Buddy Nix Steps Down as GM

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats even crazier, imo, are the fans that have been following sports for so long and still havent learned to take everything that comes out of the mouths of coaches and FO personnel with a grain of salt.

Q: What is to be gained by stateing puplicly that ol' Buddy is in for the long haul, when they clearly knew he was not?

Just asking.

I see your point but maybe something happened to change things. They were recruiting a FA (Dansby) and didn't want to announce it. Or maybe there were health reasons. Either way, it was a plan that was put into place awhile ago. I thank Nix for putting this team on more stable ground. Let's hope Whaley can help take it to the next level.

I'm glad it happened. I just didn't need the extra "oh crap, really" in my life when they originally said a LONG time. LOL.

I'm sorry, guys, these don't sound like the words of a man who knew he was being phased out or wasn't a big part of what happened over the past four months. From this article posted by Joe B at WGR:

Before he waved goodbye to the GM post, Nix said he thinks the organization is on the right track.

"I think the thing that probably I'm the most proud of will be the next two or three years if that makes any sense," he said. "I think we've got a really good, young roster. I love our head coach. I think he's a guy that's gonna win a lot of games here for a long time. And after spending the weekend with this group of rookies, 24 of them, I mean it's fun to watch."

Again, though, I'm surprised they haven't mentioned Whaley. From earlier in the article:

"I'm going to have my office at home. It'll be every thing I've got here," Nix added. "I get all the tape, I get everything. Whatever Russ, whoever the general manager is and Doug Marrone… anyway I can help I'll do it. I'm going to still come to camp. You guys, you're not going to get off that easy. I'll still be around."

Is it possible Whaley isn't the guy?

Q: What is to be gained by stateing puplicly that ol' Buddy is in for the long haul, when they clearly knew he was not?

Just asking.

Just asking.

Nothing to be gained necessarily. It's more that nothing was lost.

We don't know what negotiations and deals they are (or were) working on. Announcing the Buddy is on his way out, before it happens, makes him a lame duck.

Secondly, it's just the right way to do it out of respect for Buddy. And one thing this franchise has struggled with under Ralph's first 50 years in charge, was letting personnel go in a way where everyone feels good after the fact. How many bridges with coaches and GMs had Ralph burnt. Time for that to change as well. Once that part of the culture changes, it makes it easier to attract top coaching and FO personnel.

Bills could throw a wild card by hiring Darcy Regier. It's not like Ralph Wilson is totally out of the picture.

Nothing to be gained necessarily. It's more that nothing was lost.

We don't know what negotiations and deals they are (or were) working on. Announcing the Buddy is on his way out, before it happens, makes him a lame duck.

Secondly, it's just the right way to do it out of respect for Buddy. And one thing this franchise has struggled with under Ralph's first 50 years in charge, was letting personnel go in a way where everyone feels good after the fact. How many bridges with coaches and GMs had Ralph burnt. Time for that to change as well. Once that part of the culture changes, it makes it easier to attract top coaching and FO personnel.

THAT is actually an excellent point!

Hmm, never really considered that, but it's true. Sends a good message to other prospective hires the Bills are doing things better re: personnel.

What is to be lost?

I'm sorry, guys, these don't sound like the words of a man who knew he was being phased out or wasn't a big part of what happened over the past four months. From this article posted by Joe B at WGR:

Before he waved goodbye to the GM post, Nix said he thinks the organization is on the right track.

"I think the thing that probably I'm the most proud of will be the next two or three years if that makes any sense," he said. "I think we've got a really good, young roster. I love our head coach. I think he's a guy that's gonna win a lot of games here for a long time. And after spending the weekend with this group of rookies, 24 of them, I mean it's fun to watch."

Again, though, I'm surprised they haven't mentioned Whaley. From earlier in the article:

"I'm going to have my office at home. It'll be every thing I've got here," Nix added. "I get all the tape, I get everything. Whatever Russ, whoever the general manager is and Doug Marrone… anyway I can help I'll do it. I'm going to still come to camp. You guys, you're not going to get off that easy. I'll still be around."

It's odd that the announcements are not part and parcel.

That said, if I'm wagering I'm saying Whaley is the man.

Based on the first two minutes of the presser, it sounds to me like it was Buddy's decision.

It's odd that the announcements are not part and parcel.

That said, if I'm wagering I'm saying Whaley is the man.

I honestly think they are just giving each guy his day. Let Buddy do his "exit interviews" with WGR and what not, and then I bet we see a bigger announcement with Whaley and the youth movement. Just my guess.

I honestly think they are just giving each guy his day. Let Buddy do his "exit interviews" with WGR and what not, and then I bet we see a bigger announcement with Whaley and the youth movement. Just my guess.

Yeah, I can see that.

Buddy is Brandon's "Football Father". As such, he wants nothing to interfere with this organizational day of tribute to Mr. Nix.

SJBF puts it best when he says that just about everything comes down to the HC and QB acquisitions. It's hard for me to demonstrably say the non-QB talent on the team is significantly better or worse than when Buddy was hired as GM. I'd say that the lines are better, even with the loss of Levitre, but the defensive backfield (including LBs) is probably worse, as is the WR corps unless 2 of the rookies break out. Some (not all) of the Nix defenders seem to want to give him credit for Jauron-era additions like Stevie Johnson, or credit their development to Gailey, while simultaneously blaming all of his failures on Gailey. But the bottom line is that Nix is directly responsible for Gailey's record, and it sucks. And Nix inherited a roster with Trent Edwards, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Brian Brohm as the QBs, and didn't bring in a credible challenger for the job for 3 years. These are monumental failures.

I think some of the people defending Nix sound like opposing coaches after a RB kills their team. "Take away those 4 long runs and we held him to 30 yards." Yeah, but unfortunately the 4 long runs still count. Take away Buddy's HC hire, QB acquisitions/lack thereof, and W/L record, and his tenure as GM looks fine. Unfortunately, the things being discounted are by far the most important aspects of a GM's job.

Now having said all that, Buddy's tenure will basically be redeemed if Manuel is awesome. It's unfortunate that it took him 3 full years to bring in a QB, but if he got the right one (and the right coach to develop him), the team will be in fine shape going forward. Let's hope so. Go Bills!

Agree, kind of what Brandon alludes to in their press conf. Whaley was brought in and has stayed here for a specific reason which will come to fruition very soon.