Buddy Nix Steps Down as GM

Bills fans are nothing if not resourceful. If there is nothing to worry or complain about we invent something.

PTR

Russ tells the truth: "OMG why is Russ tipping his hand to everyone in the league? Doesn't he know a thing about subterfuge!"

Russ doesn't tell the exact truth: "OMG Russ is a huge liar! He has no credibility around the league!"

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russ tells the truth: "OMG why is Russ tipping his hand to everyone in the league? Doesn't he know a thing about subterfuge!"

Russ doesn't tell the exact truth: "OMG Russ is a huge liar! He has no credibility around the league!"

Pretty accurate, except "subterfuge" is way too big of a word for most of the population. Try "keepin' secrets."

Bills fans are nothing if not resourceful. If there is nothing to worry or complain about we invent something.

PTR

Even people with T.Rex arms shouldn't find it too big a reach to complain about something over the last decade plus. I mean when the fan sprays it all over you, how far out of your way did you really go? :lol:

Still, Bills fans are nothing if not resourceful. If there is nothing to applaud or celebrate about we invent something. :beer:

Even people with T.Rex arms shouldn't find it too big a reach to complain about something over the last decade plus. I mean when the fan sprays it all over you, how far out of your way did you really go? :lol:

Still, Bills fans are nothing if not resourceful. If there is nothing to applaud or celebrate about we invent something. :beer:

I know what you are but what am I?

It is funny how some people think if a poster isn't spewing venom from every orifice they are "drinking the kool-aid."

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

My bet would be Nix knew his days were numbered the day Brandon assumed control. He was probably told he would stay through the draft and then step down. And the reason for the delay between Nix's resignation and Whaley's promotion was to let each man have his day. No secret agendas or conspiracies.

PTR

I simply cannot believe Russ would be willing to lose his credibility and make a fool of himself by knowing that Nix was going to step down and still went ahead and quoted that Nix will be our GM for a long time.

I simply cannot believe Russ would be willing to lose his credibility and make a fool of himself by knowing that Nix was going to step down and still went ahead and quoted that Nix will be our GM for a long time.

The only credibility he holds that matters is with players and staff. I really could give a rat's ass what he says to the press if he can successfully oversee the effort to build a winner.

It is funny how some people think if a poster isn't spewing venom from every orifice they are "drinking the kool-aid."

PTR

True, but the same thing goes the other way. If a fan is critical at all they are "spewing venom" or "a hater." Personally, I just try to be as objective as possible which is sometimes positive and sometimes negative. The people who I tend not to listen to are the ones who are always positive or always negative - it all just becomes spin.

PTR

The point (and I even included emotions!) was that it is just as easy to paint everything entirely black as it is white. How often have the Bills made changes since the John Butler firing and how often has that change equated to quantifiable success on the football field? That's not "spewing venom"; it is objective reality. But, nah, it's just another chance to prematurely whip out the old "this time it is different" and "I'll tell you how to be a fan" rhetoric yet again.

(By the way, this shtick is as wrong as it is well-worn. While swinging your paint brush vigorously, you don't even realize that posters you've casually stuffed in the haters box can actually be hopeful about some of the recent changes.)

The point (and I even included emotions!) was that it is just as easy to paint everything entirely black as it is white. How often have the Bills made changes since the John Butler firing and how often has that change equated to quantifiable success on the football field? That's not "spewing venom"; it is objective reality. But, nah, it's just another chance to prematurely whip out the old "this time it is different" and "I'll tell you how to be a fan" rhetoric yet again.

(By the way, this shtick is as wrong as it is well-worn. While swinging your paint brush vigorously, you don't even realize that posters you've casually stuffed in the haters box can actually be hopeful about some of the recent changes.)

No but getting bent out of shape over Russ Brandon's comment on Nix is the definition of absurd.

Also it is impossible to know for sure what improvement may our may not come from any move by the Bills. Anyone who believes just being around a winner or loser automatically confers your skills is crazy.

People wanted Ralph out of the picture. We got that. People wanted the Bills to stop hiring tired retreads. We got that. People wanted a QB drafted #1. We got that.

But every time we get what we want someone comes along and invents a new reason to be upset.

The fact is no one knows how things will work out until they start playing football. So lets keep that in perspective before cutting our wrists

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

How could people who are down on the organization be criticized? The team hasnt won a playoff game in what, 17-18 years? Havent been to the playoffs in 13-14? Its awful. It doesnt take much imagination to see the same guy running the show as the past number of years (Brandon). As well as Littman and Overdorf. I dont buy that Ralph Wilson > the age of 90 has been wielding absolute power and has ruined everything.

I get the optimism. I wish I could really get on board. I cant. These same exact discussions were had when Brandon was promoted from GM, Nix was named "GM", and Gailey was named HC. To me, each of these changes every 3 years is a different shade of makeup.

I refuse to really give them the benefit of the doubt until they are a competitive NFL team. If I had to bet on it, I would say we are back here in 3-4 years with another "major" change that features a Russ Brandon changing his title and shuffling chairs again.

How could people who are down on the organization be criticized? The team hasnt won a playoff game in what, 17-18 years? Havent been to the playoffs in 13-14? Its awful. It doesnt take much imagination to see the same guy running the show as the past number of years (Brandon). As well as Littman and Overdorf. I dont buy that Ralph Wilson > the age of 90 has been wielding absolute power and has ruined everything.

I get the optimism. I wish I could really get on board. I cant. These same exact discussions were had when Brandon was promoted from GM, Nix was named "GM", and Gailey was named HC. To me, each of these changes every 3 years is a different shade of makeup.

I refuse to really give them the benefit of the doubt until they are a competitive NFL team. If I had to bet on it, I would say we are back here in 3-4 years with another "major" change that features a Russ Brandon changing his title and shuffling chairs again.

It's because the negativity never ends.

Lets play a game. Describe a scenario that would make you 100% happy and optimistic about the Bills before a single game is played? I just want to see if that is even possible.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Cleanse the organization of Brandon, Littman, and Overdorf. Bring in someone who is a game-changer committed to winning and building a top football "program". There are a few a year. You had Pete Carroll, Harbough, Andy Reid, Chip Kelly, Caldwell, etc. The reason they would never come here is the management. There are people I am not aware of, especially on the top level business side. People who have not been involved in the past decade and a half of the 2nd worst team in North American Professional Sports.

These half-assed changes only show me that they desire to keep fans at bay for awhile longer. They are mad that Brandon has the title of GM, get a "Football guy" as the front man (and say it 30 times in the press conference). Fans think we are too old, then put the younger faces at the front so we can fly the flag of the "youngest in the league". The fact is, not much has really changed. I have a hard time believing football decisions are made in 1 wing of OBD, while Russ Brandon is coming up with the 2013 Slogan.

I really dont think its a reach to be negative at this point. I am not a negative person. In fact, I am one of the few optimistic Sabres fans because I believe that ownership is actually committed to being a top NHL organization.

There is a meaningful change that has happened over the past few months that lends itself to realistic optimism. In your post you stated (maybe without recognizing it) the reason why there should be cautious optimism. You are correct that Wilson has not been as involved with the operation over the past few years as he has previously been. But without a doubt the structure of the organization was still a Ralph Wilson created structure.

No longer will the owner hire people he is simply comfortable with and he personally knows to run the football operation, such as Nix and Levy. Due to age and infirmity (not intending to be disrespectful) he is no longer involved in making his usual mercurial killer decisions.

In Whaley and Marrone under Brandon there will be a fresh set of eyes and new energy working to put this franchise back onto a more respectable path. There is no quick fix for a generation of stagnation. I get a sense that the environment of constant staff churning and lurching back and forth with no clear direction has changed to a philosophy of knowing who you are and what you want to do.

You rightly pointed out that Brandon as a GM was not an appropriate position for this marketing person. But that doesn't mean that Brandon being the president of the operation isn't the right job for him. So far he has smartly transitioned this very backwater organization into a more modern forward looking franchise. Based on history I understand the skepticism. However, I feel that the tide has changed for the good. Patience will still be required.

what choice do I have, but patience?

I do understand the optimism.

I guess the impetus of how I feel, is that I believe Brandon has basically been the authority since Donahoe left. In all facets, including football personnel decisions. People who take it at face value, and take them at their word that Brandon doesnt touch football, while Nix and now Whaley are 100% in charge of the onfield product will have a much better outlook.

This goes back to where Brandon's blatant dishonesty gets to me and why I believe that is a valid criticism. I dont have trust in what he publicly says.

I do like the coaching staff changes. Ill still be there opening day.

Edited by May Day 10

Cleanse the organization of Brandon, Littman, and Overdorf. Bring in someone who is a game-changer committed to winning and building a top football "program". There are a few a year. You had Pete Carroll, Harbough, Andy Reid, Chip Kelly, Caldwell, etc. The reason they would never come here is the management. There are people I am not aware of, especially on the top level business side. People who have not been involved in the past decade and a half of the 2nd worst team in North American Professional Sports.

These half-assed changes only show me that they desire to keep fans at bay for awhile longer. They are mad that Brandon has the title of GM, get a "Football guy" as the front man (and say it 30 times in the press conference). Fans think we are too old, then put the younger faces at the front so we can fly the flag of the "youngest in the league". The fact is, not much has really changed. I have a hard time believing football decisions are made in 1 wing of OBD, while Russ Brandon is coming up with the 2013 Slogan.

I really dont think its a reach to be negative at this point. I am not a negative person. In fact, I am one of the few optimistic Sabres fans because I believe that ownership is actually committed to being a top NHL organization.

So firing everyone connected with the Bills and hiring "someone" would make you optimistic? That someone you don't name is a retread coach. Andy Reid? Pete Carroll? Both have failed in their careers. Doesn't that disqualify them? Jim Harbaugh? Okay but is he quiting his job just to coach the Bills?

Funny you mention the Sabres. Terry Pegula had gone from being a savior to being a reviled evil figure I'm just two years.

PTR

So firing everyone connected with the Bills and hiring "someone" would make you optimistic? That someone you don't name is a retread coach. Andy Reid? Pete Carroll? Both have failed in their careers. Doesn't that disqualify them? Jim Harbaugh? Okay but is he quiting his job just to coach the Bills?

Funny you mention the Sabres. Terry Pegula had gone from being a savior to being a reviled evil figure I'm just two years.

PTR

they are all retreads I named, other than the non-retreads

the point is, a real injection/culture change. Teams needed it, went out and got it. I do not believe the Bills have gotten a true injection of culture change. To me, Russ Brandon represents more of the same. The team has become more and more irrelevant with his ascent.

Edited by May Day 10

No but getting bent out of shape over Russ Brandon's comment on Nix is the definition of absurd.

Also it is impossible to know for sure what improvement may our may not come from any move by the Bills. Anyone who believes just being around a winner or loser automatically confers your skills is crazy.

People wanted Ralph out of the picture. We got that. People wanted the Bills to stop hiring tired retreads. We got that. People wanted a QB drafted #1. We got that.

But every time we get what we want someone comes along and invents a new reason to be upset.

The fact is no one knows how things will work out until they start playing football. So lets keep that in perspective before cutting our wrists

PTR

I do get your frustration, and thanks for helping me see that point. I agree with the wait-and-see take completely.

You have every right to your opinion. And, so do other posters. You have a marvelous ability to see every move this organization makes as a big positive. And, in the context of football discussions, that's a great thing for good debate on this board. The only thing I don't appreciate is your attacking other fans here on the board for expressing their opinions, doubts, concerns and criticisms. The Bills deserve criticism. They have earned criticism by their own ineptitude. If no one can find fault with a 16-32 record, then this board reduces to nothing but mindless applauding automatons.

FWIW, I can still remember the glory days of this franchise and there were people very critical of the team then. They won more games than anybody, but there was always something for someone to criticize. If the Bills never lost another game in our lifetimes, you'd probably still find posts that weren't blowing sunshine all over your monitor.

I do get your frustration, and thanks for helping me see that point. I agree with the wait-and-see take completely.

You have every right to your opinion. And, so do other posters. You have a marvelous ability to see every move this organization makes as a big positive. And, in the context of football discussions, that's a great thing for good debate on this board. The only thing I don't appreciate is your attacking other fans here on the board for expressing their opinions, doubts, concerns and criticisms. The Bills deserve criticism. They have earned criticism by their own ineptitude. If no one can find fault with a 16-32 record, then this board reduces to nothing but mindless applauding automatons.

FWIW, I can still remember the glory days of this franchise and there were people very critical of the team then. They won more games than anybody, but there was always something for someone to criticize. If the Bills never lost another game in our lifetimes, you'd probably still find posts that weren't blowing sunshine all over your monitor.

Of course the Bills deserve criticism for their record. But why paint a new regime with the brush of the past? It's like hiring a new employee and telling them the last 10 people before them sucked at their job so you expect them to suck as well.

Of course since Whaley and Brandon have been around a few years before they were promoted they must have the stink of failure on them, like everyone who ever walked through the door at OBD, right?

PTR