomercial you'll catch at 3 am on tv. The Bills run their own radio show, sell their own show, and create all the content. It's state run media, and don't let any "die hard, season ticket holding" fan tell you any different. Listen with an honest skepticism. Do you really care about what book some no name DB on that "great 1972 Bills team" wrote? Of course you don't.

John Murphy pre tapes nearly every segment on the show, and rarely does his show live for 2 hours from the cushy confines of One Bills Drive. Now, nearly every broadcaster these days pre tapes interviews, but good lord when I first heard the sports anchor say "this is Buffalo Bills radio" i nearly spit out my coffee in the car.

WGR was the voice of criticism, skepticism and honest doubt about sports and the Bills in general in this town. It's a joke that they mail in 20/20's on Murphys show, and that they wont even a) legally identify their own station during his show, and b) operate under the same rules the rest of their programming, including Hockey Hotline does on a daily basis.

Does anybody remember when WGR had Brad Riter on nights and it was arguably the best talk radio in this town, period? And no, this is not Brad Riter who wrote this post.

Brad was definitely the best talk radio in town.

I knew Murph pre-tapes some segments. But, I was wondering - he's there for the whole thing, isn't he? Or else how do they do the call ins?

What do you mean by :b) operate under the same rules the rest of their programming, including Hockey Hotline does on a daily basis.

I think it's simply a function of you like what you like. Radio is in a constant battle between does content drive the listener or do listeners drive the content?

Every poster on this board is a "die hard Bills fan," or "first time caller, long time listener" or "season ticket holder for x amount of years" to somehow quantify how their fandom is more real, tangible or valuable than any other and in reality this is a false equilivization.

First of all, no one cares, and WGR and Entercom management are not gonna up and reconfigure their entire station for the complaints of .000001 % of their listening audience.

If anything, the only thing their management and corporate concerns are selling air time, Arbitron ratings and website hits and content numbers. THAT's what matters in commercial radio, folks. Selling airtime and making money.

WGR was number #1 Men 25-54 fall 2012, which is the king of male demos in this town. Bar none. Had a strong overall book in Spring 2013. Advertisers care about ratings, and WGR gets great ratings, no matter how many Bills topics their hosts do in May. May, ya know, when hockey and basketball are in playoffs and NFL athletes are in "Organized Team Activities," or as any other sport would call it, PRACTICE. The NFL is arguably the most pretentious of sports leagues but that's another conversation for another day.

And lastly. The John Murphy Show is PAID PROGRAMMING. It's the same as any infomercial you'll catch at 3 am on tv. The Bills run their own radio show, sell their own show, and create all the content. It's state run media, and don't let any "die hard, season ticket holding" fan tell you any different. Listen with an honest skepticism. Do you really care about what book some no name DB on that "great 1972 Bills team" wrote? Of course you don't.

John Murphy pre tapes nearly every segment on the show, and rarely does his show live for 2 hours from the cushy confines of One Bills Drive. Now, nearly every broadcaster these days pre tapes interviews, but good lord when I first heard the sports anchor say "this is Buffalo Bills radio" i nearly spit out my coffee in the car.

WGR was the voice of criticism, skepticism and honest doubt about sports and the Bills in general in this town. It's a joke that they mail in 20/20's on Murphys show, and that they wont even a) legally identify their own station during his show, and b) operate under the same rules the rest of their programming, including Hockey Hotline does on a daily basis.

Does anybody remember when WGR had Brad Riter on nights and it was arguably the best talk radio in this town, period? And no, this is not Brad Riter who wrote this post.

I get what you are saying, but it is a very good show, no matter when it is taped, or who pays for it. It is refreshing to hear something that covers all things Bills instead of "holding them to the fire". Its nice to cut through the skepticism and learn about the players, team, what former players are up to, speak to coaches, etc... We need that too. We dont have it anywhere else here as the "marketing genious" that runs the team provides no content. If you go to other markets such as Philadelphia, they have similar programming both on television and radio (even in newspaper).

They also have their "jocks" on the air who take calls and swing away at the team.

Im normally a cynic/negative guy when it comes to the Bills too.

I flipped on Rich Gaenzler yesterday on 1270(or whatever station he is on from 12-3), and he had on a guest who covers ND football talking about the Everett Gholston mess, and what to expect from ND in 2013. I am far from a ND fan, but how refreshing it was from this...

Mon - Sully/Hamilton/Bills

Tue - Hamilton/Sabres

Wed - Sully/Bills

Thu - Hamilton/Sabres

Fri - Sabres/Bills/Sabres/Bills

Following week - rinse/repeat

If WGR hosts/producers put a little effort into booking guests, and being just a little knowledgeable about other sports, it would make a world of difference. One other thing...stop taking calls for the most part. The people who call in are mainly idiots who just want to hear themselves talk.

I agree ^^

the format is tired. Figure out a topic and take calls. Topics are usually recycled and beat to death.

Since 1270 came on, it has been refreshing to hear about local NCAA Basketball (which I found interesting), Bandits (which I dont care, but enjoyed hearing about), other markets, NCAA Football.... Bills and Sabres are covered too, but not killed, so its fresh.

It has much more of an Empire Sports feel to it.

I flipped on Rich Gaenzler yesterday on 1270(or whatever station he is on from 12-3), and he had on a guest who covers ND football talking about the Everett Gholston mess, and what to expect from ND in 2013. I am far from a ND fan, but how refreshing it was from this...

Mon - Sully/Hamilton/Bills

Tue - Hamilton/Sabres

Wed - Sully/Bills

Thu - Hamilton/Sabres

Fri - Sabres/Bills/Sabres/Bills

Following week - rinse/repeat

If WGR hosts/producers put a little effort into booking guests, and being just a little knowledgeable about other sports, it would make a world of difference. One other thing...stop taking calls for the most part. The people who call in are mainly idiots who just want to hear themselves talk.

Yes. 1000 times yes!................Callers add absolutely nothing. Totally boring............I'd love to hear somebody talk about the ND QB mess right now. Do you think Schopp knows who Golston is?